Libertine
Years ago

New Rules

So what was the experience like with the new rules? Personally, the removal of the jump ball at half time makes much more sense, and takes away a potential advantage!

Subbing at all times may prove interesting, as it was forgotten a few times (by both people on the bench to press the button and by players/coaches that didn't go on/told players to wait!).

Anybody get a T for flopping? Anybody get a T for standing up (only the coach allowed to do so)?

Also for the coaches, did any ref ask you to nominate a captain? This was explained on the 'New Rules' sheet I got from Pasadena, but not from the Wayville one - I assume as he can only ask the referee as question (is this right?).

Would be interesting to see what, if any impact they had at all.

Topic #926 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought the "captain" rule was removed from junior district??? This include U20/21s? I'll have to re read the rules.

The no jump at half is understandable, tho refs need to realise that before the half even starts the arrow should've already been turned, and then turned back again when it's passed in. I had that happen this morning when coaching, it should've been my ball to start the half, yet they forgot to turn it around resulting in the arrow pointing their way due to the switch of ends. I questioned the referee and they just looked at me with a blank look like they didnt understand. Oh well. So far the two games I've seen (my game and my coaching team) the refs seem to be a little more enthusiastic. Good work, keep it up. Also I havent seen anyone argue with refs which hopefully will stay that way.

Reply #10163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what club are you affiliated with libertine? just curious...

Reply #10171 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

I didnt mind the jump ball rule, the auto techs didnt occure, and from what i saw my team mates were standing alot on the bench including myself. and i was totally unaware of the new subbing rules?? i also thought there was another one but i cant remeber it. over all i didnt really mind the changes.

ps. im on the leader board now!!!

Reply #10184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh the other change is the sub on any whistle for either team. This was good coming from a coaches perspective, meant I didnt have to wait ages just to get a sub on court.

Reply #10189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where can you get a summary of all the rule changes? Is there anything on the net.

Reply #10192 | Report this post

Boony  
Years ago

Was there any new rule for an unsportsmanlike foul? I got a very, very, VERY soft unsportsmanlike =\

Reply #10193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what did you do?

Reply #10194 | Report this post

Boony  
Years ago

i stopped a fast break, i got in front of my man and sort of gave him a soft shove back with my armbar then got an unsportsmanlike

Reply #10196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah .. one of the new rules is that if a player is on a fast break with no defender in their way.. and then a defender comes up from behind and fouls.. it is seen to be a unsportsmanlike, at the referees discretion...

some of these new rules are a bit shotty!!

Reply #10197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you got in front, I dont understand how it was an unsportsmanlike either. Good work for busting your ass to get back though ;)

Reply #10198 | Report this post

Boony  
Years ago

haha, yeh i did get in front, interesting call =\

Reply #10204 | Report this post

Boony  
Years ago

And might i add it was outside the 3 point line

Reply #10208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

where did you play?

Reply #10210 | Report this post

Boony  
Years ago

Best if I didn't say that :P

Reply #10213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Best if you did ;) So we know not to chase down a fastbreak when playing there :P

Reply #10216 | Report this post

Boony  
Years ago

haha i dunno if i should say =\

Reply #10218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why not? whats the worst that could happen? the stadium manager will cry?

Reply #10219 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I watched Boony play although I left before the incident...he was in one of the more controversially ending games of the weekend!

And what club am I affiliated with? You've got 10 guesses! :P

Reply #10254 | Report this post

Boony  
Years ago

You watched me play? =\

Awesome, are you in div 3 u/18s then?

Reply #10255 | Report this post

shmee  
Years ago

Why are you unable to say Boony? I believe sturt div 2's were playing at morphett vale, i wonder who they were playing? :D

[Mod: You're wrong!]

Reply #10292 | Report this post

Boony  
Years ago

I don't wanna say, cos the refs cop enough shit as it is. So I'm not gonan give their name or stadium they played atsorry shmee :P

Reply #10296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ahh, am i really wrong? hmmph i could've sworn i saw tom Huxford warming up on court two... meh. Sporting pulse it is.

Reply #10326 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the subbing rule is crap when its not a fully timed game because u can sub when the other team has possesion and if there is only a few seconds left it wastes the time its crap it should only apply in fully timed games

Reply #10365 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I agree, that is poor form (especially in junior basketball) if a coach chooses to do that to intentionally hold play up.

Perhaps there needs to be a safe guard on it.

A couple of suggestions :

1) No subs in the last minute of the first 3 quarters for non-fully timed games.

2) The clock stops on subs in the last minute of each quarter.

Personally, I think scorebench people have enough to think about (especially parents who are 'helping out') so 2) is not quite as viable.

I do think it could become an issue though, as coaches become acustomed to the new rule and try using it to their advantage in what I consider an unfair way.

Reply #10366 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Maybe stop the clock for the last 3 minutes of every quarter, reduce the half time break to one minute?

Reply #10367 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

I don't think that would work. Games rarely run on time as is. I like Hoops suggestions :)

Reply #10369 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Other alternative is to play fully times 7 minute quarters? That would equate to roughly an hour. The 8 minute quarter games are scheduled for 75 minutes, but most 'should' finish in well under that time.

7 minute quarters should be able to be done in 60 minutes and I think it'd give the players more playing time. Something to investigate given the way the new rules are, perhaps?

Reply #10370 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Definitely: we do it in social all the time, subbing with little time left to waste our opponents' advantage. It's just smart!

Reply #10428 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

No No No! We're saying that should be avoided in district bball!

On the other hand, in social bball when the opposite team is a bunch of ****s who haven't stopped bitching and arguing all game and you're winning by 3pts with 8 seconds left, you should foul and call a sub just like we did last week :)

Reply #10431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think the new jump ball rule is great,
every team should have a captain.

Reply #10454 | Report this post

Suggestion  
Years ago

Could always follow the approach in european handball where you can sub at any time but play does not stop!! This puts the pressure back on the side making the sub to do it when it least effects their play

Reply #11724 | Report this post

Eddie #55  
Years ago

thats a decent idea

Reply #11846 | Report this post

Boony  
Years ago

that would be crazy =\

Reply #11858 | Report this post

hub  
Years ago

Go Eddie you gun

Reply #12558 | Report this post

hub  
Years ago

but I don't like the rule idea much interesting but im with boony

Reply #12560 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:06 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754