Isaac
Years ago

Stirling reappointed for two years

OPALS HEAD COACH JAN STIRLING RE-APPOINTED

Following the unanimous recommendation of a five member review panel and its endorsement by the Board of Directors, Basketball Australia is proud to announce the re-appointment of Jan Stirling as head coach of the national women's program (the Opals) for the next two years.

The announcement of the head coach of the national men's program (the Boomers) will occur on Wednesday morning.

Stirling led the defencejobs Opals to a bronze medal at the 2002 FIBA world championship in China, to silver at the 2004 Olympics in Athens, to gold at the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne and most recently to gold at the 2006 FIBA world championship in Brazil.

"It must be understood quite clearly that the world championship gold medal in 2006 was the end result of many years of hard work," Stirling said.

"Now there is a great sense of belief in the group we have that we can win a gold medal at the Olympics in Beijing.

"We know what is needed to get to the gold medal game and we know what is required to win it."

Stirling has had a long and illustrious association with Australian basketball, dating back to 1974 when she suited up as a player for the Opals. After five years of service she turned her attention to coaching and led the Adelaide Lightning to 12 straight Women's National Basketball League (WNBL) finals appearances between 1993 and 2004, winning championships in 1994, 1995, 1996 and 1998.

She was WNBL Coach of the Year in 1993, she became the assistant coach of the Opals in 1995 and was elevated to the position of head coach in 2001.

"Now that we are on top or close to it, staying there is going to be the challenge," Stirling said.

"If we work really hard we could perhaps do something very special."

The Opals are currently ranked number 2 in the world behind the United States, despite their unprecedented victory at the world championship in September.

"America are always going to be flagged number one, it doesn't matter what campaign you go into. They won bronze at the worlds, but I am sure they'll still be rated number one for the Olympics, so there is that hurdle."

Basketball Australia President John Maddock said that after the Opals' recent success, the decision to reappoint Stirling was not a difficult one.

"We are about to undergo a major review of our high performance program and it is comforting to know we have Jan Stirling on board for the next two years," he said.

"The results she has achieved with the team speak for themselves."

Topic #9190 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would stirling be one of the best women coaches in the world?

As some would know, she faced huge adversity and politics to get the players to achieve their successful best at the world champs.

Reply #103872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Poor Coach Graf...

Reply #103890 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Why poor Graf?? She has managed to coach a successful team with the world's best female player in it...big deal!

Stirlo has the runs on the board, and has an incredibly successful National and International career, and as long as her program continues to be successful, why shouldn't she get it??

Congrats Jan!

Reply #103901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

when you hardly do anything wrong - why should you be replaced.

well done and keep up the honorable work on and off the court jan.

rather go to a girls game at the moment - more happening on that scene in adelaide than anywhere else

Reply #103913 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

Wonder if Stirling would ever get a WNBA gig? Wonder if shes even interested in one?

Reply #103981 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

not her scene, the W - that is

Reply #103986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not taking anything away from the girls winning the WC, I think that is a fantastic effort. But is Jan REALLY that good a coach? Would the girls have beaten the USA if they came up against them? And why does an internationally recognised guard like Erin Phillips not see any minutes at all? Emily McInerny is the best defender in the country yet she sees no minutes either? And how does Emma Randall get picked over the likes of Jacinta Hamilton? Ok I know i'm playing devils advocate to all those Jan lovers. But really, I know many people that question a LOT of her decisions, and many of the girls dont have a whole heap of resect for her...her favourites and her dubious calls....

Reply #103990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets see........she won the WC hence is currently the best coach

Reply #103991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re coach graf... just meant she'll have to keep waiting for a bit longer before having the op to get the reins.
wasn't bagging the stirling appointment at all so get over being so defensive when there's no need to be. its BORING!

Reply #103995 | Report this post

wnba fan  
Years ago

Australia didn't WIN Gold.....USA LOST IT!!

Reply #104048 | Report this post

MP  
Years ago

USA choked, too big for their boots! hope they learnt a lesson from that, beware of the aussies!!

Reply #104050 | Report this post

play some 'D'  
Years ago

(#103990)
Answers to your questions (IMO and many others i'm sure)

Q: But is Jan REALLY that good a coach?
A: Yes. You don't win world championship with top players alone.

Q: Would the girls have beaten the USA if they came up against them?
A: Don't take anything away from this MASSIVE achievement by creating hypotheticals. It's nonsense. You say your not. But you are.

Q: And why does an internationally recognised guard like Erin Phillips not see any minutes at all?
A: I'm not taking anything away from Erin, but it was her first 'real' Opals appearance. Comm Games wasn't exactly huge challenge for the girls. She'll get her day i'm sure. She is awesome. But she was competing against a couple of very strong, accomplished point guards who got the job done. Australian basketball is quite different from the Americans. A team game is essential to win a World Championship.

Q: Emily McInerny is the best defender in the country yet she sees no minutes either?

A: Good point. But she showed little confidence in the Comm Games, this would have contributed. She'll hopefully have that nailed by Beijing.

Q: how does Emma Randall get picked over the likes of Jacinta Hamilton?

A: Team selection. Hmm. not the easiest job?!

Seriously, you post may have been valid if the girls finished 3rd or 4th... but come on.

Reply #104056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes all of Graf's recruiting claims look a bit full of it doesn't it!

Why would Australia want a coach like Graf who has already told players that they should come and play WNBL or her so that she can get them into the Aussie team when she is the coach?

Reply #104057 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

wnba fan - I didnt think that the US team even got themselves into a position to win gold...let alone lose it!

Reply #104068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basketball Australia has managed to get it so right with Jan, and so wrong with Goorgian.... really, what are they thinking?
You've got to wonder sometimes what the thought process at the top really is.

Reply #104141 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:28 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754