Anonymous
Years ago

Assist Clarification

A player passes the ball to a team mate who gets fouled on the shot attempt. Does the guy on the line have to knock down one or two shots for the distributor to receive an assist or does this not count as an assist at all.
Never known the answer to this and I am sure someone can tell me.
Thanks.

Topic #9332 | Report this topic

Kwest  
Years ago

Im pretty sure just one.

Reply #105680 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I didn't think that an assist was awarded at all?

Reply #105687 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

nah man, no assists on free throws

Reply #105695 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

In Aust - if the player hits either FT, it's an assist.

This isn't the case in the USA, though, as no assists are awarded on FTs.

Reply #105707 | Report this post

Stiffy  
Years ago

Yet good PG's in the NBA average 9 or 10 assists a game, and you're doing well to average 6 or 7 in the NBL.. Ive always wondered why that is.

Reply #105710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For some reason it's the same in Europe and college ball in the US too. Different rules about crediting assists in the NBA?

Reply #105723 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I thought that in the US for the player to be awarded the assist the first FT must be made, I'm sure I read that somewhere just recently.

As for the NBL I'm not sure, I think the first is a good idea, rather than any one of the 2.

Reply #105739 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Hoop Addict does that mean a block counts if you block a shot after the whistle goes on a play?

Reply #105762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no. The block happens after the whistle, where as the assist happens before. Note the difference?

Reply #105765 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

An assist is awarded if the player taking the shots received a pass immediately before the foul.

This only counts for shooting fouls, not bonus.

Reply #105769 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Further to why different to the NBA, it probably comes down to why a lot fo things are different, everyone else plays to FIBA rules, whereas the NBA tend to just use what they want to out of the International game.

Reply #105772 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

No Kent, a block doesn't count after the whistle goes.

Reply #105791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't logic suggest that if the USA are having trouble adapting to the international game at the Olympics and such, they would just change the NBA rules to conform with FIBA rules?

Reply #105807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

well done Yogee and Hoop Addict on a cheap stat pad, you guys must be statisticians... or there's a terrible echo in here.

Reply #105812 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:25 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754