hoops.com
Years ago

Maher, possibly out for season!

This is bad news for our captain. If this is true i wonder who would take his place, any thoughts if it is true and if so, who would replace him??

Good luck too you Marhsy!!!

Topic #9175 | Report this topic

skip  
Years ago

Care to mention where you heard this at all?

Reply #103725 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

channel 9 news... bad news... really bad news

Reply #103726 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

The report I saw on channel nine said he should be up for the game against Oscar and the Breakers next weekend.

I doubt he will be, but nothing alarmist was said.

Reply #103728 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

not good at all if its true, can we place him on IR and replace him.

Reply #103729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

possibly has ostites pubis (ok i know its not spelt right but you get the picture)

Reply #103736 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

If he is out for the whole season I don't think we should replace him.

In terms of us winning it all this year you'd have to suggest it's highly unlikely even if he does return and play out the rest of the year injury free. With Maher out Farley seems to lift, and it frees up court time to blood the youngsters in Sutton, Hill and Ng. How much court time do you think those three guys will see if Maher starts playing 40 minutes a game?

With Copeland in there we've got some veteran guard experience so it's not just Farley and the kids. If we recruit a Rucker type player for the season we'll only be treading water, I think we need to basically take a hit this season (which we're not going to win anyway), blood the younglings then next season when Copeland has retired Maher can return fully fit with a more developed supporting cast.

A downside to having Maher out all season is it gives Phil a perfect excuse for another underperforming season "Look, what people don't realise is that with a champion like Brett out for the season we did well to make the finals, the opposition were just waiting for us"

Reply #103756 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

I disagree...I see the point your making billo, but this is a weak league. The Sixers would be in the 8 today if the playoffs started, which is a scary idea considering how bad we have played! There is success to be had in the NBL for a team that can hang around the mark all season and 'come good' at the right time. They must recruit accordingly and attempt to win at all costs whilst persuing every avenue.

I also think that Brett will be fine and put on a heck of a show in the second half of this season anyways. Time and time again we have seen him dominate the early stages of year oputting the team on his shoulders only to the Sixers get nipped in an elimination final. If his form is timed for the second half, and he is able to dominate...it will be us that same opposition (That Smyth WOULD make excuses about haha) that WE will be waiting for!

Reply #103757 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

According to the seven morning news in Brisbane, Brett Maher was still in Hospital having tests for a niggling groin injury that will probably see him sit out the rest of the season.

Reply #103763 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Worst situation is if the injuries continue like this towards negotiations in the off-season. Not sure if he's in a contract year, but what do you do? Lower your offer or keep at the max and lock up that money in someone who might have the same problems again next season? Impossible call!

Reply #103764 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

billo your argument is a bit strange.

First you say DON'T bring in a player like Rucker and to use the time amongst Hill etc...... then you go on to say that Phil will use this as a LAME excuse to indicate an underperforming team.

I actually think that the 36ers have got a good chance of making the finals if they DON'T bring in another player....Sutton and Hill will get a chance to shine. Sutton I certainly want to see more.

I think this line up would be very interesting to watch.
PG Sutton
OG Hill
SF Farley
PF Cooper Mastrovich (spelling) Nash
C Horvarth

Reply #103765 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Maher to waivers Schensh to the middle horvath and wheel to the pf with coop rotating through both spots.

Sixers start playing dump the ball inside and let the fun begin.

Reply #103771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats good, same problem next year with brett if we have to also try and get luke to stay. Who do you pay? i would try and get a reduced price on brett but nothing that would offend him but just put the idea to him.

Reply #103783 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Heck, Coops brought the ball down enough times last week, let him run the point!

Reply #103785 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wheeler is sitting on a bit of money - offer him less and you free up a reasonable amount to work with.

Reply #103787 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Nino, I started my post by saying that if Maher is out for the season then we shouldn't replace him, which I stand by, then I got a bit carried away implying that we'd be better off long term if he sat out the full year. I still stand by that to an extent. It seems like if every week we're pushing to get him back in the line up we'll inevitably bring him back too soon, he'll redo an injury (or pick up a fresh one) then we'll be back to square one.

I don't know the full extent of his injuries so I'm only speculating, but if he were to sit out the full year, get himself 100% physically, it could well extend his career by a few years down the track. If we get a 100% Brett for the entire next season plus a supporting cast who've been thrown some responsibility in his absence this year then we're a far better shot when it comes to the crunch than if we scrape into the finals this year and try and get it done.

TK, fair point, I guess I'm just getting a little sick of Phil's excuses for everything (after we lost to the Tigers it was the old "we played the night before and they were just there waiting for us", same line with Perth despite the fact Perth had had as gruelling a schedule as us to that point - sure, with the Tigers they hadn't played the night before but it's not as though a Friday / Saturday schedule is unheard of in this league). The point I was making was that I think it's time for a change in the coaching department next season regardless of the Maher situation, as has been debated ad nauseum on this forum it's about the last 3 or 4 seasons, not just this one, but if Maher sits out the rest of this season and Smythe goes you can bet your bottom dollar the spin will be that Smythe was shafted after having one bad season, but the bad season was because Maher wasn't playing.

Reply #103791 | Report this post

sween  
Years ago

Sell Mahar through Ebay. Replace with Dix for the rest of the season. Do not tell me people do not come out of retirement!!!!(ref. the Dragons i.)Agree with extra responsibilities for Hill, Ng & Sutton. Its step up time.

Reply #103792 | Report this post

TK  
Years ago

billo
I know a US coach (not Dunlap) who is very familiar with the young talent in SA and would be a great fit if and when there was a coaching spot available. He can't believe how the local talent is slipping through cracks.

Interesting to see how the new owner views the organisation at seasons end.

Reply #103797 | Report this post

General Comb Over  
Years ago

Unfortunately Maher getting over a third of the teams salary is long gone. Another year goes where our best player plays nowhere neara full season. The Crows offered Bode a lot lees then what he was getting and is now on a 1 year performance based agreement. I would do the same with Maher. Freeing up an extra $200,000 would get some great players.

Reply #103826 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Someone posted something on OzHo about a possible Mee return to Adelaide - that would no doubt involve KB's help, and wouldn't hurt our 07/08 prospects at all.

Reply #103831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

problem with asking him to take a big cut is he has more contract avenues that an AFL player.

Reply #103849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time to get a guy who can play the whole season, most seasons don't you think. Not much point having a gun with blanks.

Reply #103853 | Report this post

Edgy Droves  
Years ago

Asking Maher to take a cut for the "benefit of the team" is risky. (Refer to Holmes, Forman, Rychart). There are quite a few clubs who would probably be quite happy to pay Mahers current wage (and then some?) to get a hold of him for his last year or two. It is a tough call the Sixers will need to make. Obviously he would want to stay in Adelaide and stay with the Sixers if possible but an extra $200K over a couple of years would be attractive to anyone about to retire and with two young kids.

Reply #103857 | Report this post

Jimmy The Snitch  
Years ago

Big Mal Hammerling will find a easy going job for Brett after he has hung up his boots somewhere in the city of Adelaide council to help subsidize his loss in wages.

I wonder if Pasadena or Wayville maybe looking for a new manager in 2 or 3 years and Brett gets the job, big mal can pull a few strings with his buddies' to keep the jobs for the boys program working well at the Sixers.

But being serious, everyone knows that Brett is Sixer blue through and through and wouldn't leave over money. He has been paid very well over the last 10 years and will be looked after long into retirement. Expect him to sign a new contract just after Christmas and at a reduced rate.

Reply #103865 | Report this post

Newman  
Years ago

Sutton is the new Maher

Reply #103877 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Jimmy, hate to point out that Mal is no longer CEO of Adelaide City Council, and rumours would suggest he doesn't have many favours to call in there.

Reply #103902 | Report this post

Jimmy The Snitch  
Years ago

Yogee - My tongue was firmly in my cheek with that comment.

Reply #103908 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

My apologies then Jimmy :)

Reply #103920 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:42 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754