Isaac
Years ago

Derek Rucker named as Kings new CEO

From Boti today:

THE Sydney Kings this week are expected to announce 1990 NBL Most Valuable Player Derek Rucker as their new chief executive.

Rucker, who played five of his NBL seasons with the Kings' crosstown rival West Sydney, would succeed Simon Allatson.

Sydney's second import Rodney Elliott remains in the firing line following E.J. Rowland's axing after the Kings lost 81-90 in Perth on Saturday. Elliott is averaging 15.8 points and 6.1 rebounds.

The Kings are believed to have targeted former Indiana Pacer and New York Knicks guard Jamison Brewer as a potential replacement for Rowland but also are speaking with star forward Kevin Freeman. Freeman starred at Brisbane alongside Rucker, a 411-game NBL veteran who spent five years there.
The original article

Topic #9377 | Report this topic

benj  
Years ago

no wonder Rucker wasn't available for us

Reply #106394 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Busy schedule:

Monday: Kings CEO
Tuesday: Kings CEO
Wednesday: Kings CEO
Thursday: Kings CEO
Friday: Kings CEO
Saturday: Train Luke Skywalker in the Force
Sunday: Ogle Stephanie Brantz

Reply #106399 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

lol Isaac...

I think Wednesday nights are Shrek nights as well!

Reply #106408 | Report this post

philnaldo  
Years ago

I was under the assumption that Freeman would be hesitant to return to Australia due to some "issues" , is this correct?

Reply #106411 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I believed as much but perhaps they've found a way around it.

That said, it sounds like Freeman is no longer in the mix as of today.

Brewer trained with them yesterday I believe.

Reply #106415 | Report this post

philnaldo  
Years ago

Will he be signed in time for him to suit up this weekend or was he merely one of several players that they'll trial in practice?

Reply #106435 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Intresting move seeing as the Kings are also on the market to be sold. Maybe just a move to glamour the club up to a new owner.

Reply #106461 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Kent, I'm not sure how appointing a basketball player as a CEO would "glamour" the club. If I was a prospective purchaser, I'd want to see a solid executive with that type of experience.
Which begs the question, has Rucker any experience in management of large companies, or companies at all?
If not, it is a very, very questionable move.

Reply #106494 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

heres me thinking heal wanted to stick his hand in another pie

Reply #106563 | Report this post

bad boy  
Years ago

someone who knows bball great, finally not someone who does it for money just

Reply #106732 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

good move kings

Reply #106993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

good move Kings...Derek is a very smart man with very good business sense!

Reply #164782 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Anon, this thread is two years old, and Rucker has (recently) moved on from the position as I understand it. For your benefit I will imply some irony into your post.

Reply #164787 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:06 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754