Isaac
Years ago

Goorjian reappointed as Boomers coach

Unanimous decision!

BOOMERS HEAD COACH BRIAN GOORJIAN REAPPOINTED

Following the unanimous recommendation of a five member review panel consisting of BA President John Maddock, BA CEO Scott Derwin, BA High Performance Manager Lorraine Landon, BA Board member Lois Appleby and Adrian Hurley as Chair of the BA Elite Performance Advisory Commission and its endorsement by the Board of Directors, Basketball Australia is proud to announce the reappointment of Brian Goorjian as head coach of the national men's program (the Australia Post Boomers) for the next two years.

"I appreciate BA giving me the opportunity to finish the job," Goorjian said.

"Upon my appointment the program was struggling, we hadn't qualified for the world championships in 2002 and everybody knew it was going to be a lot of work to bring the program back up.

"We've established a code of behavior and we've improved the guys physically and I think we've improved defensively, but we need to get those guys in this system on a consistent basis over the next two years in the lead up to the Olympic Games.

"If we can do that, the 12 best players in this country are pretty good, so I'm excited. The final analysis will depend on how we perform in Beijing."

Goorjian was first appointed as head coach of the Boomers in 2002. He has since won 49 of the 80 games played at the senior national level, or 61 per cent of all matches.

He led Australia to a 3-0 sweep of New Zealand at the 2003 FIBA Oceania Championship ahead of the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens where the team finished ninth, and to a gold medal at the 2006 Commonwealth Games in Melbourne. Under his guidance the team also qualified for the 2006 FIBA world championship in Japan, a feat not achieved since 1998.

A 4-time National Basketball League (NBL) Coach of the Year, Goorjian has won more games than any other coach in the history of the NBL (441) as well as more championships (5), while leading his teams to the semi finals or better for 19 consecutive seasons.

"I have no doubt that Brian is the right man for the job," Basketball Australia President John Maddock said.

"We look forward to supporting Brian in our quest to secure a medal in Beijing."

Topic #9203 | Report this topic

DB5  
Years ago

Well, hopefully they give medals for 6th-8th nowadays then...

Reply #104019 | Report this post

Moose  
Years ago

"Under his guidance the team also qualified for the 2006 FIBA world championship in Japan, a feat not achieved since 1998."
They make it sound as if we haven't qualified for several championships when in fact we only nissed ONE. (2002)

Reply #104034 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

Very interesting article. Very similar report of sportal.com. It reads as a press release from BA with no actual 'reporting' on the issue that critically analyses the decision. Apparantly 49 wins from 80 international is 'impressive'.

Reply #104037 | Report this post

Ken Richardson  
Years ago

They got this one right.....
He is the best man for the job.

Reply #104052 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That is a press release from BA, BTW.

Reply #104054 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

^^ I pity the fool who signed boy goorj....

Now that is a press release from BA.

Reply #104071 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Lots of backhanders directed to Smyth in that press release.

They made it sound like it was a difficult task for Goorj to lead the team to a berth at this years WC. But with NZ automatically qualifying this time around, Australia only had to beat the Pacific islanders to qualify. There's an acheivement worth writing home about!

Reply #104086 | Report this post

Ken Richardson  
Years ago

Intersting to know who else would be considered for the job at the moment?

Reply #104143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nice to see noone on this site holds a grudge !!!

Reply #104173 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Funny that Goorj states the squad was struggling when he took over, yet Phil was not allowed to use the very same reason as to why they did not qualify in 2002.

What has Goorj REALLY acheived since taking over...he got them to the Worlds, where the finished worse than last time around....sure they got the Gold at M2006, but only just, and against some relatively lack lustre competition.

Reply #104225 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Who is holding a grudge Anon? The question that is bothering me is the massively positive spin that BA seem to want to put on Goorj's 5 years as coach of the Boomers, where, lets face it, the results have been well below expectations in terms of past performances.

Reply #104234 | Report this post

ph  
Years ago

I think Goorj has done a pretty good job. I hate to say this but Phil let Australian basketball down with our failure to make w'champs. Next coach after Goory will most likely be Joyce but post Beijing.

Reply #104279 | Report this post

Harvard 1500  
Years ago

I can not believe that this clown of a coach boy goorj has been given another go at this. There is nothing extaordinary about our performances and you'd be able to argue that he cant even pick the best we got, I havent seen Cat wearing green and gold for a while among others.

If you ever watch an Aussie game it isnt exactly challenging to pick holes in his D and as for offence, 3 ball (goorj dont play inside), oh my what a difficult assignment for opposition coaches whose starting 5 dont play on their days off.

Give me a break. Give me strength. Give me a coach with a clue and a basic understanding of commonly used english

Reply #108855 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:17 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754