Pacey
Years ago

Replacement for Smyth if he was to go???

In this highly competitive business that basketball is now, and with private owners now wanting results more than ever, it is safe to say that Smyth's number will be up at the end of the year, but who would make the ideal replacement?

Out of Inactive coaches 3 names come to mind,

1. Frank Arsego. A former league coach who has never really had a lot to work with especially his last stint with New Zealand. But he is a coach that has experience in rebuilding sides and is an Adelaide person. Also had a great year coaching Canberra Gunners in the SEABL.
2. Ian Stacker, Stacker I feel was let go at the wrong time by Townsville. He is a coach that has a lot of experience in developing players and coaching junior talent. Brad Newley was a big fan of Staker and with his contract running out this season, maybe would be a great coach and also bring in a nice recruit straight away.
3. Richard Orlick, Again a coach that has had experience in rebuilding and also developing talent, would have survived in the league a lot longer had he not cut Loggins when with the Bullets. Also knows Adelaide well since he was a former assistant.

Current Assistants,

1. You would have to say Scott Ninnis, Adelaide's favourite son would be a front runner, but it looks like Mark Price's holiday will be short lived and he will take over the reins there. Probably a better situation for him to stay put.
2. Steve Breheny, in my opinion is part of the problem with Phil and think he has been an assistant for too long, didn't have great success as head coach last time, but you would have to look at him.
3. Bill Tomlinson, Again would be a recycled coach but was assistant of three straight title teams. Looks comfortable as Boy Gorge's assistant, but could be a nice option.

These are the only ones that come to mind right now, im sure there are other candidates too.

In my opinion I think taking into consideration the situation, Ian Stacker would be my choice. A 2-time NBL coach of the year, World Champ Gold Medal coach and also known for developing young talent and having young talent wanting to play for him, I think would be the best fit. Plus the idea of having a Newley join him, is too good to resist.

What are other opinions, and any other suggestions?

Topic #9000 | Report this topic

DB5  
Years ago

I don't know how good he is, maybe someone that has played under him maybe able to help me out here, but what about KB?
It seems that players trust him and relate well to him as an ex teammate, and he seems to want to help the young guys as he has a bit to do with the Academy...
Plus his mate Darnell might come back if he did coach us.

Not saying Smyth will go, but just a suggestion...

Reply #101589 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

How come everyone keeps saying that getting Newley at the end of the season is a possibility?

I know he would be awesome to have and all that, but he's most likely gonna be drafted into the NBA, so I'm pretty sure if he does, he's going to play there instead of Adelaide.

And even if he doesn't get drafted, there's a good chance that he will get a heap of money thrown at him from Euro teams.

Reply #101593 | Report this post

Dee - Mak  
Years ago

I would like to get Stacker.. Doc Hurley is a solid coach, but hes retired .. Dave Ingham was living in Adelaide not 2 long ago, Cal Bruton.. I have supported Phill for his years at the Sixers but it does seem evident that a new head coach might be just what is needed at the moment. Phill is a legend for leading us to 3 championships in the last 10 years but the team needs a more structured system.

Reply #101595 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Dave Ingham, passion and heart, what we are lacking on the floor at the moment.

Reply #101597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ingham has a history of being a snake in the grass, why replace a snake with another

Reply #101598 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

IMO if they were to get rid of the Head Coach they should also get rid of the Assistants.
-New broom sweeps clean, as the saying goes.

Reply #101599 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

says "no" to the KB suggestion.

He sits there on the bench looking around the place during the game showing (what appears to be) little to no interest in whats happening.

I am sure its different behind the scenes.. but he doesn't appear to be the most dynamic of coaching staff.

ShaneD

Reply #101614 | Report this post

Jimmy The Snitch  
Years ago

Let's bring Dave Claxton or Don Shipway back, can we pretty please.

They were the glory days.

Why not leave it up to management to set Phil coaching agenda and KPI before he signs a new contract and see what the new recruiting policy will be.

What player is going sign a contract with an unstable organization? Mestrovic, Copeland and Wheeler didn't have many other options and Horvath liked what Phil and Steve sold him, and if the Sixer went belly up he could get a job in lots of other countries. Now the club has stability, potential recruits can be sort out and given a better sales pitch.

Reply #101619 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

Richard would be a great coach for the team in my opinion. He can definantly coach and hopefully he could throw his name in the ring if there is an opening at some stage. But that's only if an opening occurs and he can leave his tidy post up in Brizzy with all those Carlton Colds...

Reply #101621 | Report this post

ShaneD, do you think that might have something to do with his boss? Have a look at him as head coach for woodville - very interactive indeed.

Not sure he would be the best option though!! also not sold on stacker, I think the club should go hard for Ninnis.

Maybe with Kb as his assistant and look to pick up Darnel Mee to replace Farley and 4 man import or Cat to work along side Hovarth.

Starting 5

1. Mee
2. Maher
3. Import/Cat
4. Mastrovic
5. Hovarth

6. Ng
7. Hill
8. Wheeler

Cut the rest

Reply #101622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jan Stirling!!

Reply #101633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deffinetly Ninnis as head coach, Brooks as assistant and then bring back someone who can give them something different, like a Werner Linde as a second assistant.

As for the team the players to keep would be Maher, Horvath, Ng and Sutton, would cut the rest

Reply #101638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did I hear right, did someone say Breheny, him and Smyth run the same game principles, what would be the point in that, who would you have as as assistant, Smyth? Clearly the worst suggestion of a replacement coach

Reply #101639 | Report this post

Flat Tops R us  
Years ago

I agree with Ninnis, but seriously he has far too good an opportunity with the Dragons, plus more Adelaide players around him there than he has here, one more might be joining him next year too. So as awesome as it would be i think he will stay put, looks like he is practically head coach there now anyway.

Reply #101643 | Report this post

Jimmy The Snitch  
Years ago

Hypothetically in 2007 Phil and Steve are shown the door and Scottie Ninnis is appointed to the job will Phil still be blamed for the sixer lack of reciting? Most likely because he is an easy target for some who have no accountability and just love to hang shit on him because he had success at this game they love.

Brad Newly will not come back to Adelaide because his next step is the NBA or Europe, Joe Ingles will still be under contract with the Dragons and after that he is either NBA bound or Europe, so the Sixer for him will not be an option. Jacob Holmes and Oscar Forman will still be under current contract and not a recruitment target.

Having young kids in the side is not the be all and end all, having players that can win games of basketball is. It's a give that Phil is not a rookie coach but up until this season he has been successful.

DC  what you said is logical and makes a lot of sense but I still get the impression that Smyth is make to look like an easy target to point all the blame. I get the impression that a lot of no named Nuff Nuffs come on hear and fire crappolla at Phil because he didn't pick up there (or yours) mate.

I will give Phil Smyth my full supporter for what he has done for this basketball club in the pass and hopefully what he can do in the future and until someone else is appointed I will be loyal to him.

Reply #101648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why are we asking this question? Phill is our coach!lets ask this at the end of the season

Reply #101650 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

" it is safe to say that Smyth's number will be up at the end of the year"

Safe to say? I'd say the chance is next to zero that Smyth will be shown the door. He may choose to leave if he gets an offer elsewhere, and I have no doubt that there'd be other clubs who'd take him in a flash, but I don't anticipate he is ready to move on just yet.

Anyway, that is not really the point of your post, which is who might make a good replacement in the hypothetical situation that Smyth goes. Frank Arsego, Ian Stacker and Richard Orlick have all struggled at NBL level. Only Stacker came close to Smyth's level. Replacing Smyth with one of these guys is a step backwards. Bill Tomlinson is in the same boat. These guys have had plenty of opportunity and have not survived. Now I'm not saying recycled coaches can't work. I believe Cal Bruton would still make a fantastic coach at NBL level, but the guys listed in the first post are seriously uninspiring suggestions and apart from Stacker are not even in the same league as Smyth.

Reply #101658 | Report this post

Jimmy The Snitch  
Years ago

If anyone at all was to replace Smyth (and I am not endorsing this) it has to be Scott Ninnis.

He is only person who would be an acceptable replacement

Reply #101662 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

If Phil was trying new things, and the players were just taking a while to get used to it - I would stay stick with him. But this year he has just seemed disinterested, and really just doesn't seem to care that we are losing. There is no point persisting with a coach who has become a cancer.
In last weeks game he tried several different things first half, and was proactive in his approach, but after half time he just gave up - didn't mix anything up and the scoreboard clearly showed the result of this indifference.

Reply #101682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You want someone who has proven over the years than he can has the skill to coach a team that is constantly a GF contender?

Brian "Boy Gorj"

I cant believe I said it, as I cannot stand, him; however his record speaks for its self.

Im so ashamed!

Reply #101691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rupert Sapwell as coach or an assistant?

Or how about an ex NBA player like Mark Price and the Dragons?

John Stockton?
Luc Longley?
Chris Jent? he's a coach somewhere isnt he?

Reply #101737 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

A big name could be the way to go. I'm sure having Mark Price as the coach at Souths bring in a couple of hundred extra spectators each home game.

But, on the flip side, the big name has to know how to coach too!

Id personally like to see Stirling get an opportunity as well. I think she only has to wear her gold medal, that's a good enough resume for me. (Plus the WNBL rings to boot, and not to mention the careers of those players which started under Stirling, like Boyd, Hill, Phillips, Woosnam etc.)

Reply #101806 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

When York was coaching the Woodville ABA men's side, there was a bit of talk of issues in having a female coaching a team of men. I don't know if any of that talk was substantiated, but could it be an issue here?

In a three-coach panel, would it work to aim for passion, strategy and development?

Reply #101841 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I would like to see Smyth remain for atleast 1 or more seasons after this,i want to see if he can recruit a little better with the new ownership situation, but if he were to leave id want Scott Ninnis or Cal Bruton, if we couldnt get either of them i would go for a guy like Sapwell or Brooks, a former 36ers player who the fans would get behind, and both have coached ABL and been reasonably successful.

Reply #101849 | Report this post

wolly  
Years ago

larry brown anybody???????????????

Reply #101903 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Pacey, stop talkin shit!

Phill Smyth is an awesome coach, the sixers have never missed the playoffs when hes been incharge and just cause the sixers have started the season badley doenst mean he needs to be replaced.

Reply #102218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nick:you are a very naive fan.

Reply #102224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nick,

When is it ok to stop accepting just making the finals?

Reply #102229 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I don't think the 36ers could afford to take the risk on '1' more year. Things would want to improve very quickly before another year risk is taken.

Reply #102231 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

What im trying to say is that we're only 7 games into the season, it too early to be saying that Phill has to go! We havent missed the playoffs yet! If there's one thing I really hate its fans who, when they're team starts off badley, stop coming to games and call for the coaches head!

Reply #102345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jason balfour. He's not coaching at the moment and I hear he's an awesome coach.

Reply #102384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nick, people are talking about the last few years of same same not just about the start of this year. you seem to be jumping to quick conclusions without any real evidence.

Reply #102388 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:40 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754