52-coke cans
Years ago

Why is Ben Pepper so underrated?

just wondering why thee hell noody ever talks about this bloke? he's a mobile big man who is reguarly putting up big numbers...what are your thoughts?

Topic #9242 | Report this topic

AK-47  
Years ago

yes
from what i saw he seemed to carve up Chris Anstey in there last game.
Chris Anstey had 10 and 9 while Pepper had 19 and 12.

Reply #104525 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Because he looks a few bucks short of a happy meal..

but then again Anstey looks like a large indiginious Australian bird.

Reply #104531 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Thats Gold Kwest Gold!

Reply #104535 | Report this post

52-coke cans  
Years ago

hahaha nice 1 kwest.

Reply #104539 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

No joke i have been saying that for at least 2 years. This bloke puts up good numbers almost every game and nobody seems to notice. I thought I was the only one, but seems a couple more are noticing aswell.

Reply #104559 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

I think it's becasue he isn't flashy in anyway. He'll get the ball in the low post and back a player down. Or score of the offensive rebound. Things that won't make plays of the week on any tape, except the his coach's.

Reply #104573 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Yeah he looks like a doofus - but i remember reading a few articles and seeing interveiws with the guy and he was - well for a pro-basketballer (who had been drafted by the Celts - yeah i know he never played but still) pretty erudite and humble...

Once again - the big question FIBA WCs... Wade Helliwell and Russell Hinder - but no Ben Pepper... damn shame that... I honestly beleive that cost us a genuine shot at the medals... I thought Helliwell would have learned decent footwork by now (clearly not judging by the number of baskets he fluffed into travels)... and Hinder looked cool with his super long drawers and his gangsta black shoes - but on court he was out of his depth - shame BA shame...

Reply #104580 | Report this post

Years ago

In my opinion, the pecking order as far as centres from Australia is as follows:

1 - Andrew Bogut
2 - Chris Anstey
3 - David Andersen
4 - Ben Pepper

Surely nobody else should even come close. That Ben Pepper was not in the Boomers team at the World Champs was a disgrace. No disrespect to Wade Helliwell or Russell Hinder, but they aren't up to Pepper's talent level. It's time for whoever picks the Boomers' team to realise that potential doesn't win games, talent does.

Reply #104657 | Report this post

Patty45  
Years ago

Yeah hes definately not talked about enough but then again he is in the All Star team.

Reply #104727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where is Schenscher on that list?

Reply #104758 | Report this post

52-coke cans  
Years ago

yeah speaking of scenscher if he got dropped by the bulls why doesn't he just come back to aus and dominate NBL? then in a couple years of dominating will get him more opportunities cause coaches will realise how good this bloke actually is...

Reply #104765 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

I'm not sure Schenscher is as good as some people here are saying... The top 4 Oz centres will change when the Schensh proves that he can be a quality Pro player... But the comparisons between Luke and Ben are intruiging... Both late developers - that were touted on potential - i think Luke is about the same type of player (slower but bigger) that Ben was when the Celts drafted him... I guess it's up to Luke to see if he can break into that list...

Reply #104768 | Report this post

Years ago

Apologies, I forgot about Luke Schenscher for that small list. I still think he'd be number 5, behind Pepper

Reply #104770 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Bump Schenscher down 1 more... Matt Neilsen would be ahead of him yeh?

Reply #112497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

because he spends too much time playing dungeons and dragons

Reply #127220 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont think you can question the mans athletic abilities, he's better than a lot of the current starters. but his attitude and personality make him an extremely disliked player.

Reply #127221 | Report this post

brittany pepper  
Years ago

he is my dad so be quiet!

Reply #272743 | Report this post

brittany pepper  
Years ago

you are so mean

Reply #272744 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Chill Brittany, I think the general consensus is that Ben was a very good player, and I for one was sad when his career was cut short.

While he perhaps didnt receive the kudos he deserved, he did win an U23 world championship gold medal in Melbourne in 97 and represented Australia in senior ranks in the very successful 2002 team.

You should be proud of what he achieved.

Reply #272748 | Report this post

paddy.  
Years ago

Even seeing him play now the man has extreme talent.. and as far as his attitude and personality he is very well liked and is a nice guy...

Reply #279834 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

I wonder if the Celtics could sub him in for Perkins for game 7. Championship.

Reply #279842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ok listen here, he is a hell lot better than you that are just jealous you horrible beings do you know how this would make him feel? Well how would you feel To see something like this about you! I hope something like this happens to you it is so mean and he was actually a Great player and great funny guy I bet you didn't even know him personally don't judge him by looks either! Just keep your horrible thoughts to yourself how woul his family feel??? Please just don't say things like you have above
You dont to know who I am but trust me I have known him for a lot longer than you and know more about him than you.

Reply #384535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is a great player

Reply #385774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was wondering who could be so deluded as to create a thread like this until noticing its age. I now see it's mostly the Pepper clan & friends defending the guy.

Yes, ee might be a great bloke but a great player he wasn't. History doesn't get rewritten for nice guys.

Reply #385785 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:09 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754