Fezlington
Years ago

Rockets V Heat - Yao V Shaq

Houston wins 94 - 72

Yao 34pts, 14 reb, 2 assist in almost 38 minutes

Shaq 15pts 10 reb, 1 assist, 1 block in almost 33 minutes

Is it safe to say that Yao may now be the No1 Ctr in the NBA?

Thoughts

Topic #9368 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

IMO, yes.

Earlier this morning I listed my pet forum hates. I want to add Yao-haters to that list.

Reply #106301 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

I was a yao hater. I thought how can u be 7 foot 6 and putting up THOSE numbers.

But finally he is starting to realise his potential after all he is a 7 foot 6 guy wiht a jump shot, post moves and has some meat on him. What more can u ask for? Maybe a consistant T-mac?

Reply #106307 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I was actually going to start a thread regarding this, DC and I have had many an argument about Yao. I think the whole time I said that as it was he was crap!

I am now happy to admit that he seems to be making his mark. I saw the other day he had something like 37, 13 and 7 blocks.

DC, we can now agree that Yao is the real deal, let's just hope T-Mac steps up and they become the 1-2 punch the Rockets need.

Reply #106332 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

This is the first time in many games against each other that Yao has played better than Shaq. Not time yet to rate him as the Number 1 in anything.

Reply #106350 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Shaq's motivation might be a little less than Yao's at this stage in both their careers and judging by Shaq's appearance he has been in a good paddock enjoying what...his 4th ring?

Reply #106370 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

We can't rate him number 1 as 27.3ppg and 10rpg at 59% stand for nothing? Shaq is struggling on his way to 14ppg this season at 45%.

I don't know why everyone is only starting to finally realised what I knew last season. If you watched a game last year his talent shined, his problem was he had no shooters on his team and was getting doubled before the ball reached him with no one to kick it out to.

He is just continuing where he left off last year, leading his team to win after win. But clearly there are some people out there who just want to see the guy fail, who clearly haven't watched him play since his rookie year. Not sure why people like anon above don't want to see a Chinese guy on top. If this was Bogut averaging 27 and 10 everyone would be calling him #1. Luckily the Fox game this Wednesday is Spurs v Rockets.

Also remember that the rules are now against traditional post players in this era. A few years ago zones weren't allowed and no one could double a centre before the ball reached him like they do to Yao. To average 27ppg at almost 60% in this era is amazing.

If you want to talk about a bust from the 2002 draft talk about Jay Williams because Yao is the best centre in the game today.

Good to see you come around Bizzy. Looks like my Yao throwback jersey is going up in value.

Reply #106385 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I have to agree with you DC, Yao is the #1 centre in this league now, the baton has been passed.

That throwback is worth at least $1.50 now DC, doubled in price overnight =]

Reply #106396 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Sorry DC, but you'll be glad to know after Yao was named NBA POTW your throwback is up too $2 lol

Reply #106401 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DC, all you have to do now is find the throwback amongst all of your junk. Good luck.

I recommend hiring a commercial excavator.

Reply #106402 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

DC, Jay Williams a bust, come on, he had a bike accident and broke his pelvis or something like that...bit harsh..
Maybe Dunleavy or Tskitshitski (??)
were a better call.
Good on Yao for putting up decent numbers, but lets wait more than 6 games before anointing him the number 1 centre, watch Shaq's pride kick in next game that they match up together as well..

Reply #106410 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Yao is definately the number one center, regardless if Shaq beats him in the next match up. Playing well consistently, not just against certain teams/players ranks him higher than anyone else IMO.

I also think he has more talent than Shaq - these days Shaq is just big, he is not the athlete he used to be and never has had any finese game or shooting touch. Yao is an excellent FT shooter and can nail the outside J, he carried the Rockets when T-Mac was injured last season and has carried that form through to the start of this season.

Reply #106453 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Uwe, I agree that Shaq doesn't have a shooting touch, but to say he hasn't any finese in his game isn't fair.

Sure Shaq gets alot of his points from using his size, but what about those dropsteps and hook shots he does? Not to mention that he is a decent passer in the post.

He has solid basketball skills (apart from shooting), most of which get over looked by Shaq-haters.

Reply #106459 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

twenty four,

Perhaps I was a bit harsh on Shaq Daddy there, I do not count myself as a Shaq-hater. He does have solid foot work, just the main basis for his game is power and athletic ability which is now dwindling.

He is still a good passer, something he has developed over the years. Something Yao will develope even more.

Yao is more of a complete player these days, and doesn't shoot at a .444 clip from the line. Basically Shaq is on the decline, Yao can only get better.

Reply #106463 | Report this post

Rodney Carney  
Years ago

Yao may be better than Shaq. Shaq once was the best centre but not any more. that dosnt make Yao automatic, I still like either Amare or Howard.. prob. Howard at th. moment. hes way more versatile.

Reply #106608 | Report this post

Carney  
Years ago

My bad, Howard plays forward lol. I thought Yaos numbers on Shaq were a one off and really Shaq is wearing out but it looks like Yao pasted the Knicks with the same numbers as well.

Reply #106609 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

What's this "let's not judge him after 6 games" trash. He was a better than a 20-10 guy last year as well.

Amare gets hand fed by Nash anyway. He's averaging 12 and 6, hasn't done anything for over a year, doesn't have anywhere near the range or moves as Yao, isn't as good a free throw shooter and doesn't create open shots for his team-mates by drawing the D like Yao but apparently is better than a 27 and 10 guy in a much lowing scoring team. All Amare can do is dunk.

Meanwhile Howard is putting up 15 and 12. Nice numbers, but once again haven't seen him doing anything near as much as Yao.

Reply #106624 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

He may have been a 20-10 player last season, but he was still soft IMO and didn't use his talent to the full extent. To his credit he has started the season with a bang, and seems to have a bit of nastiness to him this year... All I said DC was don't anoint him the number 1 centre after 6 games...IMO Shaq is still the most dominant centre, just fitness is dodgy at the moment

Reply #106627 | Report this post

Rodney Carney  
Years ago

Lets see how Yao squares up against a 5 and 1 San Antonio team that has something to prove, not a 500 team that everyones posting up big numbers on. I'm still not sold on Yao... at the same time, I'm not a hater either. Yao's definitely stepped up his game lately...and its pretty good to watch. lets just wait more than 2 weeks to see if he's the real deal.

Reply #106645 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:00 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754