Panther
Years ago

Are Sturt and Eastern Sinking?

From all reports is the Death Star heading for a crash???
Oscar has left to go to NZ and will stay over there in the off season...(Isaac can you confirm?)
Paul Bauer was only coaching the one year...
Austin Smylie has returned to the states never to be seen again...
Both Ng's won't be playing due to studies....
The Bowley sisters- One retired, one moved away, one went to the market the other one stayed home...
No Stadium= No income...

Then you have Eastern...
Jacob Holmes not returning for his cameo appearances...
Brad Hill not playing next season (probably heading to another NBL club!)
Ben Madgen going to US for college...
Big Shaq leaving the club because...well because he just can!
Having to pull teams out of competitions due to lack of numbers, both juniors and seniors...

There will be some intereting things happening at these two clubs next season, maybe they should just merge, aren't they pretty much the same club anyway!

Topic #8822 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

sturt - no coin to pay players??????

Reply #99293 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I won't confirm that. Not sure what's public information and what's not. But you can definitely assume that his return for the ABA season is not guaranteed.

Reply #99296 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Doesn't Sturt have the Chek Book?

Reply #99298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

merge?? as if thats gonna happen

Reply #99299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what makes you say arn't they pretty much the same club anyway...they are two different clubs?
Wat u talkin bout

Reply #99303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt are very successful in u12/u14s/u16s. Their u20s will hold up their mens program NOT; look how their kids go by the time they get to 20s... struggling! they just dont have the tools (coaches) to develop senior players. If they dont head to the ais then then they don't go on.

Reply #99306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they DO have lots of tools though.

Reply #99307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt's U14 boys won gold at nationals last year and bronze this year.

Their girls team did well at nationals, won the winter premiership and along with forestville were the only decent team in their grade.

I think it is a bit rough to say they are not successfull in U14's.

Reply #99309 | Report this post

I think you'll find that as off next year no players will be getting paid. I think you'll find a new senior coach that is huge on development and I think you'll find that those players that are not willing to play for the club on a loyalty basis instead of a cash basis will be gone.

Reply #99310 | Report this post

box me out  
Years ago

Sturt are far more advanced then some of the other clubs. The loss of a stadium has obviously put them in more of a decline, but have a look at the juniors results

http://www.sportingpulse.com.au/assoc_page.cgi?client=1-3-0-0-0&sID=751&news_task=DETAIL&articleID=998410§ionID=751

Sturt = 7 Premier Teams

Woodville, West Adelaide, Western Magic + Southern tally 7 Together

Reply #99315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NON payment (#99310) by Sturt at ABA level... maybe paving the way for Sturt to attract all the USA College bound players to assure them of amateur status unequivocably??

Interesting indeed.

Reply #99316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how many college players has sturt produced?????

Reply #99317 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

IMO, I think Sturt at least will find a way. They have some pretty damn good players still - Shephard, Hakkas, Dodman, Gower, and some younger guys that may be ready to step up. Plus they'll recruit, and quite possibly sign a big name like they somehow manage to do every year. I think they will be fine. The women obviously have more than just the Bowleys (to win the Championship) so I'm sure they'll be fine too. Although both teams might not be the powerhouses they have been over the last few years, they still won't be far off the mark.
Eastern, on the other hand Panther, I think you're right unfortunately. From everything I have heard they are really struggling..

Reply #99320 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I think what 99316 is alluding to is a) genius, and b) incredibly underhanded. Don't think can be stopped though, right?

Reply #99323 | Report this post

If what you say is correct maybe South will be a good chance to make the play Offs next year??

Reply #99329 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

This is news to me, things are good inside the Death Star at the moment. Juniors are going quite nicely and Libertine, I think you will find we have plenty of good juniors just waiting for an opportunity to play seniors, if some of the current players do not play. Money is a bit tight at the moment, but this is a temporary setback.

And 99306, all of the women and the majority of the men in last year's teams came from our junior program, I'm not sure what you are getting at? Our 20's next year will be very competitive in both boys and girls.

Recent college players include Tod Matthews (OIT in Oregon) and currently we have Katie Langford at Oral Roberts. Many of the Under 16's, 18's and 20's are looking to go to college in the next few years.

In summary, business as usual.

Reply #99338 | Report this post

I thought Todd Matthews was Norwood boy?
also when did Monz ever anounce her retirment
I think you will find she will be back in force if she is not picked up by another wnbl club

Reply #99341 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

Nope, Sturt from 10's to 18's. Moved to Norwood in 20's and then went to OIT for 4 years where he was an NAIA All American and won a National title.

Reply #99343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

south make play offs ha.they finish 3 to last did they and wheres the players come from.

Reply #99353 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Fantastic english there anonymous poster #99353, let me guess you would be from a)Elizabeth or b)Morphett Vale???
This isn't a Sturt Bashing people, it was just an outright question so please don't start on the club. They have been one of the most successful clubs in history but right now look like they are struggling. Eastern on the other hand.....

Reply #99356 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

How can they be struggling when they haven't played a game yet?

Reply #99359 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Eastern men made playoffs last 6 years champs in 04 thought that would be termed reasonably successfull. Panther tell me about the success of the Panthers during this period have they made the playoffs?? Many people keen to right Mavericks off,dont be too sure of their demise.

Reply #99362 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Panther,

A little un-called with the Elizabeth/Morphett Vale remark, don't you think?

Why don't we just wait until the clubs make a statement or something happens?

Little early to pass too much judgement, but should be interesting none-the-less.

Reply #99364 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther, you ask people not to "bash" clubs but to begin your last post inferring that he/she is from Elizabeth or Morphett Vale, an assumption you make due their English, is very insulting. I lived my school days in Elizabeth and I have university degrees, being so judgemental really does put people in a defensive mode and is unecessary. Many succesful and moral people come from the areas you listed and take great offence to comments like this. What makes someone from one area more worthy than another to comment on here???

Reply #99366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bizzy, you got in just before me- I'm glad I'm not the only one who found it un-called for. It's hard not to become defensive when someone attacks on such a personal level and thats exactly how I felt when I read it.

Reply #99369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther, Are you not oringinally from Willunga, which I would say is a lower socio economic area than those you have listed. I also beleive that you were playing for Tigers at MV many years back.I would hardly call suburbs like Clovelly Park which is an area that your club pulls from a high class suburb. You obviously think you are better than others, but by that comment, you are definately not!

Reply #99374 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Don't know why I bother with such a tool of a thread.
Sturt will survive long term because it has an excellent junior program - as do a small number of other easy to spot clubs.
Senior programs can either be grown or bought.
Where does South's development program fit in the scheme of things Panther??
Its a farce of a joke of a sham - on a good day.

Reply #99377 | Report this post

it is all polly waffle

sturt are doing fine - plenty of juniors to step up anyway

club has plenty of power to recruit quality if required

pasadena is a pain and would be hurting morale and finances for sure

should be back on line over next 12 months

mavericks are very thin at present and down on numbers - however the hills have a lot of young families building and with the right people in place they should recover

their senior squads should be able to recuit fringe non required players from larger clubs

Reply #99392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes and yes Libertine u got it in one.

Reply #99407 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Got what in one?

SB I don't doubt the amazing results of Sturt's juniors, and their success (ie Hill, Holmes, Dodman, Forman coming through, and many others on the way esp in 16s/bottom age 18s now etc).

I just think it's a genius idea for one club to setup a system that doesn't pay senior basketball but at the same time allows young potentials to play ABA and at the same time put them in the College shop window. Not implying that Sturt is doing it (I would have no idea), someone two or three posts above me did!

PS I think Panther was just having fun stirring the pot.

Reply #99466 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Geez it's great to get people fired up, it's like dangling a worm in front of a fish!
The Elizabeth/ Morphett Vale comment was a tongue in cheek comment as yes I played at Morphett Vale for the Tigers back in my junior years and have lived at Willunga and McLaren Vale. I could probably easily find statistics to prove that I am right in making these comments but won't.
It is quite obvious that Sturt are going through a tough period right now and both the Mens and womens teams will be lacking a few of the stars, and I think I have been right in my original comments as no one has come out corrected me.
It's also funny to note that when there is something wrong that people try to change the subject or point the focus to another topic as in most of the responses have been.
If your are all so concerned about South juniors then why not hold that thought for a while as we have got some great coaches in place and have a fantastic junior co-ordinator and development officer who will really start to make things happen at the club over the next couple of years, but really this is a whole new topic!
I now that Sturt will recover eventually from this and SB is right in saying they are a strongly supported club which helps, but I don't see the senior team putting in a huge effort next season, but we can only wait and see.
Eastern on the other hand are a small club who seem to have hit there peak and are slowly winding down. It would be a shame to lose another club if it does happen, let's hope that the developing town of Mount Barker starts to reproduce quickly and starts filling those vacant junior teams!
But like I said, nothing from my original post has been disputed so to fuel the fire...once again i'm RIGHT!

Reply #99470 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

Pffft

Reply #99476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mt barker is the fastest growing area in the state.

Reply #99477 | Report this post

Rex Hunt  
Years ago

"let's hope that the developing town of Mount Barker starts to reproduce quickly"

..why don't you and the South boys have a night on the town in the Hills - that should kick start things quite nicely! At this stage we wont worry about the quality of the reproducing - we'll go for quantity instead.

Reply #99486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bahaha, drilled!!

Reply #99487 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

There is not enough alcohol in Mount Barker to get us boys drunk enough to sleep with one of your local women!!!

Reply #99496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Mt Barker isn't good enough for you either?

Reply #99498 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

Is that you Yogee posting under Pather's name?

Reply #99502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

south cant even keep there juniors let alone build it up.

Reply #99519 | Report this post

Aldinga Shark  
Years ago

Hey Panther, while you're hanging shit on Mt Barker, do u care to explain why u and your teammates can't pick up any of your South females...?

They don't like your type, do they?

Reply #99526 | Report this post

abc  
Years ago

no offence Panther I don't even know who you are but judging by what you've written i doubt there's any local women from the hills that'd even give you a look in.....so far you've given crap to elizabeth, morphett vale, any woman from mt barker (which actually includes a fwe eastern girls). how many more people can you bag?

Reply #99528 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

the day is young, hang around!!

Reply #99529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ur paying out the chicks from Mount barker, have u seen what is on offer down at south?? Each to their own I guess..

As for sturt sinking, what a ridiculous comment especially when south junior program is falling apart and has been doing so over the last few years...

If I were u, I would be more worried about what is or is not happening down at marion stadium cos I doubt the supporters have had anything there to cheer about recently...

Reply #99530 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I doubt the supporters have had anything there to cheer about recently...
Didn't Jason Baylis retire a short while ago? ;)

Reply #99533 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther,

I for one will dispute that all of the Bowley girls are moving.

And I would suggest that the Ng's boys will be playing.

But really, maybe it is Sturts philosophy that is different from othert clubs. Rather than thinking that ABA is the be all and end all, perhaps Sturt see it as a place where Juniors and Seniors can develop for higher levels of basketball, like International teams, Australian junior and senior teams, College opporunities?

Our junior boys may have had a couple of poorly performing groups coming through 20's over the last couple of years, but 2nd in 18 div 1 boys and winning 16, 14, 12, 10 Div 1 Boys is probably as good as it gets.

Or you could try and stack Souths 20 men div 3 and 18 boys div 5 championships up against that?

Not to mention that South failed to make either finals series in ABA while Sturt made the GF in both.

Rumours may abound this time of year. But the consistant result of Souths ineptitude as a club over the last 10 years shows true failure as a goal.

And as for your wonderful coaches, coaching director and junior development officer, show us some improvement before blowing your own horn. 12 girls teams in total for next year, how long until South arn't consistantly in div 1. 2 State players in total. Will be interested to see your ABA groups in 5 years time. And as for these great coaches. How did they do last year? How many State Championship or GF's have they won?

I am starting to wonder if Issac can give you a little basketball for the most outregeous comment of the year, or the biggest people in glass houses throwing stones comment for you ridiculous comment.

Sturt

Womens ABA Championship
Mens ABA runnerup
State Champion State Junior Club
State Champion Reserves Junior Club

South

Nothing
Nada
Zip

Reply #99534 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Well said!

Reply #99547 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

It's pretty easy to deny things with neither support or a name isn't it?
And let me guess, the club isn't struggling financially and they will be paying their BSA fees next season...sorry speak up I can't here you over the bullshit you've just dribbled.......

Reply #99729 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

Panther - quit while you are behind! The more you go on the more you look like a knob. How about you keep your focus on your club and let the others worry about theirs!

Reply #99742 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Sorry my bad MS, I thought this was a "basketball forum" not a South forum. Who knew that you could only discuss your own club....

Reply #99785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Panther, If I were you I wouldn't want to discuss my club either cos south are an unorganised, incompetent, undisciplined rabble with no chance of being a force in SA basketball for the next 10 years..

It is far easier to take the heat off your own club by trying to stir s#@t about another club...

Reply #99798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#99798 you are very offensive.It is very easy to use words like poorly organised, incompentent and undisciplined and hide behind an anonymous post of which I will do the same as I have no desire to become someones target.You belittle a number of very hard working volunteers.
South is a club without debt who's recent years focus was to get us out from under.
It is a club that makes minimal changes with team withdrawals or additions once nominations have closed.
It is a club that gives all a fair go.
Panther was not being offensive in his 1st post and it was a legit question based on the info he had heard,Im am sure.

Club bashing belittles all the hard work volunteers do at all clubs.
Give it a rest all of you.

Reply #99813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as Richard Hill is coaching at Mavs there mens program will stay alive

Reply #99829 | Report this post

anon #99534  
Years ago

Panther,

It is also pretty easy to claim things like you have without evidence. Show me your evidence and I will show you mine.

Sturt may be struggling financially due to the stadium closure, but will be paying it's fee's. ABA teams will be getting pay, but the aim is to make the program more self sufficient.

Unlike clubs like South who have robbed their junior players of any development and spent all of their fee's on paying seniors, clubs like Sturt provide their members with quality coaching and development.

Again I reiterate, what have South done over the last year.

Nothing, well other than talk themsleves up on this forum and follow through without any results.

If you want somehting tangible. Look at the fact that South scored 1 point in the State junior Championships and at this stage don't look like doing any better this year. Or that their senior teams failed tomake the finals, and look like being worse again this year.

You mate, are a hack. And are way out of your league when discussing developmental type programs for clubs. If you spent as much time trying to help your club as you claimed, they wouldn't be in the trouble they are in. As above said, they are the club that gives all a fair go of paying fee's so that their seniors can get paid.

Reply #99832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were my comments offensive because they are accurate?

The above post supported my comments by pointing our that south only scored 1 point at state champs and the senior program is no better. In the last few years you have had players leave that program in droves and there are even more leaving this year.

I'm sure that you have hard working people (every club does) but just cos someone works hard it doesnt mean that the club is going well and going to be a force in basketball. Being debt free is great but there is still a very long way to go.

You may be offended but look at the facts, your club is in trouble.

Reply #100098 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:09 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754