Isaac
Years ago

Jason Smith bags Razorbacks

Full article

Tell me this isn't brutal!

SYDNEY Kings captain Jason Smith lashed out at the West Sydney Razorbacks yesterday, saying their results were "terrible" and they had to lift their game to survive in the NBL.

Smith fuelled the Kings' rivalry with the Razorbacks by saying he had little sympathy for the West Sydney team members who were cramped on an eight-hour flight to Singapore this week.

The team had complained when several of their big men missed out on exit-row seats.

"As long as it doesn't happen to us, I don't really care," Smith said.

The Kings play the Pigs on October 21, and Smith hopes the Pigs will have improved by then.

"West Sydney are terrible," Smith said. "The way they have played so far is very disappointing. You've got to feel for players in that position. It's going to be a very long year for them.

"If they want to survive in the competition - we are all in this game, we are all judged on our performance - they have to improve if they want to survive.

"They are not selling out a stadium and making a million dollars in revenue. You'd think there is a lot of pressure on them to perform."
Talk about compassion!

Topic #8938 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

YEa and of course the Kings crowds are massive!

Reply #100717 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

tool of the week j.smith

Reply #100722 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Come on his only saying what everyone else is thinking!!! They are shit!

Reply #100724 | Report this post

box me out  
Years ago

Makes you want to beat the Kings even more. West Sydney have been under extreme pressure, especially with having to secure another import of a much lower class to the original Centre, re adjusting the team to find a style of basketball that suits them most.

But hey the pigs arn't the only team under the pump, we're not exactly reaking of awesomeness either

Reply #100726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont disagree with what he is saying but his point about the crowds is extremly hypocritical when you ocnsider that the Kings won 3 titles recently and their crowds are still poor.

Reply #100731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jason is a tool but he is right

Reply #100732 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

The guy is a tool. He had a go at us about the David Barlow banner, basically saying that we were being Un Australian to do that.

1 minute later David himself was more than happy to sign the banner.

Reply #100735 | Report this post

Knackers  
Years ago

Who is jason smith???

Has he done anything in australian basketball in the last 5 years???

Bring back darren at least he dunks

Reply #100741 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Panther, they've played two games - one they lost to Cairns by 17 (8 down at 3Q time) without either of their imports. In Singapore, they lost in Ya Ya Dia's first game and I think the other import barely played, or not at all.

Just seems like he's kicking them when they're down to me.

As I said on OzHo, can you imagine a Bullet (OK, besides Black or Hill!) coming into tonight's game saying that Adelaide were terrible because crowds were down and our two point guards were sick and we hadn't won at home, etc.

Reply #100746 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

you kidding me Knackers?
The relationship between the 2 teams has been sour at best for years now. Anyone remember Scotty McGregor's qoutes last year about Sydney?
haha Tool of the week. good call still

Reply #100747 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

He is stating the bleedin obvious but coming from a guy who was a big part of "sydney still no gate"
that is a cheapshot .
Jeez the Kings have been on the brink several times and were notorious underachievers for many a year before boy goorj and his wonderboys took them to the land of lets celebrate this s..t in front of fifty f..khead fans .
Sure the pigs stink and maybe this will fire them up a little , maybe that was Jason's intention . I don't know it just seems a little arrogant from a fading star .

Reply #100748 | Report this post

Knackers  
Years ago

Yeah but lock stock, I just don't like the guy after he called us navy seals un australian, guy has no sense of humour.

Reply #100750 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Both him and his brother are arrogant players, but we need a few characters in the competition or it would be boring. West Sydney have been terrible for a number of years now, they definitley need to do something about it. Did you watch the game against Cairns Isaac, they had no structure at all in offense, shit when your top scorer is Liam Rush for the past two games, you know your strugglin!!! Maybe the NBL could turn a blind eye to their salary cap like they did for the Kings for the last few years!!!

Reply #100797 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I didn't watch that game, but they played against Cairns without two imports, and were down by 8 after three quarters. That's not "terrible" IMO.

They couldn't afford to bust the cap even if they had the opportunity to.

Reply #100800 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

we should all be thankful for the razorbacks they should be the one team beneath us

Reply #100803 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

They were terrible, it's just that Cairns were almost as bad! Cairns just cruised along until the last quarter and then went it was money time they put their foot down.
When have their imports ever been any good anyway? Can anyone name a West Sydney import? They got Ya Ya Dhia back, come on he is not what you want to be spending your big bucks on!
Who ever went to watch the Philly 76ers because of Manute Bol (sorry Manute!)????

Reply #100809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, you might be reading this a tad wrong. It is virtually a tradition for each Pigs/Kings game that a player from one side or the other (or coach, or administrator) comes out in the press and slams the other side. I swear it's arranged. It works for both clubs too. Creates heat, gets media attention, sells tickets. The Pigs give it to the Kings as much as the Kings give it to the Pigs. It's a good thing, it's healthy IMO and shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Reply #100818 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

if i remember correctly, the Razorbacks played in the grand final against the Sixers in 2002. So they haven't always been crap. Every team has a bad year or in West Sydney's case, years. Sydney Kings were crap years ago so Smith can't talk.

Tell this to Smith,

The Razorbacks can't sign that many star players because they have to be stay under the salary cap most teams have in the NBL but your team gets double so your obviously going to do better!

Reply #100827 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Plus the Kings get to have practice by playing in the World Champs against USA and many other good national teams.

Reply #100828 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

fair enough Knackers

Reply #100834 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

123abc post (#100828)give it a ball please :P

right on the money

Reply #100841 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

123abc
Take a bow
Exactly right

Reply #100855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reality is the Kings recruit well and are consistently coached well, so they win, razorbacks recruit poorly are not coached well, so they loose. Smith is spot on

Reply #100934 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

im pretty sure that the razorbacks were in the grand final again sydney knigs in 2004 as well as 2002.

its really only been the past 2 years that they have sucked!

Reply #100955 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

which is a pitty because i think the need does need 2 teams in sydney maybe if the league assisted the struggling clubs as the afl does whether financially or through club management it would assist in the improvement of the club

Reply #100976 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

thomo I dare say the league is struggling to look after itself, I wouldn't think it has the capacity to help out the clubs.
The AFL would have a lot more money than the NBL to help

Reply #101029 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Well I guess Jason Smith will be feeling a little sheepish to make statements the way he did after West Sydney came out and got their first win (all be over NZ) and Sydney had a 0-2 weekend after he has returned!!! I can't wait to hear what the West Sydney boys are going to say in this weeks papers!!!

Reply #101377 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think this season will show a Jason Smith in decline. A few key games, but can see his average starting to drop and the imports and young guys taking over.

Hopefully the Pigs can show up the Kings in a freak showing this round and shut him up.

Reply #101380 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Go the pigs!!

Reply #102344 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:27 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754