kenny & spenny
Years ago

Scaling junior fees, paying coaches?

I think that junior fees should be scaled.

i.e. a div 1 player with a possible sasi / state / well credentialled coach pays the same fees as a div 5 player with a mum / dad coach (or even no coach)

obviously the clubs have a basic expectation for their budget ie 100 players @ $250 fees etc - but teams that have mum and dad coaches (or none) should be discounted.

Which leads me to the next topic - should we be offering a coaching payment for teams that can not get a coach ie a club appoints a "flying coach" who will move around on game day and cover what games are short - they can be reimbursed / paid a small fee ie $15 a game

ie they fill in at 0800 for u10s then 0930 for u14s then 1130 for u16s etc - where ever the clubs shortfall is.

If a young person could make $30-40 from this it may attract some

Topic #9297 | Report this topic

FM  
Years ago

Well I could see our current Referees wanting to take on this role. No running, no ironing, abuser v abusee, More pay

Reply #105179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coach does not get paid. our fee's go into paying for nomination and training court hire.

This costs the saem for a div 1 or a div 5 player.

To pay a coach $15 per game. To coach 40 games per year for a team you are looking at an extra $80est on top of your fee's per year. Not sure how many parents with multiple kids could afford that? We would see a reduction in the number of players and therefore teams. Possibly making it easier to find coaches for all teams.

Reply #105185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are also assuming that the Div 1 coaches are more knowledgeable than other coaches, and that State/SASI coaches are better than those who chose not to be. We all know this is not always the case. With the distinct lack of quality coaches around these days some clubs are simply taking what they can get.

FM, No abuse? You have obviously never been a coach.

I dont know if it still stands but some clubs used to give a discount off your fees if you or a member of your family coached a team. This is where the "Mum and Dad" coaches stemmed from for Div 4 and below.

The deal with coaching is that it is a voluntary, thank less and unrecognised job. I cant see any sort of payment increasing anyones appreciation of what coaches actually do and the time and effort they put into their team(s).

Reply #105187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is going to coach these teams at trainigs during the week?

If somebody is coaching 3 teams on the weekend. That would mean making 6 trainings during the week! If not sure that $15 for the games is all that good when you are also spending 6 hours a week coaching the trainings. Including the games means that you would be making about $2 per hour.

If you planned on paying them for training as well, you would be paying about $250 on top of your current fee level.

Never going to happen.

I know this site is for everyone. But honestly, some people should think before they write!!!

Reply #105210 | Report this post

Sector &G  
Years ago

Don't be too harsh.
It's actually a very few people that are involved in the day to day running of the clubs and have an appreciation for the amount of money it takes to run a district club.
The fact is that it's a shitload.
Paying every coach isn't practical but the better, more organised clubs find a way to "pay" someone who co-ordinates the programmes and organises and monitors coaches etc etc.

Reply #105212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No FM then they'd have to communicate, they have not been taught how to do this yet.

Reply #105243 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sector &G

Are you telling me that people don't understand that coaches turn up at trainings?

Or that currently Basketball and the clubs have just needed to ask the government for $15M to get out of debts?

Do you think that people are living under a rock?

Just shows why basketball in ths state is currently struggling. Ignorant people thinking that they have a solution without any understanding of the process and it problems.

Reply #105246 | Report this post

Sector 7G  
Years ago

D. None of the above.

Reply #105441 | Report this post

catherine  
Years ago

well yes i argee the coaches give up a lot of there time to either coach there children sport or make some schoo,l kids do it that have lotes of homework and i think the coaches shoulfd get paid from catherine beinke

Reply #107223 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:01 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754