Isaac
Years ago

Boti gets on the Lightning train

A quality crowd showed for the Lightning's first game last Saturday, a 70-63 win over Bulleen, and Boti Nagy is a man in love (just teasing!).

an Adelaide [team] as exciting as any WNBL team the state has previously produced
They beat a team to which they'd lost by 24 just two weeks ago, and reversed on the boards too.

Quality performances from the captain Woosnam, star Phillips, and good showings from the new signings.

A nice mixture of veterans and young talent. And promising signs from young pick-ups Jess Foley (23 yo) and Lauren King (22).

Oh, and WNBA centre Kristen Rasmussen is still to join the team for their next game.

An adult season ticket is $80 so make contact to get on board.

Topic #8885 | Report this topic

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

I agree Isaac, get on board basketball lovers of SA, these girls are great, add to that team Kristen Rasmussen, Carla Boyd, Cherie Smith and Dee Ranford... Look out everyone else... these girls are the real deal!!!
Anyone know how long Carla Boyd and Cherie Smith are out for?

Reply #99978 | Report this post

The Early Bird  
Years ago

Went to the game on Saturday night and here is a few things I noticed.

- Phillips is now stronger and a more consistent shooter but is far slower than she used to be. Having said that she did nail her first five shots from inside and outside the arc
- New stadium format with South Stands folded back.
- Good crowd and with Under 12 games after I can only see this crowd getting bigger
- Up tempo play with Lucas always screeming to push the ball ahead. Great style of play for that team.
- I know its only one game but they have some definite players still to join the team.

Reply #99987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i though the under 12 games were going to be placed before...

Reply #99988 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, that's for Friday night games.

Reply #99993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good feel to the game, and great to see Vince involvement.

nice touch for his daughter and Carla's daughter to bring out the match balls to the referees and to the ref's for shaking the young ladies hands - such cuties - the little girls not the refs!

Good to see so many young kids in the crowd, family atmosphere and plenty of rock up late space keeping the south side pushed back and encouraging people to sit on the north side made it a decent size vocal crowd located in just one area rather than spread thin

Using the main flag for the national anthem was good but caught everyone napping.

Positive style play from a team that is still to be strenghtened by Boyd Rasmussen & Ranford.

Great Value and a winning team with a go get em attitude.

Reply #99994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

99988 - A bit hard to have the U12's play before when the junior season hasnt started yet.

Reply #100000 | Report this post

gravy  
Years ago

Very sorry to say it but I thought the game was lacklustre. The team doesnt feel like a local team when there have been so many interstate players recruited...maybe I just miss Laura.

Reply #100028 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Gravy - lacklustre??

I am assuming you are talking about another game, because the Lightning vs Bulleen game was one of the better WNBL games I have seen in a while.

New faces, 2 current Opals, 2 very well matched teams, and a close game throughout (bar when the Lightning got out to 11 in the 2nd) made for an excellent game.

Unfortunately for us, Lauara decided she needed to gain some experience in Europe, as did many other players, and not for one minute can we begrudge her that.

Maybe you just need to find a new player to admire so you can keep supporting the girls??

Reply #100037 | Report this post

gravy train  
Years ago

I agree somewhat with gravy - Marino bought the team to prevent it going north and into 'foreign' hands. From what I've heard he is big on developing locals and I assumed Marinos plans were to carry this theme into players selected for the team.

Having said that, perhaps there weren't the players they needed here in SA.

I guess the bottom line is, its a business, recruitment is a big part of the game, and if the team keeps winning, who cares where they are from? We can adopt them!

Then when they lose, we can blame the imposters!

Win-win.

Reply #100112 | Report this post

Axeman  
Years ago

Great to hear all the far northern sponsers jumping on board; e.g steel suppliers, engineering firms ect.

Great job with the sponsership whoever is responsible.

That was my 1st lightning game in over 2 seasons. I will be at the next game 4 sure.

Reply #100192 | Report this post

gun dad's shadow  
Years ago

yes it is clear vince has his network going at full steam -

sponsors include

crane comapany
foundry
kiln
and some other steel type set ups

- Girls of steel !

Reply #100199 | Report this post

old timer  
Years ago

Get behind the girls, Laura and sreeny are huge holes to fill on and OFF the court. Good on ya Vince for showing some faith in a vibrant team of People

Reply #100489 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

Rasmussen to play tonight against Dandenong this is a team to support we'll get more joy from barracking for the Lightning this season than the sixers.

Reply #100794 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:09 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754