AG
Years ago

Under 23 league

after playing reserves last night and over the past few weeks, it seems that the legue is getting younger and younger, which has meant the comp isnt as strong. Does anyone know why district stops at under 20's instead of under 23's?
if it were under 23's the league would have to be a lot stronger, that way reserves wouldnt be needed and juniors could play longer.
Whats peoples thoughts?

Topic #9036 | Report this topic

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

I was speaking to an ABA coach a few weeks back who suggested the same thing. I think it's a great idea with the only downside resources (courts and refs) which may be stretched a bit.

Reply #101969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

surley not if it was to replace reserves though?

Reply #101970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stupid idea - the competition would not have the best U23 players playing due to ABA committments. As it is some U20 players do not play juniors because of other committments. There is nothing wrong with the current ABA/Reserves/U20s format - why change it?

Reply #101976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why does the strength of the competition diminish if the players are younger?

Reply #101986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah not sure about that one....maybe older ones pissed off about younger ones playing?

Reply #102006 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

This comp would be extra not instead of Div 2 Men.

I think the reasons in favour of an U22 comp are (and we're talking about 19 and 20 year olds) some develop later, some on the edge of selection can be lost to social leagues and most of the lower mens divs are full. Some also develop later after huge growth spurts.

Reply #102017 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

I'd say put in the under 23 league for guys and girls instead of the present under 20 men and under 21 women leagues.

It will keep a lot of players involved with clubs for a lot longer and give them more time to prove themself at the ABL level.

Reply #102018 | Report this post

stef#4  
Years ago

i dunno mayb the older guys cant keep up with the younger guys and the game isnt as structured more run and gun.
the old guys should be playing better to keep them from loosing there spots 2 younger more athletic players

Reply #102027 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

Great idea. Some kids want to keep playing for their club but aren't able to compete at ABL level, or are unable to commit the time to train. Lower senior divs are sometimes hard to crack because those playing have their established groups. I think all clubs would embrace the idea of keeping kids involved for the extra 3 years.

Reply #102068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

might as well make it under 65's keep playing foreva :-)

Reply #102104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

are there any under 23 tournaments throughout the year? If so some ABL teams would qualify for them, could be a good option for teams to go away and try their luck much like june carnivals.

Reply #102533 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:02 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754