:-)
Years ago

Paying To Play!

OK..
I'm a senior player who plays on tuesday night div 1 mens, and occasionally reserves on wednesday night... The price has gone up to $8 a game (both tues and wednes)... Does anyone else think that is ridiculous??
Surely BASA isn;t in need of that much money!

Topic #908 | Report this topic

if the bloody electricity wasn't so expensive, maybe it would not be so.

Have a look at any economics - when have you known anything to go down in price ?

do some equasions and then decide where the money is going - average 8 players per side @ $8.00 = $64.00 per team, x 2 teams = $128.00 per game, x 3 courts = $384.00 per time slot.

allow $50.00 a night for head umpire, average $15.00 per referee per game - 2 x $15.00 = $30.00,
$50.00 per night for the receptionist.

work the rest out yourself.....

Reply #9982 | Report this post

still $8.00 is not too bad - look at what $8.00 will buy you nowdays.

1/2 a movie ticket, a new release DVD, upsized KFC meal, 2 icecreams at copenhagen etc.

so $8.00 on the greatest sport is not too bad.

It is just understanding where the dough goes?

Reply #9983 | Report this post

Pink Panther  
Years ago

8 dollars is disgraceful!! I am sick of it no wonder its a nothing season because all the "stars" don't play in it. that money the players have to pay should be added on to the salary cap for the winter season.

Reply #9989 | Report this post

phat prophet  
Years ago

Interesting to read in the paper this morning that the local baseball league is in danger of going under financially. I believe BASA is also close to administration.

Time for a government bailout?

Reply #9998 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

BASA can't balance the books?

BASA: "Excuse me, we need to be bailed out, we can't manage our company."
SA Government: "Oh sure, no worries, here's $20million. Do you want us to tell the public why we are spending that much on your shit administration or are you going to do it?"

Until BASA comes up with what I would call a proper business plan, why would the SA government even consider helping them?

Reply #9999 | Report this post

gospel  
Years ago

my kid recently transferred clubs - and by the time i was hit for subs from both clubs and a new unifomr and shoes - $800.00 !

i had to pay $100.00 to the former club for 4 trainings and 2 games, before they would even release or consider the transfer - just in admin fees - you tell me where all the money is going!

Reply #10008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think of how difficult it is for clubs to run their programs when people like yourself move clubs after two games in a season. It's because of people like that that junior programs didn't come out before the season and are now being updated every day. Clubs have to take teams out because kids pull out, or change clubs. I for one will not be showing you any sympathy.

(Mod: Please avoid phrases like "people like yourself" -- they drag the discussion away from the issue and it becomes an argument between two personalities. Hope that's OK.)

Reply #10011 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

It's a two way street here Anon. If clubs can't sort out coaches etc before you need to commit to play for a club/team why can't a parent move his child later if he is not happy with the coaches ability or approach

Reply #10015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

??? ever been involved in selection coaches? If you have I can promise you that you wouldn't have made that comment. Clubs work their butts off to find coaches for every team but sometimes that can't happen. If a player is going to jump ship because they don't like their coach that year, after just two games, again I have no simpathy for them.

Reply #10017 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

Spanish - there is no head umpire for senior district, if social is being played at the same time there is a UIC for social. But you do make a very good point. Add to that a portion of doorkeeper/administration, cleaning etc.

Reply #10047 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

I think its fair steep. i could only just live wit $7 last year. but its getting a bit rediculas. how much do u reckon basa would get from the doors a week> remebering games r like monday to saturday, and then sometimes sunday. Then u can add up to 2 sixers games a week and then the lightning. And social games. they wouldnt b doing to bad i would say

Reply #10095 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

point taken. fair enough

Reply #10098 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Have to agree with the Northerner on this one. BASA have serious financial issues. Maybe it's time for the government to lift the embargo on the Powerhouse/DHD being allowed to host concerts etc. The original "no concert" deal related to trying to help the Enter Centre get off the ground. Now we're getting regular events there, perhaps it's time for the DHD to become the #2 venue in SA for anything and everything.

If not, then perhaps the government should be compensating BASA for not allowing them to maximise their earnings potential.

Maybe Northerner's someone on the inside, working for BASA, who knows more than he lets on!!

Reply #10099 | Report this post

gospel  
Years ago

i was forced to leave by the club - as a big volunteer - donating $1,000s of dollars and untold hours of personal time.
i had no intention to leave - but they treated my child and myself WOEFULLY - so I left and joined an extremely good group of people now.

So please hear the story before you label me

Reply #10109 | Report this post

hopeless  
Years ago

last time i played social basketball it was $5 to play and that was many many years ago.

when i played district we actually paid to play, we weren't paid to play and got in free!

what happens when junior parents and social playes realise that they are helping to subsides the abl !!

don't winge too much about paying to play ....get over it you don't win any votes here

Reply #10115 | Report this post

Polythene Pam  
Years ago

Entrance fees up
BASA approaching Administration
Not enough umpires
No home stadium for Norwood
Bad player and spectactor venues + poor facilities

All I can say is we must love this game called basketball a great deal and even somewhere amongst all of this we still manage to develop players good enough to play for Australia!

Reply #10328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i thnink that you should only play if your not playing at home as you pay out so much at the start of the year for fees, why should we pay to getin.

Reply #10489 | Report this post

Another Anonymous  
Years ago

Club expenses include such things as court hire for trainings also. Even when the trainings at your "home" venue, you still have to pay for the court to be used.

Reply #10515 | Report this post

travellin' man  
Years ago

we built the dome - on the tail end of state bank collapse in late 80's - when there was even less money - and in competition to the entertainment centre

all may not seem as gloomy as expected

Reply #10519 | Report this post

he-man  
Years ago

I heard a rumor that the dome gets money each year not to hold any concerts. anyone know if that is true?

Reply #10596 | Report this post

Sponge Bob  
Years ago

The price is a bit much especially if you play tues, wed and if you are still a junior fridays too it just gets too damn expensive. what i sugest that for the junior games all stadiums is if you go on the score bench you dont need to pay to spectate like the seniors do. it encourages more barents to get up and score and it wont be as much of a hassle for the tam managers to find parents to score because they all dread it! do any parents agree?

Reply #15643 | Report this post

Sponge Bob  
Years ago

Parents* team*

Reply #15644 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

10.5 million debt, 750K loss for this financial year, that should answer all your questions on this sponge bob. Plus other topics of interest like a pay increase for refs, building new stadiums, fulltime jdo/jcd's, Ninnis non reappointment, replacing Mark Nash etc etc

Reply #15658 | Report this post

Sponge Bob  
Years ago

It's not that big of deal if the people on the score bench dont pay to get in. They are doing a job on the bench and they are not getting payed for it so its like their payment.

Reply #15696 | Report this post

jjj  
Years ago

You are right spongebob. i am the parent of an u/20 lad, who plays div 1, and played the summer season for our club. lets add up shall we??
U/20 game $6.50
mum spectator $3.00
senior game $8.00
mum spectator $2.00
reserves game $8.00
mum spectator $2.00

siblings game $5.60

total:

Reply #18556 | Report this post

jjj  
Years ago

oops, got over anxious, and hit wrong button!!

anyway, to continue

total: $35.10

plus drinks/snacks

plus i had to score for the two seniors games. none of the "older" players parents go to watch them play any more so the younger ones, who's parents are still involved with them, do the scoring. i had to pay this every week for about 5 weeks or so! it starts to become very draining on the pocket i can tell you.

and i have a problem with parents who score having to pay the spectator fee. i object to paying to be yelled at by coaches/players/parents when on the score bench. parents who are scoring should get a special pass and not have to pay for that week. i can tell you, i cant remember anything about the games when i am scoring, so there is definitely no spectating going on...

sorry about whinging, but i just felt like it!

Reply #18558 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

jjj, I agree. There should be a card that can be rotated around the team, so when that parent scores they do not have to pay. unfortunately we have been talking about it for years.

Reply #18869 | Report this post

scrubber  
Years ago

they have done it in church ball, the scorer signs in like the coach, that works?

Reply #19005 | Report this post

Sponge Bob  
Years ago

Where is the comeback now stella?! All of the parents in the whole basketball community will agree with not paying to get into score. and well said jjj!

Reply #19040 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:11 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754