Dribbler
Years ago

Impressive

Matt Sutton's debut.
Brett Wheeler's defence.
Lanard Copeland's return to form.
Willie Farley's team game.

Lets hope that we see more of the same for the rest of the season.

Topic #9055 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Disappointing

Not being able to give Matt Sutton 36ers MVP votes - who looks after their web site?

Cosmos cheap fouls

Hill's defence

Brad Newley - he got the better of Nashy, but was beaten physically and mentally by ex-NBAer Copeland. To get a tech like that was virtually a surrender, and if he wants to impress NBA scouts, battles with ex-NBA players will definitely be taken into account.

Reply #102330 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

how bout Willie's passing! he's really got the ability to play the point effectivly now, Horvath's D also another positive.

Although Matt Sutton only scored 2pts for the game, he was very composed and didn't make any 'rookie mistakes', he handled the ball well, getting through double-teams and half-court traps and made some great passes - the sixers 10 man rotation has become an 11 man rotation and i look forward to seeing more of him.

BTW has anyone ever seen the Sixers get that many rejections in a game?

Reply #102331 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

You can't be too harsh on Newls, he missed a few shots he normally makes, plus he did get whistled for some pretty soft fouls.

And to his credit, he tried all game, he ended up with 15, 6 and 2. He should had alot more assists, most of his passes were really good, just too bad that the guy on the other end couldn't finish.

Reply #102333 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Darnell had 9 blocks in a half aginst Cairns a few years back

Reply #102358 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Newley was taking the right shots, just not making them. *shrug*

Sutton is now an option for MVP votes.

Reply #102374 | Report this post

prowler  
Years ago

i find it impressive and somewhat heartening to hear of such a performance from the boys . And to all you folks who cry fairweather fans and wagon jumpers i will say that all the passion , positive and negative from knowedgeable , caring maybe sometimes frustrated supporters seems to have been taken on board . The debate is healthy . Shit if it lit a fire under willie then maybe that is what was needed . I know it was only one game but the boys have now set a level of intensity and spirit that if it dips or waivers i am sure there will be more than head scratching occurring amongst all sixer fans . We don't have to win everygame but we must play balls out everygame .

Reply #102380 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Newley getting the better of Nash, well there's a surprise!
Sutton was most impressive last night, but really no surprise for those who have seen him play the game. A very calm, quick team player, whose value was quickly seen last night. Wasn't it refreshing to see us finally being able to bring the ball up court.
Can someone just tell me though, why it has taken this long into the season to see him perform?
This is only 1 game of course and one must not get too carried away with that, but I enjoyed myself last night and I reckon it had a lot to do with seeing Matt Sutton out there. I dare say however, that he won't travel with the side tonight if Maher is fit? That seems crazy to me - can't we simply leave Nash home to practice his inbounding - he even had trouble with that last night!

Reply #102382 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

9 blocks in a half??? Remarkable!

Reply #102386 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Kent, wasn't it nine blocks for the game?

Reply #102391 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

I've seen matt sutton play for forestville in some tigh situations. His calm approach allowed him to make the right passes. I think this strength will help the sixers as they have struggled to bring the ball down the court without maher.

Reply #102396 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

Impressive....Most impressive.

Reply #102407 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

He did everything that was asked of him, 0 turnovers is very very good.

I didn't go upstairs after the game but by all reports Breheny was full of praise for Matt.

Reply #102416 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

When Newley got the tech and fouled out everyone cheered, I mentioned out loud I wish you would have him in the 36ers team, and the cheering suddenly stopped.

And my lord how soft were his fouls, the tech was probably the only decent one out of the six.

Rillie was the biggest disappointment for me.

I know Hill isn't playing all that well, but I still prefer him in front of Ng.

Sutton was great and should keep in the rotation, even when Maher is fit.

Cut Mahers mins from 45 a game to 35 and he will be more of an impact, cause he will be healthy and in uniform.

Reply #102425 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:07 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754