Isaac
Years ago

Rucker a possibility if Maher's injury persists

BRETT Maher's inability to recover from a persistent calf injury for the first time has the 36ers considering an approach to Derek Rucker.
Boti Nagy: Rucker may be option

Topic #9101 | Report this topic

Statman  
Years ago

While Im sure he is being looked at Id prefer to see the young guys 'thrown in the deep end' at this stage and see if they can step up. A little faith shown now and tolerance of some mistakes due to inexperience could pay huge dividends in the near future for a player such as Sutton.

Reply #102921 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Statman, I agree.

If we're a big chance to win it all, then go all out, but (and the die hards can call me a pessimist) I don't think we're serious contenders. In that case, we should be trying to get the best out of the season that we can - a reasonable result, good opportunities for guys like Sutton, Hill and Majstrovich, and try and pick up a few wins now and when Maher comes back.

Make the playoffs and then if we have a full contingent, we could surprise some teams.

Reply #102923 | Report this post

Ken Richardson  
Years ago

Certainly fits the age criteria!

Reply #102949 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Isn't it sad that 5 games into the season and a team already knows that they aren't serious contenders.

Reply #102951 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's my assessment, but you don't need to buy that! I just reckon this is a 4-8th roster, but then everyone said that in 2002 as well...

Reply #102953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the real fact is once we are in anything can happen, we could have a good night and the opposition a bad one. Sure we might not be the best but you just need a chance.

Reply #102956 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Isaac, you've gone from pessimist to an optimist in just 3 posts, that must nearly be a record!!

4 to 8....I wish. More like 8 to 10 IMO.

Reply #102965 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not being optimistic, just a bit of CYA in case they can get it done.

Reply #102968 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

If Rucker was signed to a minimum could the Sixers have him all season?

Is it possible for the Sixers to do that with there current salary cap?

Reply #103017 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea, Rucker may be handy, and i think we can fit him in the points cap without having to drop anyone, but i guess someone will have to drop out of the 10, Rucker would be a great replacement whilst Maher is out, and even when he is back if he is willing to come off the bench, he would be a good back up, and also could play significant minutes and allow Maher to slide to the 2 spot, so yea i can see some benefits, but part of me thinks we wuld be better off playing Sutton and Hill more in the long run, but Rucker would definatly help us win more games now.off topic, but I wonder if his buddy Heal will sign him to the dragons if his back keeps playing up???

Reply #103020 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rucker to Adelaide won't happen.

Reply #103021 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Rucker's not interested. Too busy with his media commitments.

Reply #103027 | Report this post

Isaac if you are so sure he will not play for Adelaide, then why post the article? and why would it be in the advertiser if there was no chance at all it could happen?

Reply #103030 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Rucker's response came after that article went to print.

NBL great Derek Rucker says he is flattered by interest from injury-hit Adelaide but has confirmed his playing days are "well and truly over".

Adelaide 36ers coach Phil Smyth today said he was considering approaching the former NBL MVP as his trump card Brett Maher continued to battle a long-term calf injury.

Boomers guard Maher has not played since round two almost a month ago.

Smyth is desperately looking at his options after his team slumped to a 2-6 win-loss record while carrying an injury list that also includes import guard Willie Farley and big man Brett Wheeler (both hamstring).

But Rucker, 40, said his answer would be simple if Smyth came calling - "thanks, but no thanks".

"I have no interest whatsoever. That's no disrespect to anyone but I'm finished. I've moved on," he said.
And the article would've been in the paper because Boti and Phil would've been chatting, Phil might've mentioned it, and then Boti would've written a story about the possibility.

Reply #103032 | Report this post

Ok, I hadn't heard the response from Rucker. Just noticed your response it would not happen

cheers

a good thing anyway imo as they have young tallent which can make a difference if used correctly

Reply #103033 | Report this post

Vadersmate  
Years ago

While we are at it why dont we knock on the doors of Green, Davis, Ali, Ninnis,Rose, ect ect.
Hell Smyth could become a "flavour of the second" playing coach.

Lets invest in some players that will last more than 6-7 games....Eh?

Reply #103134 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:44 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754