Kent Brockman
Years ago

Jacob

I know he got a heap of boards last night but these boards were after missing some easy shots or taking some realy bad ones.

I know he is still young and learning the game at this level but i would rather see him get 30 and 5 than 20 and 15.

May be being a bit harch but i can not wait for him to get his shot consistant.

Topic #936 | Report this topic

Jasmine  
Years ago

I was thinking the same thing. His inability to hit the inside shot is one major flaw still in his game.

He is a good defender, a great rebounder, has a good back-to-the-basket game, his court vision, passing and play making skills have improved dramatically. If he could only stick that inside shot....

I'm sure he will get there. Every aspect of his game has improved year by year. No doubt that will as well.

Reply #10284 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I agree, though I don't think making 5 layups would take 10 boards off his stats.

It does some to be an issue, though as I've seen him miss probably 5 'easy' layups this season.

Reply #10303 | Report this post

hopeless  
Years ago

not that your points don't have some validity but after all

the team has won all but one game and only lost that on the buzzer

they won the blitz

aren't we just being a tad picky

Reply #10304 | Report this post

Shaqdiddy  
Years ago

Not at all, if jacob Holmes wants to take his game to the next level, he has to be able to make layups, and since this is a froum, it is a very good subject to discuss!

I really hope he gets in to a groove this season and continues to improve, because he could be that extra key to getting a ring this year in a very open league, which the Sixers have a hell of a chance at!

Reply #10305 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jacob is averaging 17 PPG and 10.3 RPG, along with 4.5 APG. He's a great free throw shooter and I'd say that the areas he needs to improve on are watching his turnovers (#1 in the Sixers) and his field goal percentage.

I must not have noticed miss lay-ups if others are spotting them. I figured that his missed shots are mostly trademark fadeaways? If he misses under the basket, it's generally because he's getting swamped by bigger players (Melmeth, etc).

Reply #10312 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

17/10/5 is a damn good stat line for a 21 year old!!

Reply #10316 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Isaac....he does get swamped by bigger players, and no one is saying that Holmes isn't worth a darn or that it is somehow easy to make a living in the key way. But while Holmes has missed his fair share of inside shots because of pressure, he has missed a number of shots around the basket that he should have made, with very little defensive pressure around him. One game is one game, but this looks to be a bit of a tendancy this season. Improving this would no doubt help his FG%.

I'm not knocking him. He is playing great basketball and the numbers he is putting up show that without doubt. But I have noticed that he has a tendancy so far this season to miss shots around the basket that are very makeable. If he could stick these, his numbers would be simply awesome.

I'm sure it will improve. Early days in the season, early days in his career.

Reply #10320 | Report this post

Kramer  
Years ago

I think Jacob has done a great job with what he has to offer! He has an intensity about him that will make him a 20 & 10 player consistently.

However, I think its an inditement on the game that Jacob can average 17 & 10! He shoots fade-aways because he isn't athletic enough to get his shot away. I saw the 36ers play last night and unfortunately Jacob got beat off the dribble every single time.

There is a lot of smoke being blown on this thread.

Reply #10323 | Report this post

Pink Panther  
Years ago

To Kent and everyone else bagging Jacob. As a 21 year old how good was Brett Maher? Was he averaging 17 and 10? I somehow don't think he was. Jacob is our best young basketball prospect by a country mile and some people have to understand you don't become a boomer overnight. He is still developing as a basketballer and will continue to do so, so lay off him!

Reply #10344 | Report this post

red dog  
Years ago

I have previously been one of Jake's critics re low % shots, poor ball handling when bringing the ball down and not passing the ball around but this season his ball handlings improved and his assists are up. He is having an impact and he is contributing..his ball handling has improved ..he will never be a 1,2 but he's a damm good 3. Yep his stats are sometimes padded when low percentage shots contribute to offensive boards but it is still better to have the team putting up shots and getting second chances. So I would say that overall jake is doing just fine. and Panther there is nothing wrong with critical discussion of Jakes performance.. in fact it was valid points and not all that critical because it was quite balanced.

Reply #10347 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

For the curious, Brett Maher averaged 13, 4 and 3 as a 21 year old. This was in a team that included Robert Rose, Mark Davis, Willie Simmons (for 2 games), Scott Ninnis, Mike McKay, Phil Smyth, etc.

Pink Panther -- I don't think they were bagging him, but just identifying one of those areas in which you agree that he's still developing.

Reply #10349 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I acknowledeged the fact that he is still youmg and learning the game...just a little frustrated that he has missed a lot of easy shots so far this year.

As for Brett i was at the first training session he was at as a sixers watched him hit 23 three's in a row in warm up and then 360 dunk on Bradtke in a 3 on 2 drill.

As for his stats his 4 th year which is what i beleive Jacob is in his numbers were

14.1 ppg 3.7apg 4.9rpg 2.2 spg

Reply #10350 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Pink Panther I don't see this as people knocking Jacob, it looks like healthy constructive criticism, Jacob is a great young player (& future boomer) but everyone has areas in their game they need to improve on.

Reply #10351 | Report this post

Raab Himself  
Years ago

I like the tone of this thread and agree with most of whats said with the exceptions of the following;

As a 6'7 small forward, is there such a thing as an 'easy' layup with guys like Melmeth breathing down your neck?

"However, I think its an inditement on the game that Jacob can average 17 & 10!"(#10323)

Are you kidding me? That post makes me want to poke out my good eye. I have never read such rubbish in my life. Here is my list of inditements on the game.

1. Brian Gorj coaching the boomers.
2. Jason Smith and CJ Bruton making the boomers team.
3. M.Catalini getting splinters in Athens.
4. Todd Gower considering himself NBL standard.
5. Posts like #10323. Utter rubbish.

For the record, people bagging Jacob for his fade-aways should try guarding it. I can tell you, i think he is now and will be one of the best exponents of the fade away the NBL is ever likely to see.

Reply #10354 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I remember when Paul Rogers sole shot was a fade away!!!

crap i am officiall getting old

Reply #10355 | Report this post

ShaneD  
Years ago

The only thing you can really criticise JH for is his very flat field shooting..... I know its probably hard to change now he's progressed so far.. but hes really gotta lift it a bit.. its too flat which decreases the chances of it hooping by (guess due to average angle) 20%.

I wonder if this is something he can work on, or if its 'too late' for him?!

ShaneD

Reply #10362 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Kent, did you say 360 dunk?

Reply #10368 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Yes Libertine.

He came down the left hand lane at Apollo, Butch fed him the ball from the top of the key and he just took off.....

I felt warm and fuzzy on the inside.

Reply #10378 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think that jacob is going well for a younger player in the NBL

Reply #10625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I LOVE JACOB he is a gun

Reply #15017 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:05 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754