Stingray
Years ago

SEABL 'Only A Matter of Time!?!'

With the strength of the Australian game, I strongly beleive that the SEABL League will be gone in 4 years time if not earlier.
The league was a force in the past and for good reason but with the development of player across the country and the strength shown in State Leagues it is obvious that the talent below the NBL is not i the SEABL. Just look at the past few years in the ABA Nationals... State League teams are flying. Its also a fact that NBL players who play for Capital teams stay in their new homes for the off season as opposed to going to a SEABL team. Ie- Mick Hill, Brad Sheridan, Dave Barlow, Every 36ers Player, Paul Rodgers, Frank Drimic... i could go on.
I feel that the SEABL League is now weaker than ever, less appealing than ever and on a fast decline to become non existant and blend into the State Leagues... this would NOT be a bad thing for state basketball and thus national basketball.

Thoughts?

Topic #9373 | Report this topic

Bill  
Years ago

Here Here.

Reply #106383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it is important to continue to develop a true national clubs competition during the winter in a 'conference' split type format. It is what the game is all about.
The SEABL is the basis of this as it includes two conferences and teams from Victoria, ACT, Tasmania, South Australia and even now teams from Queensland. I think it should all be made 1 single competition, split into conferences (instead) of all these little State League competitions then joining the best at the end of the year at a weekend crap knock-out event.

It should be the best 6-8 teams from each designated area form a conference and play cross conference clashes throughout the season and then you have the conference finals, followed by cross-conference finals - followed by the national final. Best of Three series.

Also keeping the spirit of the game to be a showcase event in country towns during the winter.

Reply #106384 | Report this post

benj  
Years ago

Where is the money going to come from to do that. We used to have CBA which was SEABL & 1 other conference. SEABL has included a few SA teams - the Buffalos (composite team), Norwood, Forestville and others. It didn't work cos it was too expensive.

Reply #106392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stingray - Just look at the past few years in the ABA Nationals... State League teams are flying.

Well, I decided to take up your advice, and look at the results from the ABA Nationals the last few years to confirm your story, and noticed SEABL has totally dominated the State Leagues at the ABA Nationals!

Winners: men
2006 Geelong (SEABL)
2005 Bendigo (SEABL)
2004 Cairns
2003 Mt Gambier (SEABL)
2002 Kilsyth (SEABL)

Winners: Women
2006 Ballarat (SEABL)
2005 Ballarat (SEABL)
2004 Frankston (SEABL)
2003 Bendigo (SEABL)
2002 Kilsyth (SEABL)

That's NINE of the last ten teams that have won the ABA Nationals in 5 years coming from the SEABL. Where is this strength in the State Leagues that is "not in SEABL"?

Having said that, I don't disagree with your last paragraph, where you mention SEABL teams blending into State Leagues (already happening with Big V eg Dandenong), but I think it is more due to money reasons? The talent in SEABL (as is the money - particularly in the big country regions) is still FAR superior to the State Leagues (bar perhaps Big V) - particularly in the men. In the women's the gap is much closer.

Reply #106419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having played both comps, SA state league and SEABL.
SEABL wins hands down. In SA you get a handful of tough games from the stronger clubs and a whole stack of games the bench gets the win and u sit there waiting for the siren to go so u can head for the bar.
In SEABL u might only get a couple of games like that if ur lucky! Its a tougher and deeper comp and playing all teams 3 times instead of 2 makes it even tougher, bringing fitness and consistancy to the forefront.
Ur absolutely kidding yourself Stingray!

Reply #106445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does everyone harp on about SEABL? SEABL is simply a conference of the ABA. Sure, its a strong conference (hence the winners), but BIG V Central, Waratah and QABL are all catching up. The BIG V teams are getting stronger and stronger, simply look at Dandenong and Sandringham in both the Mens and Womens. The gaps are narrowing. The SEABL will may merge with the BIG V for one all in Vic conference of the ABA, but why do we talk like SEABL is in a league of its own when it clearly is just one conference in a national competition?

Reply #106486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon above - you answered your own question.
SEABL is the strong - DOMINANT - conference in the ABA.

What proof do you have that the other conferences are catching up? I have seen nothing to suggest that Central, Warratah or QABL are anywhere near SEABL. Using Dandenong as your Big V example is flawed, as they were SEABL till (I think) last year or this year. Sandringham are a good example however (and an even better example of horrible uniforms!). I think the better Big V teams are around the mark, but again, the talent falls considerably after those two teams and one or two others.
The biggest difference is the depth of the competition. Poor SEABL teams this year (eg Kilsyth) would have been top 2 or 3 in either Warratah or Central easily. Southern Districts (QABL champs) are actually JOINING SEABL next year, hurting the debacle that is QABL (with it's Sunstate and Southern Cross conferences) even more. The Warratah rep at ABA Nationals (Sutherland) were probably the worst team there apart from the hosts who were TERRIBLE (also Warratah). The tail end of SEABL is FAR superior to the tail end of Central (think West/Centrals), Warratah and QABL, and probably the middle rank teams of those conferences also.

Reply #106503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very true 106846... i was only defending at against those saying it wasn't stronger than the SA state leagues. Merger with the Big V would be crazy tho... taking the best players from each... then the VIC league really would be too far ahead of the rest! The way it is keeps the ABA at a better aust wide level playing field.

Reply #106505 | Report this post

Panda  
Years ago

The competition standard has gone down hill since the ABA was formed.
What has happend is that instead of having a small number of very good teams (12 deep) we have a large number of teams (not all) across the board now which may only have 5 or 6 real quality players which brings the standard of the game down. Having played in the eastern conference of the old SEABL then transition into the CBA for 9 seasons and now playing in the ABL here in SA, IMO thats your answer about standards.

Reply #106507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stingray? what a joke. how is the SEABL not going to around in 4 years when it is growing stronger? new teams making it a more national competition. go back to your own backyard in adelaide and enjoy it!

Reply #106553 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

Alot of hate. Ill stand by my comments that i strongly feel the SEABL is on the decline. There has never been less NBL players in the SEABL than the last 4 years, The Mt.Gambier P's will play SA State League, Geelong Supercats - Big V, AIS - Warratah. its falling down, my opinion.... Notice i signed my name to (att annon's...)

Reply #106988 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

Ok Stingray i apologise for not signing my name! it is your opinion and u are allowed that. i am a coach in the SEABL competition and have also coached in the ABL. I have seen both sides. The SEABL is as strong as ever and getting stronger. There is new sponsorship, and a team from Brisbane. It is very exciting from a SEABL point of view.

Reply #107210 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:04 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754