Anonymous
Years ago

Juniors moving clubs

Its now the end of season and juniors may switch clubs. Many do just to stay in div 1 each year. So they go from a stronger to a weaker club. Others do for coaching reasons. As parents should we encourage this or try and teach club loyalty, especially if already at a strong club. Is this healthy for a child to continually swap clubs?

Topic #8792 | Report this topic

Baxter  
Years ago

Not sure if its healthy for the kid but one hell of way to collect a full set of BSA uniforms

Reply #98871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think it is teaching children good habits to allow them to switch clubs all the time. I think loyalty is important to a club but also i think it teaches the child to work towards being a better basketballer not just to play div one. Because ultimately if a child leaves a stronger club to play for a weaker one in div one does this necessarily mean that they will become a better player?? Probably not as they will always be behind those kids who beat them to a div one spot in the first place. Remaining at a club even in div two provides the opportunity to train against stronger players on a weekly basis and is probably more likely to improve the childs abilities than going to a weaker club where they can be the star.

Reply #98873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about 5 - 8 minutes court time in a strong div 1 team v a lot more court time in Div 1 at a weaker club. Surely more court time playing against stronger competition would be of some benefit. Given that very few people end up having a career from basketball surely the intention then is to play the game and not simply train.

Reply #98875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's never simple and never straight forward. Sometimes a coach may have a child playing in his or her team in the same position as your child.(move) Sometimes established players, naturally, are favoured because they've made their names.
Almost always the make-up of the team gets priority over ability. By this I mean if your child is a guard and the team is short on height,(and vice versa) it doesn't matter how good your are within reason.
Moving clubs is never about loyalty as it doesn't really exist in any material sense anymore. Few players stay at one club for their entire career.
Moving should not be seen as letting if its going to benefit the child. In fact in most cases its healthy as most kids in Div 1, in a good club wouldn't move unless they perceived they had a good reason.
Sometimes moving can result in the player improving and finding their niche and in other cases it proves to be 'the grass looked greener' scenario.
IMO players don't look around enough as this would put pressure on clubs to measure up. As I said established players (juniors)don't move because they'd have to restablish themselves and happy where they are

Reply #98881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too many people are to lazy to move. Go for it!

Reply #98887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here is another situation for you... player leaves club cause they (probably parents) dont want to play division 1 and struggle doesnt stay and play div 2 cause they dont want to play with the younger players (first year) in their age group

Reply #98906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

some players just move even though they play div 1 and get good court time. believe 3 or 4 from one club in one age group are about to go up a hill

Reply #98907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well if those 3-4 from Forestville are going up the hill (to Southern) then this might upset the apple cart a bit won't it? It will be a very competitive group indeed in U 16 girls.

Reply #98908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there any restrictions on moving clubs. Can clubs withhold a clearance

Reply #98920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not unless you owe money. Mind you one or two clubs will always make you wait for the full time limit.(a month)

Reply #98922 | Report this post

Stephen D  
Years ago

There are many reasons for leaving a club and going to another club, but it is important to leave for the right reasons, and not a means of running away from your problems.
Because, if you leave for the wrong reasons, you will most probably follow that trait throughtout life - and that is not good.

Sometimes a change can be very good. It brings upon new challenges and allows you to reach new heights.

For me, junior basketball is about 3 things:
1 - learning as much as you can and
2 - playing to the best of your ability.
3 - But more importantly it is about having fun. When the fun goes, so does the interest in the sport.

I do not think that we need to prevent juniors from moving clubs.

I do think that if a club is losing more players than it is gaining, then that can be a sign that everything is not as it should be.

And if one club is gaining far more players than the other clubs - maybe the other clubs can take note about what that club is doing differently.

Question - Can clubs approach juniors from other clubs to play for them? If not, why not?

Reply #98937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes and No! Not supposed to approach SASI players or poach juniors for the obvious reason that Clubs invest a lot of time and effort in juniors.
However,forget the above because the reality is quite the opposite with the leading clubs the culprits.

Reply #98940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Believe Stephen D's lad plays for the club and grade that 3 or 4 are leaving - girls or boys, Tassie or Qld ?

Reply #98948 | Report this post

Stephen D  
Years ago

Does one need to write into this forum as anonymous in order to get a fair say?

Reply #98950 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Yes it does a pier this way.

Reply #98975 | Report this post

Interesting  
Years ago

Juniors dont move clubs, parents do. It aften does not matter if the junior is playing and developing well, along with having fun with their friends. If the parents are not happy they rip the child to another club. Children can not screw up their basketball, it does not really matter if they have a good coach or a bad coach, if they have fun and put in they always improve their basketball. But the parent, oh yes the parent, many a time can screw up their childs basketball yet they all blame the club, the coach, the other players etc etc and it is never the parents fault. It is always the parents fault. Now some of these worst parents have moved to Sturt with less than average skilled children. This is how the strong clubs become weak and with time the weaker clubs become stronger.

Reply #98985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many times is too many? eg x4 by u16s

Reply #98986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed "intersting' that parents move kids, but for different reasons than you suggest. Very often coaches have baggage that impacts on players.
Nepotism can be a factor. Country kids keeping out better players is a real issue, look at Forestville this season just finished where better players hung in the 2's.
Clubs can screw up kids by not recognising for a multitude of reasons, their abilities.
Coaches are human and and sometimes don't like certain players or parents. Elite clubs are sometimes too big and one hand doesn't know what the other is doing and this allows some players to slip through.
Bottom line, if you can get opportunities to play at a higher level, do it. If you don't make it then you can only blame yourself and not the club.
It's an easy cop out for clubs to slam kids moving and create a blame situation. Good clubs would wish you well, hope you do well and look at themselves to see if maybe they could have done things differently.
Poor clubs make you feel stupid for going and guilty and Adelaide has a fair share of these types of clubs.

Reply #99010 | Report this post

Rob Shearwood  
Years ago

Stephen I know you well and my kid has played with yours through the grades. Most of what you say is true. I suggest moving clubs is not always the best. we tend to forget that kids are 13-14 years old and less than 1% will so called "make it" at the end of the day.

I suggests that you encourage your child like all parents should do to participate in as many other sports as they can. I encourage my lad to play footy, cricket and volleyball because it is good for his bball and vice versa and also it helps keep in perspective that bball is only a game and not the be all and end all that some think it is.

I quite often encourage my lad to do the other sport when the 2 conflict dependant on event.

Good coaching is important if you want your child to learn the correct way, but at the end of the day regardless of division, they have to play for the right reasons and most times that it is their mates. As long as they enjoy the experience.

Keep in mind the many good times they have together.

Reply #99011 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

Rob & Interesting make good points. You probably only need to answer one question: Will I enjoy the game more if I go to another club? If the answer is "don't know" then stay put.

As stated many times in many threads, the future NBL/WNBL players currently in the under 14s are not necessarily in div 1. They may just be that kid starting on the bench in div 4 & finishing the game with a smile on their face.

The smile is more important than the coach or the club - everything else can be fixed later.

Reply #99048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DaddyO, Can you name a dozen under 14's div 4 players that went on to NBL/WNBL? Maybe some boys that grew but a big call.
Also , How do you know if you'll enjoy the game more before swapping clubs? Only driven to succeed kids swap and ones who want to play not bench warm.
Im tired of the crap of juniors developing by playing 8- 10 minutes a game and being called good team players. Good team non-players IMO and at some considerable dollar cost.

Reply #99149 | Report this post

eldorado  
Years ago

my argument all along is a bench player in a higher junior div should be allowed to play in a lower div AKA like seniors.

ie benchie at a strong club squad of 10 on game night gets 4 mins of time - No player can maitain competitiveness with that.

they should be allowed to play in the next lower div team at that club - otherwise we will kill the talent off.

usually big clubs make promises or genuinely have more than 8 div 1 players

i say move if you are unhappy - and you never know - but do not be surprised if it is exactly the same at the next club.

If the best basketball brains are running it this way...... there may not be too many better ways

Reply #99160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree, training can only give you so much - you need to play to develop fully.

Reply #99161 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:31 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754