Anonymous
Years ago

Things need to Change Starting at the top

After the game last night, it is obvious that things need to change, so I thought I'd put together a list of things that I think need to change for the Sixers to become real contenders again.

1. Nothing against Phil as he has done a lot with the 3 titles he has won us, but it's time to move on. We need to shake things up a bit, it seems like most of the time the Sixers just go through the motions almost like they are bored with the same ol' same ol'

2. We need to find some lock down defenders like Nash. (Nash is still one of the top defenders in the league, if you actually watch the game Nash does all the little things) *senses abuse coming*. But the Sixers don't have any player that can just play lock down D on the perimeter, which is why we get torched.

3. We new to bring through our young players, I can guarantee that the crowd wouldn't be anywhere near as angry if we lost while playing all our young guys.

4. We need someone like your Gower's and Slambours that will actually dive on a loose ball or really body up some players and actually show some heart and passion.

5. We need to attack the basket, we settle for the jump shots way to often and this needs to change. AJ attacks the rim, Horvath attacks the rim and they score, penetrate and dish just attack the rim I say

6. We need to get over losing Newley, he is way too turnover prone and not as good as everyone says. We need to look closer to home at some of the guys coming through now. (I want Ingles back though)

7. Last but not least if we take into account my previous points we should be aiming for a team something like:

PG - Maher, Sutton
SG - Young SA player, Hill, Ng
SF - AJ, Nash, lockdown defender
PF - Horvath, Young SA player
C - Cooper, Wheeler

Just my 2 cents worth anyway. Would be interested to see how many people agree/disagree with my ideas.

Addition: AJ needs more minutes no doubt at all.

Topic #9340 | Report this topic

thomo  
Years ago

aj has shown his worth and was great to see him start , needs a shit load more minutes

Reply #105776 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Nash a lockdown defender huh? Last night Rillie got 32, Saville had 30 something in here, Liam Rush a career high...

But fortunately Nash has balanced this with 3.3ppg and 31% shooting from the field. We will continue to get killed each and every week so long as he is the cornerstone of our defence. Mackinnon will KILL us on Sunday.

Majstrovich needs 30+ minutes. He actually DOES add a bit of toughness, and is a threat at the other end.

Reply #105778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maher is getting past I think, thats where things need to move on if anything. my 2 cents is get rid of wheeler who is robbing the team of money at the moment. Horvath lost his head at the end 3 times in a row during a crucial part of the game when the team was within 3 points----it caused an 8 point turn around and in my opinion lost them the game (so unprofessional). Willie is in top form and needs some plays to be ran for him when he gets as hot as he has been the last 5 or 6 games. he is scoring tough baskets maybe they should help with some easier ones. Cooper played well and I think that Ng isnt ready for the amount of minutes he is playing. Sutton has done well with what he has been given, Copes is on his last legs, and Dodman wont be ready for the NBL for another 4 years. I could keep going but thats enough

Reply #105781 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

Question mark re. Nash, otherwise complete agreement Bizzy. Maesto definitely should have more time. I reckon their biggest problems are lack of team spirit and softness, both of which imo, are the coaching panels responsibility.

Reply #105789 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea, now Hill is out injured i assume sutton moves into the 10 full time until he recovers, so id like to see rotations like this for the rest of the season (or untill Hill returns)

PG Maher 30mins/Sutton 10/Ng 5
SG Farley 35/Copeland 5/Ng 8
SF Majstrovich 20/Nash 15/Copeland 13
PF Horvath 35/Majstrovich 10/Nash 5
C Cooper 25/Wheeler 23

I think that gives us a reasonably balanced line up, and a settled rotation would help the team gel aswell.
What do people think??

Reply #105801 | Report this post

chino  
Years ago

for starters it needs mentioning that last nights game against Townsville was dreadful. Adelaide went from being up by nearly 20 to losing by 20ish - how does it happen at such an elite level with a half decent team? Well one of the reasons is Copeland - he needs to go and go now..he is hurting the team more than anything else. If he is to stay though there is a message for him - "Pass the ball". The same is starting to apply to Farley aswel - people come to watch the 6ers play not the Farley show, or the Copeland fair.
On top of this, Hovrath was the turning point in the game last night, we were 2 points down (91-93) when he decided to have a tantrum - selfishness truly shown there.
P.S. It is a terrible thing that happened to Brad Hill however it was accidental - Abney could not have just let him scored easily - his coach would have tore strips off him, instead the crowd of the Dome did for the remainder of the night.

Reply #105813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couldnt agree more with the passion statement.

How Brad can get taken out (although with no-intent to harm) and noone come running in and getting in Abney's face is an absolute disgrace.

I dont blame Abney, and you can see he was worried as soon as Brad fell... but for the sake of backing up your teammates... noone got in his face... or hammered him off the ball.

Reply #105818 | Report this post

walsh peter  
Years ago

I regularly check this site and enjoy the banter.I have one golden rule that I have abided by for a long time.If a contributor hasnt got the intestinal fortitude to state his or her name I hit the delete button.Letterse unsigned finish up in file 13- the rubbish tin!!!!Anonymous seems to fit neatly into that slot!!

I hope the 36s can turn around their fortunes against the Bulletts and win a home game next Wednesday.

I hope to have more on Lightning early in the morning.

Stick with the teams.Its too easy to be a fair weather supporter!!

Reply #105820 | Report this post

Navy Seal  
Years ago

Our own cheersquad started this strong critical topic? Bizzy, arent you a Navy Seal>? If so...things cant be too good when those who's job is to never say die are doing so!

Reply #105848 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Careful Peter,
People on here get very 'touchy' when you call them fair weather supporters. It's way to close to the bone for some.
Nice T-shirt!!

Reply #105855 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Navy Seal, constructive criticism and free speech. I think Bizzy put forward a reasonable argument though I'm sure that not all will agree with everything he's said.

Peter, there's no delete button on this forum (unless you're a moderator) so I'm assuming you just ignore anonymous posts - each to their own. Any in particular in this thread that have you all worked up?

We've talked about this "fair weather" business before. These people talking about what they think is happening are going to the games and supporting the team - on here, they are merely discussing and making their suggestions.

Here's a hypothetical for you - say poster x suggests player y should be cut after this season. Some criticise them for their "fair weather support" (yawn...). Then the club does actually follow through, seem to agree with the criticism, and cut player y - are they "fair weather administrators"? I mean, seriously.

I hate to invoke Godwin's Law here, but are those protesting against a war or a dictatorship or for environmental issues - are they a "fair weather public" or are they acting on their concerns for the betterment of their society, species, club?

Reply #105857 | Report this post

Navy Seal  
Years ago

a captain stays with their ship

Reply #105870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So is Bizzy posting as an "ambassador of the club"?? as has been proclaimed the Seals are?

Anyone else involved in game nights (players, coaches, referees, score table/stats/music guys. announcers) all have code of conducts in where they are not allowed to comment on the actualy game, but our self proclaimed "ambassadors" can call for the coach to be sacked??

Hmmm......

Reply #105871 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

Who isn't sick and tired of watching the other teams go on runs. Such as 8 - 0 , 10 - 0 runs and Phil just sit there and assume that the team is going to work it out. when you look at it the championships we won Phil didn't really need to coach the teams. They were goo enough to do everything themselves. I mean when we went back to back You had Mee and Brooks basically fresh out of the NBA, Maher just coming into his greatness. The Cat, John Rillie coming off the bend for god sake. It seems when we need to him to take some control, such like when Willie just shoots sill shots all the time, Phil just lets him go. I could sit there and make subs here and there and just let the playing run their own thing and look good an win.

It looks to me now that Phil needs to do some coaching with this team and he can't and I'm sorry my friends and fellow supporters its time to go!!!

Reply #105887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love it when people just try to find a way to bring down the Seals, I made comments on what I think needs to happen for our club to be successful. Isn't that what an ambassador wants? Success for the club?

Reply #105921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bizzy, I am not trying to bring down the Seals, but why, when they are an "official" arm of the club, why are they allowed to post comments, when other people who are at the games, are not allowed to make their feelings known?

Reply #105922 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Why aren't they? I didn't bring down anyone, I offered some constructive criticism. In no way did I make any unruly comments against the Sixers, player or club as a whole.

What is it about my post you have such a problem with?

Reply #105923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Navy Seal : any captain worth his salt wouldn't lose the ship in the first place to go down with it.

Reply #105925 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Well it is time to forget referring to fair weather supporters. This is now a business and I like paying customers to shareholders of a company. They demand success and a good return. They expect that their CEO is going to be the right person for the job. They also expect that when challenges are forthcoming, that the CEO will hve the right plans to meet those challenges. What price 36ers shares at present and would shareholders be happy with Phil Smyth as their CEO? I think not!
And as for Nash being such a good defender, then let's trade him to another club, we should get a fortune - like about $1.19. I just love the way he gets all the guys together on court for a quick ra ra session straight after he has committed another worthless foul or allowed yet another small forward to score. At least I can see the funny side of him.
We have to face up to it, this season is over, we are a very weak and soft side (but then again this team has been soft for a long time now, so look to next season when massive player changes need to be made and of course the coahing staff.
Good to see Boti finally starting to refer to this softness in the paper today, he is still short of deflecting any blame on the coach, but you never know, that may soon come. After all, he can't blame everything on Phil Sanders now, as he is no longer with the organisation.

Reply #105929 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Bizzy, I dont think you are understanding the role that normally a cheersquad would play in a sporting organisation. I am asuming the Navy Seals are such a group. Passionate supporters of the club who wish to be acknowledge by the audience and the club as such, therefore wearing the club colours and sitting as a team. I dont see myself as putting them down, just questioning one persons behavour as not fitting the chapter of the Seals.

I imagine they first need to understand and demonstrate LOYALTY. This is usually the main role such a 'team' play. I dont see your 'constructive critism' as loyal at all, infact quite the opposite. As for freedom of speech Isaac, I dont think that is true when talking about an organisation and the role the Seals are playing or suppost to play.

Reply #105933 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I think by asking for changes so we can again be a powerhouse is being loyal. Never once did I put down the current squad, I just said that there were missing pieces. I can guarantee my loyalty, I have been a fan since I was about 5, so 16 years or there abouts, I have stuck with them through it all, and I will continue too.

What is it about my post you see as un-loyal? I would have thought as a loyal fan you would want what is best for the club?

I think it should be noted that I have also paid the $750 for my mum, wife, brother and another too attend every game. So I am also a fan.

Reply #105936 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Bizzy, I didnt mean to offend and hope I havent... jsut very surprised at how open it all is from the 36s. When I read your message, it came across to me (and I am only one person but it is my feeling) that you want the replacement of the head coach. I didnt think that ambassadors would talk about other employees or members of the business in public. As a member of the 36ers team, I woudl have thought you would be required to take these concerns direct to your superior and not on a public forum.

Also, you said that some players lack heart and passion. A statement that if I was a player would probably really annoy me.

Still it is just my thoughts. I guess I am more surprised at the 36ers for allowing staff to talk in public than at your personal thoughts. For the record, I tent to agree with a lot you said. My reaction stemmed from visualising this occuring in my business, I would be horrified to think staff where talking in public about the problems they perceive may be occuring in my business. I always drum into them that we talk about problems in-house and fix them in-house.

Reply #105957 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

You have to remember Anon, that we Seals are really passionate fans and I guess that from a Season ticket holders point of view that's where my view was coming from not as a Seal.

Reply #105962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also the Seals are hardly an integral part of the 36ERS organisation.

They're just a small group of fans who get free stuff and good seats to do a bit for the club during games.

To make them out to be part of the organisation is just crazy.

Reply #105963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Score table and stats staff are also considered to be "part of the organisation" when they actually have no affiliation with the club.

The people working in these areas are actually attached to a National panel, and due to their locality are rostered to do Adelaide home games. Yet they have to remain silent....

Once again to me, the Seals want to be regarded as ambassadors of the club, yet they go on record calling for the coach to be removed at the end of the season....hmm no loyalty there...and once again why do they think they speak for every fan.

Either they want to be ambassadors and pull their heads in with their comments and derogatory behaviours, or just call themselves extreme fans and do what they are doing on their own.....can have your cake and eat it too!

Reply #105968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who says the scoretable and stats people have to be quiet.

There are a number of stats people who are regular contributors to four different websites and I'm sure their duties on the stats bench hasn't influenced what they've said here and on other sites.

If the actual 36ers management chooses to keep giving them benifits despite what they may say publicly then that's management's choice. If they're not happy I'm very sure they'll let the Seals know about it.

Reply #105971 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Bizzy, thanks for your response. I understand where your passion comes from and good on you. Just to clarify again my concerns, it was NOT at the Seals, just surprised at the freedom to express opinions.
105963, the Seals are part of the organisation. Have you seen their vids they do? They have full access to all players and coaching staff

Reply #105978 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

"Annon" - the MC, announcer, etc - those are paid positions. I don't believe that the Seals get paid, so referencing them as part of the club's staff is a stretch. Bizzy is posting as a fan - were he doing otherwise, I'm sure he'd sign the post with his job title.

I'd liken them a little to the SDS at West Sydney games, members of which often post on OzHoops with their thoughts.

Perhaps the club may ask that informal associates of the club tone down comments, but I would support them having the ability to express their opinion and show their interest and passion.

Reply #105991 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Ok, I can appreciate that someone might find it inappropriate for a Navy Seal to offer strong thoughts, but I am also a Paying Season Ticket Holder and am an extremely passionate fan out there every week, watching games since I was young, but I will try and be more careful about what post in the future.

Reply #106165 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:54 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754