damrob
Years ago

Dragons v Tigers - Photos

Photos from tonight's game at Vodafone arena are now online at www.damrob.com.au

or direct link

http://www.damrob.com.au/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=24634

A large crowd at the game, official figure of 7,910

Topic #9074 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watched this game on Fox, the Dragons looked real dangerous until the Tigers went to a half court trap. They had the cameras and mic in the Dragons huddle a couple of times and it sounded like Mark Price wasn't sure what to do in the situation, seemed frazzled. I thought this was a bit weird for an NBA legend

Reply #102534 | Report this post

Crazy Joe Davola  
Years ago

I was at the game at Vodafone arena last night. Although I am a big fan of 36ers games and the entertainment put on by the club, I think there are some real learnings they could take out of this new franchise (they should book someone a ticket to their next game and go along). Here are some observations of what was a terrific "event":

- The Dragons are a product of when you get someone with basketball knowledge and combine that with REAL marketing expertise. I say that because from past experience, some teams are run by marketing people who think they know hoops OR basketball people who think they know marketing.

Marketing is so much more than how you advertise the product and what you display on game night. The Dragons branding is slick and consistent through all "touch points" - logo, merchandise, uniforms, marketing collateral etc. It's integrated together so that the "whole is more than the sum of its parts". They have a consistent message that is disseminated through various mediums  above the line mass media, and below the line viral marketing/promotions/incentive and loyalty programs.

It all adds up to be the best marketed franchise in the NBL - bar none. My girlfriend (who is an event manager) commented that "if you didn't know they were new team it certainly wasn't obvious" - well organized, big crowd, sharp product.

- The diversity in the game night entertainment was excellent. The cheerleaders known as the "Dragonflies" are a small group of eight women (not girls, but women) who all have their own unique characters marketed by the club (similar to NBA cheer squads).

It's interesting to note that they only started cranking up their dance routines come the second half. Until that time, the breaks in play were filled up with fashion shows (with the Dflys sporting the merchandise), competitions, circus acts and a presentation to Lauren Jackson as the #1 ticket holder.

When the Dflys did dance it was a more "street", "urban", "funk" type style (again modeled from NBA franchises), not the "jazz ballet", "same old regurgitated routines" that you get from the sixers girls. Apologies if that sounded rough (and again I take these comments from the Mrs. who teaches dance), but sometime a touch of honesty goes a long way.

- This sound system at Vodafone is surprisingly not as good as the Dome. They rely on a set of speakers hanging from the ceiling at one end of the court to supply the "noise" for all of the stadium. This made it quite muffled for us who were sitting at the other end of the court to here what the MCs were saying.

- Speaking of the MCs, the Dragons use Glen Manton (ex Carlton Footy player) and a female (who I don't know the name of). Although the girls voice can be quite annoying after a while (only because she seems to know her hoops so is quite readily able to come on t game, while Glen waits for something quite obvious to occur before he comments). The tandem works really well and is in line with the Dragons being a young fresh faced franchise. The sixers should certainly go down this road  get two young ex sporting players or media personalities and let them do the MC duties.

- The music was a "compliment" to the action. It was not a case of "we all booked tickets to a rock concert and instead a basketball game broke out". They did play music, but it was used at the right times  when the team went on a run, fast paced music when the game tempo lifted  but at other times the music man just left it silent so you could hear the shoes squeaking and the players calling plays. They even played MC Hammer "Hammer time" after a Shane Heal basket which was hilarious.

- Last comment (because I know I've waffled on a lot), I saw five kids under the age of 12 wearing Jo Ingles singlets! It would be quite a buzz if you were a 19 yr NBL player and you look into the stands and see kids wanting to be like you. As well as that, when he checked into the game there was a huge roar form the crowd and everyone around us was talking about him  just another case of the team marketing their stars well.

That's all form me - I'm off to the Opera in my clown suit to track down that Jerry Seinfeld.

Cheers

Reply #102540 | Report this post

hurley  
Years ago

So True, if every team took a leaf from the dragons the NBL would be huge again, and i think its likley that teams will eventually lift marketing. I saw a sixers add, all they showed was Brett Maher hitting a three and loose ball scuffles, gotta be a little more creative then THAT to draw a new audience who dont already follow the game or team.

Reply #102549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"all they showed was Brett Maher hitting a three and loose ball scuffles, "

I agree... the ad is terrible!

Reply #102620 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

The 36ers definitely need stronger "Branding" and marketing than is currently used, especially at the Dome.

I notice at Brisbane, they have huge player photos hanging up around the stadium, and somebody has commented on the bus advertising there.

Dragons have their slick "OFFENSIVE" and "EVOLVE" billboard campaigns in the CBD, as well as the TV ads such as the ones shown on ESPN during the NBA Finals series. As well as the huge Dragons logo branding throughout Vodafone Arena, including the huge logo in the centre of the court, and the logos throughout the stands.

The 36ers definitely need to send some of their marketing team around the country (and perhaps to look at what is being done in the US) to see what is being done elsewhere, as well as looking to see what we can come up with as fresh ideas.

Reply #102690 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:32 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754