walsh peter
Years ago

Stick with the teams through thick and thin!!

When times are tough lets not turn against the team.Lets support twice as hard.

Message to the moderator.

Why dont ALL contributors identify themselves??

Those who dont must have a problem!!

The delete button works well for me!

Its like receiving unsigned mail!!

Really courageous! File 13 for me -

THE RUBBISH BIN!!!!!

Topic #9343 | Report this topic

Cry Baby  
Years ago

Its like watching a TV program, if you aint happy with the content, switch off, its your choice.

If you have a problem with the anon and stupid name posts, then I suggest you take your great posts some other place.

Lighten up!

Reply #105825 | Report this post

walsh peter  
Years ago

Come in spinner!!!!!

Reply #105826 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

People want to stay anonymous for various reasons.

As for when times are tough, people have been chopping at this team from day one, not just cause the results are not so good. However the poor performances have no doubt increased this chatter.

After all this is a forum for basketball chat, not just good stuff - not everything is always rosy ask any Razorback fan...

Reply #105828 | Report this post

Rueben  
Years ago

i would if i could find one...

Reply #105829 | Report this post

walsh peter  
Years ago

DJ A balanced comment and I agree that this is an excellent outlet to express views in a constructive way.If there are thoughts on how we can improve I am sure that the powers to be are keeping an eye on this site.Fans in SA seem to have a real feel for Sport and their knowledge is second to none.It is important to stimulate the grey matter about the Sport we all love!!

My thoughts on being anonymous will never change!

Thanks for taking the time to respond DJ

Reply #105834 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I see your point Peter, however how is someone putting DJ, 52 Cans, or anything make the person more respectable?
Only a few people would probably still know who these people are?

Reply #105836 | Report this post

Tony Blair  
Years ago

also some of the anons are worth listening too they have the inside story and do not wish to be named.

fair weather fans. I paid more than $600 for my gold membership tickets Peter what did you pay?

when I can't use my tickets I have given them to ex season ticket holders who have enjoyed the experience and on the last two games to people who have never been to sixers game in the life.

as a season ticket holder since 1990
I figure I have the right to critise when I see a team lacks direction, lacks guts, lacks defence, lacks an offence.

I have put my hard earned money behind the club for many seasons - not a fair weather fan but one who is so over this underachieving team.

Reply #105838 | Report this post

walsh peter  
Years ago

Skip

Fair point.Whats wrong with your real name.I love duelling verbally with fans.You are a keen enough to put across you thoughts and they provide much nourishment.Dont stop doing that.Its all about opinions and we differ on this issue.I look forward to your continued thoughts.

Reply #105839 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

"If there are thoughts on how we can improve I am sure that the powers to be are keeping an eye on this site."

I have a suggestion for the radio coverage.

I really really love it and it is great listening to you and Pat but there is only one thing you could do to be better.

Could you be silent for announcing of the starting 5? I love hearing the atmosphere and the introduction of both teams (especially the Sixers)because it builds up the excitement. Could you let us hear the crowd sometimes and if Farley gets a dunk or three or if any other player does something huge can we hear the crowd roar and the Mic guy saying FFFFFAAAAAAARRRRLEEEEEEY!!! If you know what i mean.

I am not telling you to shut up or anything like that, i just would like to feel like i'm part of it and i want to feel the atmosphere.

I really like your radio coverage, well done Peter Walsh and Pat Mickan, you are the best basketball radio commentators in Australia. Welldone on your work, can't wait for the next home game!

Reply #105840 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Some people will always remain anon, I personally use this nick and have done for many years, but are by no means hiding behind it.

Unfortuantely not all views are constructive and positive, nonetheless they are views of the fans, the same fans that the club will want/try to get there week in week out.

It's a shame, but there dosn't seem to be much change from the same talk that was going on at the start of the season in regards to team unity, coaching roles/performance etc etc.

A 17 point lead turning into a 21 point loss is ALMOST inexcusable and one thing that the Sixers as an organisation seems to fail to do time and time again is create accountability.

Take the Kings for example, top 3 on the ladder, take a 20 point hiding from the Dragons and their import is put on notcie - perform or else!

Sixers bad losses are followed by - need more time to gel, injuries have got us, tough schedule etc etc.
The Kings as much as I hate to say this have handled that loss quite well, they were without Jason Smith, Worthington back from injury and no mention of that at all, no excuses made.

Phil as coach or Brett as captain or the players themselves need to step up and say HEY we sucked we need to do better or something has to change.

Now maybe they do and have behind closed doors which is all very good, but the only way the fans and the current talk will change is if the fans know that someone is taking the blame, not making excuses and something will change.

The season is by no means over, and having a top 8 (STUPID) means realistically you can scrape into the 8, get the team rolling at the right time of the year and make a mockery of the playoff system.

BTW Good to see you being more active on the boards Welshy and keep the ABC online alive, us 'interstate followers' are loving it!

Reply #105841 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I love it too, i think you'll find that many on Ozhoops.com.au listen to it also and they are from around australia/nz/singapore.

Reply #105844 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

I use Skip because that is what I am called by everyone. Even half my family refer to me as skip and have done for many years. So to me, It isnt even an alias.

Reply #105849 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

All contributors don't identify themselves because they don't have to. If DJ or Skip used their "real" names, 99% of people wouldn't know who they were anyway - in fact, I'd suggest more people know them by those aliases than their real names.

And for the most part, though it might seem strange to you, is there any difference between addressing anon#183822 and "alias x"? It's still someone with a viewpoint. If people post multiple times to push their agenda, they are usually pulled up on it.

I can appreciate that there are often issues with anonymous postings, but I'd rather hear the honest thoughts of people from the safety that being anonymous brings, rather than people watching what they say. Feedback is invaluable to everyone.

People still go to games to support their team, but they also come onto this forum to discuss everything, good and bad.

And yes, the 'powers that be' regularly check in - it's a finger on the pulse.

Reply #105851 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I still think that every team has an 'off season' from time to time. The 36ers have won a good number of finals in the past few years.
And I recall that not too long ago...gee....was it just this year???...they didn't even know if they would still have a team.
Can't you PLEASE give them a break. They're not the only team who would like to win. Believe or not, there are 11 other teams all trying to do the same thing.

Reply #105856 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dana, that's ridiculous. Not knowing if they would have a team (like there was any risk of them folding!) has absolutely no bearing on the ability of a captain and coach to step up and lead the team right now, or to publically acknowledge potential issues, or for players to step up and play as a team or back up their injured team mate.

If you disagree with a specific point of criticism, respond to it.

I guarantee you that behind the club doors, there would be concerns after a turnaround loss like last night. People are not going to be given a break because we're due an 'off season' - the off-season is March-September, not when corporates are putting up big money and fans are making sacrifices elsewhere to attend games.

Teams don't just go through cycles of mediocrity and success. They succeed because they recruit well, play well as a team, are well supported, and play hard.

Reply #105859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Peter, if you pay your money you have the right to an opinion. It may or may not coincide with yours but I'd suggest those who bother to post probably care about the general malaise that has been aflicting the sixers.
I don't think the coach is the right guy, champion player and successful coach that he has been to continue with the team.
I don't think brett is capable of the things he once was and needs a role more suited to his injury prone body and that the team is in need of a rethink.
Play the rookies and look to next year and scrap a system where 12 teams have a final 8 which begs the question why? It is Mediocre and dull with no incentive to strive for a finals spot.
Even the strongest supporters of the sixers would concede that we have no place in a finals series and falling over the line 8th is a sham thats designed for money not for earned endeavour.
Getting behind your team should not be a 'for granted' , you need to earn respect and a team needs to play with heart and have direction. From where I sit , an opposition coach would have needed to scout a sixers game once and never need to do so ever again such is the predictability of the team.
My team does not have to win but it does have to have some passion , this one does not. My team needs to recruit well, this one did not, my team needs to be led, and it is not so Peter unlike your shirts I remain shadowy but involved and hope for changes to playing staff,coaches and to the final eight.
Your call to stick with them thru thick and thin is a psyeudonym for stupidity as the way forward for any team is take criticism on board and act on it where necessary.If this was football the coach would be gone as he is living on past glory. At the very least he has some explaining to do for the players he let go and the players he took on board.
Where the hell is Boti on the coach? 'Cause if it was the Australian coach Boti would be screaming for his head.
Soft on it and you get soft and we have got a very bloody soft team.
In SA we always settle for second best in sports teams and make excuses for them, Redbacks are prime example, and the comparisons between the two teams is amazing. No darren no redbacks: No brett no sixers . If you dont think somethings have to change Peter you're a rock solid supporter who would have cheered the captain of the Titanic as all drowned around you.

Reply #105861 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Oh CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply #105864 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

There is a difference between being a fan, and being unhappy with a teams performance.

A fan sticks by the team through thick and thin. Bad games, good games, bad seasons, good seasons.

You may not be happy with whats going on on court, but you stick with the team.

You may (as we all have a right to) voice your opinion. But at the end of the day, if you cant offer constructive criticisms, do you really have a valid point?? If you cant suggest an alternative, why complain in the first place. By doing that, you are basically saying "Hey there is a problem, and I dont like the problem, but I dont want to help be part of the solution either".

People will turn around and say "but I'm not running the club, I cant be part of the solution"..well if you think like that, why do you have a right to complain????

You don't think Phil should be coach - who are you going to put forward? Scott Ninnis who just got demoted by the 2nd to bottom team in the league (and I'm not casting any aspersions on Ninny or his abilities, just pointing out facts)...perhaps Kevin Brooks who has only stepped into NBL coaching scene this season, and ALLEGEDLY has interpersonal skills problems with some Woodville players due to coaching styles and ALLEGEDLY plays favourites?

I've seen Stacker even mentioned...the same coach who the Townsville fans got THAT sick of, they had "Sack Stacker" bumper stickers made up within 5 games of a season start???

Frank Arsego is another name mentioned....yeah has a great rep in junior ranks for coaching....but how is his NBL credentials...not that great last time I looked.

Sapwell is another name, totally untried in NBL territory...was supposed to be the saviour of Norwood in the ABA, but has failed to make the Big Dance in his 2 seasons at the helm.

Then the calls to replace Maher - I have already expressed my views on this pretty well, so I wont take up more space with that.

Sure, express your opinions, but come up with alternatives too!

Reply #105867 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

Peter - great call I enjoyed listening to it last night. I think Pat made a great early call when she said the 36ers needed to stop worrying about the officiating and focus on the next play. (If I remeber correctly the 36ers were still up at this stage!!)

I don't think anyone would say Pat was not getting behind the sixers by criticising their lack of focus. On the contray I think all of us listers appreciated her insight into what was happening. I don't know Pat personally but over time I think she has built up some credibility with listeners.

Similarly I know which posters have built up some credibility over time and will place greater reliance on their posts than I would for an "Anonymous", but at times there have been some great observations or comments which would not have been made if the poster had to identify themselves.

Its a balance but I think regulars know how to filter the posts to get an insight into the happenings within the sport.

Keep up the good work (Peter and regular posters)

Reply #105869 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

My how quickly we forget. It was only 3 months ago that the government had control of BASA. A buyer for the team had not yet been decided. Money was not there to be spent in putting together a decent roster. No decent player wanted to have a bar of Adelaide. Nobody knew if they accepted a contract here they had the security of atleast the whole of this season, let alone beyond. Ex Sixers who had played for Adelaide for atleast the last 4 years were performing a mass exodus. We are lucky to have a team. That was not a definite 3-6 months ago. How about we all be greatful for what we have. By the passion displayed for basketball on this forum, its obvious that a huge hole would have been left if we didn't have a team in the NBL. Let's look at it from the point of view that this is the beginning of a new privately owned team and we can build on what we have from here on.

Reply #105872 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

here here

Reply #105876 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

EC & Thommo Whats the history over the last year or so got to do with attitude on game night?

No-one questions that we have lost some skillful players but it appears that it is the attitude not skills that is the problem at the moment.

As I mentioned earlier the commentaors on ABC were noting when 36ers were still in front that if they kept focusing on bad calls they were going to loose. Surely an experienced coach or on-court leader could make a similar diagnosis?

Reply #105880 | Report this post

walsh peter  
Years ago

Supporters in SA are outstanding with their passion.You are ALL to be applauded.Your thoughts on the team and how we can improve or what you think we should or should not do are provocative.

I am disappointed at the inference that I cover the basketball for peanuts.3 people,myself Pat Mickan and Andrea Carnie are trying to keep Basketball afloat via the website AND we love it.
Anon-- No offence meant.I love reading this site because I know the people who contribute are genuine and want things to improve.

Isnt it so good to know that we only have to wait until Wednesday until we jump on the roller coaster ride again.

Now we can only hope the Lightning team wins.

Reply #105882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree EC. Now that we are finally privately owned (the last club in the NBL to be privately owned I must say!!), the hierachy can now offer other things outside the salary cap to lure players to Adelaide just like the other teams do. Players will now have job security and are less likely to leave.

Reply #105884 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Peter, I'm not sure where you got the idea from that someone said you "cover the basketball for peanuts". One poster (Anon #105861) said that anyone who pays their money (to support their team by going to games, buying merch, members tickets, etc) is entitled to an opinion - and wasn't (in my opinion) being derogatory towards you.

And the only criticism I read, was more a suggestion of how a minor change would enhance ABC's coverage, and that was 123abc's (post #105840), where he asked for the commentary team to remain quiet during "important events" in the game, to allow the atmosphere of the game to be heard more in the coverage - eg Starting 5, and the "FAAAR-LEEEEY!" calls that seem to happen a few times per game lately with his plays that get the crowd fired up.

So... who said you "cover the basketball for peanuts"??? I think you'll find most people here on HSA enjoy the coverage if they can't get to the game.

-KG.

Reply #105889 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, players left because the club let them become free agents and they received offers from elsewhere. The agent of two of those players approached the club with a view to extending their contracts and it did not happen.

"No decent player wanted to have a bar of Adelaide."

Who?

What has the state of BASA six months ago got to do with the determination of the current team?

Yogee, if you're not interested in discussions that, in your view, don't offer solutions, look elsewhere - read other threads, because there are others who want to discuss it regardless. You might think that alternatives aren't feasible, but since when is everyone going to agree?

A few years ago, an unproven coach came to the 36ers...

And on the topic of Maher, many people have put forward very viable suggestions just as you said: reduce his playing role, reduce his salary to aid with recruiting, play him slightly fewer minutes to increase his longevity, etc - everyone has their views and they all have their place here. (FWIW, I think calls of making him a sixth man go way too far - the most I'd do would be to talk to him about his role, see if a slight salary reduction was an option (if he said no, I would forget about it - haha), and maybe rest him a bit more each game - IMO, he is still the heart of this team on court, publically, etc - purely professional and untainted brand, probably the best reputation in the NBL, as Gaze copped a bit for his dad coaching, for being unathletic, etc).

105884, do you think Perth this season are offering special deals outside the cap to recruit? I doubt it. They would have to have one of the fairest rosters in the league, but they go at 110%, play as a team, and are beating expectations.

The solution is not special deals, the problem is not BASA's insolvency. Those comments remind me of people thinking that their financial problems will be solved by a pay rise - read a money book and you'll be told that a pay rise is not the solution - if you're crap with $x, you'll be crap with $x+1.

And because I can't name the Ultimate Solution, it does not mean that I can't discuss the issues with other interested parties.

Reply #105895 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

who is peter walsh?

therefore..he may as well be anon.

Reply #105904 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, I didn't suggest that the ex Sixers left because their jobs were not secure, I suggested that potential replacements for them were not interested. There were many free agents at the end of last season, I didn't exactly see a whole lot of them flocking to Adelaide. The best we could do was Lanard Copeland (past his prime but can light it up on and off) and Wheeler with an injury history that continued with his recruitment to Adelaide.

Reply #105911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh goodness "me" - you are kidding arent you?

Who is Peter Walsh?? Only the most highly awarded basketball journalist in the country, has won the NBL'S "Best News Radio package" for the last 5 consecutive years, broadcasts the 6ers home games, and has fought long and hard to be able to broadcast the Lightning games as well. Is part of the ABC's "Grandstand" team, has covered Olympics and Commonwelath Games.

Reply #105912 | Report this post

ALIAS  
Years ago

Is Peter Walsh your real name?

Reply #105914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For anyone one needs to wear loud shirts screaming 'look at me' the concept of anonymous would be difficult to reconcile. However, insulting your audience by demeaning them is a novel approach, good luck with it.
I would have thought you should have had some insight into the value of free speech and the rights of individuals to make points of view irrespective of whether you or I agree with them and not dependent upon the author's identity, as it is the idea that is the seed, is it not?
It would seem your perception of the worth of your personal points of view is exceedingly high matched only by your air of self-importance.
In other words I don't mind you being a big head with a point of view but let others have one too without being churlish about anonymity.
Someone's been kidding you about your involvement in intellectual debate Peter, your fighting out of your weight division.
I'll keep tuned to 891 with your imput and output but is that okay Peter, I'm an anonymous listener?

Reply #105915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for that Peter! (just joking).

Reply #105916 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

105861 (ANON) is a well written article . Does the fact that it is unsigned make it any less valid or worthy? Peter Walsh, I suspect you first posted this meaning what you wrote, then tried to make light of it when you read the Cry Baby response. A quality journo stands by what they write, so the only positive out of this would be the discussion that has taken place.

Reply #105918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC,

What about years past? Who has Phil been able to ever recruit? Mark Nash? AJ? Stiff?

Reply #105920 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Dana, you would have to be an Australian Greens supporter wouldn't you?

Reply #105931 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

If paying fans were to be compared to shareholders of a company, then would the shareholders be happy with what they see of their company (team) right now and the ability of the CEO (coach)? I think not.
I have a suggestion for Yogee - get rid of Smyth! As far as a replacement is concerned - anybody!
I have a great amount of time for you Peter Walsh, but if this was a forum where all that happened was that everyone just supported the side, no matter what, then noone would bother being here.
We have to face up to it that this team stinks, no good getting too emotional about it. What needs to happen now and I am sure it is happening, is some serious planning for next season - another season like this one and there will be a lot less people on here that's for sure.

Reply #105932 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Squid.....how hypocritical....

"no good getting too emotional about it"...."we have to face up to it this team stinks".....hmmm......

"Dana you would have to be an Australian Greens supporter"..not only emotional, but a straight out attack on someone....pure sign of intelligence...when you cant counteract someones arguement, just deride them.

Then again, your overwhelming counter point to mine which was to the effect of replace smyth with anyone...well thought out debate there!

Reply #105970 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Will agree with you Yogee on this - this is not a political discussion Squid.

EC, I can't speak for any players we might have pursued (can't really remember names being mentioned during the off-season, save Greer (smokescreen) and Freeman (irrelevant). But as I've said before, I was obviously privy to Oscar's thoughts about choosing between Adelaide and New Zealand, and the financial state of the club was not really a factor - there was a lot of interest in the club and was always going to be a buyer while the government had it up for a legitimate sale.

Which 'name' players did we go after who turned us down? The three forwards were let out of contract, received interested from elsewhere and left. Horvath has been excellent and came aboard. It's not like we offered good money to a Saville or Cattalini and got turned down, at least not that I've heard about.

Reply #106001 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

Hey Yogee, what about your comments over the years about Alan Westover? I remember reference to him being Lindsay Gaze's "yes man" to name one. Seems that was rather personal and as it turns out, very much off the mark!

Reply #106012 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

smyth has been been a good servant the catch here is "HAS BEEN"

he will do good at the gold coast next year no doubt about it but now adelaide needs a new face and system and there are some "favourite" sons out there who can get the job done here

Reply #106119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dana - The 36ers have won a good number of finals in the past few years.

Ummm, no we haven't. We've won ZERO finals the last 2 years. We're not likely to increase our final's win total this year either...

yogee But at the end of the day, if you cant offer constructive criticisms, do you really have a valid point??

So, when YOU condemned a referee after a Lightning game on this forum a couple of years ago, was that constructive? And you have the gall to call other people hypocrites.... Pfft.

Reply #106187 | Report this post

Magic  
Years ago

Yogee,
It's interesting that you point out Ninnis and Brooks and that they have no NBL experience, and rumours that surround them. If you can cast your mind back, I think you'll find that Smyth was appointed with similar credentials.

Reply #106197 | Report this post

walsh peter  
Years ago

To all supporters

I have worked for ABC Sport in 4 states over 30 years and the passion of people in SA for their Sport is second to none.

Vigorous debate is healthy !

We have to turn around our fortunes this wednesday.My major disappointment is that we seem to lack our usual intensity.At times we are in the faces of our opponents but we then seem to take th foot of the pedal.Is the discipline at a level that satisfies the coaching panel.No matter what happens the refs wont change their decisions.Lets have some passion on the court for the whole game.

Dont let the Pigs bring home the bacon on Wed !!!!!

Reply #106198 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Squid - I never made any comment to that effect. In fact I never even really knew much about Westover till he took over the reigns, apart from the fact he was Gaze's assistant.

Try again.

Reply #106218 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Magic - and back then I would have voiced my opinion about Smyth being appointed as well.

I am not saying Ninnis or Brooks should not be given the chance - far from it in fact.

Reply #106219 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Apparently i have missed the "importance" of peter walsh.

but then he is just a media person..not a member of the playing/coaching staff

Reply #106835 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:36 am, Sun 21 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754