unit
Years ago

Stopping the clock in final min. for a sub.

Just wondering how many people were aware that there is a rule that the clock must be stopped in the final minute of every quarter whenever a substitution is being made.

Apparently this isn't a new rule it just hasn't been policed, i hope it is something that is taken up in all grades as it would stop coaches who try and eat the clock up by excess subbing in the dieing stages of each quarter.

Topic #9072 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah there was a thread here about it

Reply #102499 | Report this post

uncle arthur  
Years ago

maybe an update could be stuck to each bench to save any kerfuffle

Reply #102512 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The thing that puzzles me is that the clock stops until the substitute enters the court. Normally there is some delay between the player entering the court and play resuming, particularly if the player leaving the court is slow getting off.

So you still are milking time off the clock by calling the sub.

Wouldn't it make more sense to stop the clock until the ball is back in play?

Reply #102518 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

I saw this happen numerous times (coaches of the team without the ball calling subs in the last min of the quarter) saturday night and the clock was not stopped. Are UIC's doingg much to enforce this rule?

Reply #102520 | Report this post

gun dad's shadow  
Years ago

isn't it the clock restarts when ball at inbounder's disposal - so the ref should wait for defensive player to find some position on the court.

Reply #102527 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

That's my point - the ref will wait until the players sort themselves out, but the timekeeper has to restart the clock as soon as the substitute enters the court regardless of whatever else is going on.

Junior Bylaws 3.1:

" The clock shall stop for substitutions in the last minute of the first three quarters, and recommence when the substitute enters the court.

Maybe a rules guru can explain why the clock isn't held until the ball becomes live again, as per a timeout?

Reply #102539 | Report this post

stef#4  
Years ago

it should be stopped until the ball enters court(touched by a player).
And they really werent policing it at all on sat night i watched numerous teams call subs within the last min and the clock kept running. therefore they need to enforce it or do somethin to make it work....

Reply #102556 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:51 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754