me
Years ago

Navy Seals?

A couple of questions if i may, bearing in mind ive been a supporter of the Seals since day one.
1) why are you called the navy seals?
2) is there a site where i can see your banners and clothing for each game. I only saw the 2nd half of last nights game on fox and they didnt show you guys :(

Topic #9130 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

We were called the Navy Seals, because Sammy's at the Marina is our sponsor and Phil Smyth being the General, I think that the club put it together to make the "Navy Seals". Even though, there isn't actually a General in the Navy, it's an Admiral.

Reply #103257 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

lmao..ok..Thanks..just as well its not a confusing reason..and a website for banners?

Reply #103259 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Not atm. Might organise something though.

Keep an eye out.

Got an email addy I can let you know on?

Reply #103263 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

And what about the seals part...do they serve seal at Sammy's??? I thought that hake tasted funny!!!

Reply #103275 | Report this post

bah  
Years ago

what did the banner say last night, i couldnt see if from where i was sitting. heard it was gold

Reply #103278 | Report this post

gets!  
Years ago

NBL License - $1,000,000

NBL All Star - $500,000

Hasbeen Imploding Team - Priceless

something very similar to that.

Reply #103282 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

It said -

NBL Licence - $1,000,000

NBA All Star - $500,000

Backstabbing Has Been

Priceless

I dont think we are actually sponsored by Sammys anymore. We certainly were last year. But this year we dont have their logo on our uniforms.

Reply #103284 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

DAMROB usually gets a photo of each of our banners so you can probably see a few if you scroll thru their photos.
Last nights is here-

Link

Reply #103286 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Thanks Skip...

banner = Priceless

Reply #103293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought it was cos you wear blue and were as big as seals :> just joking.

Love the work with the banners especially last night. Could have had a second one ready though,
"Shane are you going to sack this coach?"

Perhaps if they havent won a game when we next play them in December that could be the banner - hopefully by then we will be on the way up.

Reply #103294 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Ahhh that's harsh...very funny though!

Reply #103304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so where are the latest episodes of seal'd gone, i havent seen one since the second episode with horvath. you guys still making them

Reply #103306 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Should be a new one this week. We have quite a bit of footage, just aint had the time to put one together.
Stay tuned...

Reply #103312 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

I read a good one the other day.." HAMMER,YOU ALWAYS WERE A TOOL"

Reply #103317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Dribbler, that was one a few years back, Boti mentioned it today in his articles in the paper.

Reply #103338 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I was under the impression you were the Seals because you were all supposed to be fat. I believe fat, loud and obnoxious were roughly the guidelines given before the first recruiting drive, surprised you don't have more Americans on board actually....

Reply #103357 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, that was the original concept but really, anyone passionate and noisy is in these days as plans changed a bit.

Reply #103388 | Report this post

hawka  
Years ago

Having not been to a game for ages(but reading about the antics of the Navy Seals on here) I must say I was actually disappointed when I saw them 'in action' at a game the other week.

I'm not entirely sure what they bring to the equation - besides throwing out chocolate frogs and hurtling abuse at opposition players.

I too expected it to be loud fat obnoxious types who would wiggle a little booty, make me laugh, and genuinely entertain the crowd.

The name has always been confusing, and now it seems the format is too.
Is it a concept that has gone a little skewed?

Reply #103396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawka, did you perhaps see them out the front playing basketball with heaps of kids for over an hour? Organising competitions for them?

Earlier in the year they completely threw Barlow off his game and pretty much did the same with Heal the other night.

For gods sakes...

Reply #103405 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not all can be pleased all of the time. After the music was completely scaled back, I heard people complaining about the lack of music, saying they found it boring.

With the Seals, not everyone likes them - that's fine. No need to expect big things - they contribute with handing out prizes, did the slingshot at the last game, handed out milk after the game, are working on another episode of Seal'D, are always on here chatting, etc. Completely supplementary to the game. It's not like anyone buys a season ticket for anything but basketball as a bare minimum, right?

Reply #103409 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Hawka - yeah, our role has changed a little this year. We did a lot of 'Dancing' last year as 'entertainment'. This year that has been cut right back. We may still strut our stuff later in the season tho.
Our role probably is more ambasador than entertainer this year. As mentioned, we help handing out the giveaways, play a bit of ball out the front with the kids before the game, help sell raffle tickets and try to get the cropwd involved a bit more.

Speaking of the next Seal'D, it is only days away. It will feature chats with the likes of Brett Maher, Sam MacKinnon, Scott Ninnis, Kevin Brooks, Willie Farley, Dillon Boucher, Lanard Copeland, John Rillie, Steve Carfino, Mick Hill, CJ Bruton and Mark Cowan. Im sure I have forgotten a couple as well.

Stay tuned...

Reply #103412 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

What? No chat with Shane Heal?! Can't imagine why not...

Reply #103414 | Report this post

bozza  
Years ago

Shane Heal Was Asked - And For The First Time Ever, We Were Declined.

Reply #103426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the seals, would be better off sitting the crowd forming some sort of cheer squad.u can still do ur on stuff from there when needed.call it the seals squad,invite under age teams to come and join in,wear their club uniforms etc.get t-shirts done,dont sit where u do and try and be the stars of the show.

Reply #103489 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

If you don't like the Seals dont watch.
They are passionate supporters and if they can do a little to help the club well then good on them.
They put in a lot of their own time without much recompense.

Reply #103491 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

103489, how do they try to be stars of the show? They are "some sort of cheer squad" and they are sitting in the crowd. What are you trying to say??

Reply #103502 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Thanks for the free ice coffee's after last weeks match seals!

Reply #103523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i agree that you should allow for other people to come in make it into a cheer squad during the game.
The seals could still do their on court stuff but lead everyone else on the side of the court creating more absuse and making it louder.

Reply #103524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People with ideas are excellent and here is not a bad place to make suggestions, but if you really want to see things ahpopen the best bet would be to contact Paul Bauer at the club and he should be able to help you with the exact person to contact. I am pretty sure that there will be a number of changes before next season but with the ownership issues only being finalised shortly before the season not much could happen for this year.

Reply #103526 | Report this post

tedeebare  
Years ago

"Ambassadors for the club" by abusing other players and derogatory bannners??

No thanks, not the image I would like portrayed for my club!!

I like what the Seals do, but I would hate to think they, or anyone else, consider themselves as spokespersons for the club with that behaviour.

Reply #103547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yet, Its ok for the players to talk trash on the court tedeebare?

Reply #103549 | Report this post

tedeebare  
Years ago

Anon : the price of eggs is $3.48.

Reply #103550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, do you hate the fact that Copeland plays for the club seeing as he got fouled out for abusing shane heal?

Reply #103551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

teedeebare....what a pussy!

Reply #103557 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Tedeebare...these guys go out and fire up the crowd with no prompting from the club, just for their love of the sixers...if you don't like passionate supporters my advice would be to stay at home and watch on fox!

Reply #103777 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

tedeebare, also consider that players often make positive remarks about the Seals and their efforts - same with various other loud fans at other venues.

I think it was Barlow who had a crap game here after being ridden all night by the Seals, yet came over to sign their banner after the game - it's all in the spirit of things.

You will also hear other stories like a fan yelling at Kerle all game. Kerle went into the stands afterwards and everyone assumed it would get messy, but he just said 'We need more fans like you!' or words to that effect.

Players nearly always love those loud fans, and just hope like hell that when they visit a venue they aren't going to cop it. Talk to Reesy about going to Perth - they would annoy the crap out of him over there!

Reply #103786 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

SHUT THE HELL UP TEDEEBARE!!!

Reply #104145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

teedeebare, I have a website you maybe interested in.

www.takeyourbrokenarsehome.com.au

I believe it would be right up your alley.

Reply #104151 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Sorry teedeebare, I provided that website, but forgot to add a name.

Really rate that website.... They guys at work love it.

Reply #104154 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:28 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754