ME
Years ago

MAL HEMMERLING INTERVIEW

I can not believe Paul didn't ask Mal about the true owner of the team. Yes he would of had an answer ready, but it would of been good to see him squirm.

Topic #9387 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

Seriously, what purpose would that question have served?

Get over it, accept the fact basketball in the State is in better shape and has a brighter future (off court, anyway) than what it has for a long time.

Perhaps you yearn for the days of mis management, money being blown on inane stupid things, and being slowly sucked into a black hole?

Reply #106581 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I thought he was very good tonight. It was a very interesting point he raised tonight about his thoughts on the refs. He had a lengthy discussion with Pat Tilden before the Townsville game and asked him what it was that had changed with the refs when Adelaide for the last few years have been the lowest foul count team in the league and this year are the highest while at the same time they haven't changed their style of play. I thought that summed up very well the concerns regarding the refs that I have had for a long time. It was encouraging that it came from someone who is well and truly in the know through many years involvement in basketball. I wouldn't mind betting that tomorrow night's game is going to favour the Sixers from referee calls after they stuffed up big time with the Larry Abney incident.

Reply #106586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yogee , are you sure bball is in beter shape for the future because of the sale?
Did selling all the assets assure BBall in this state of a better way forward and brighter future?
Are the juniors better off than they were when BASA held the licenses for elite bball in South Australia or do you think private enterprise is going to serve them better?
I remain a little more sceptical of the arrangements than most given privately run ventures answer to owners and BSA answered in theory to its constituent clubs.
Exactly what in BBall terms, was the benefit for the future of basketball in SA from the sale? I believe debt retirement was listed as chief amongst the need to sell off the assets but was it a prudent sale and was the price right? Seems that lots of shadows fell around exactly what,how ,when and who was involved in the sale and who etc was not.
You are absolutely right to be critical of the administration which systematically squandered their responsibilities and escaped scott free for their ineptness and why we will never know, yet I can't help but think there is a sting in the tail as yet not apparent.
Is it far fetched to think that if the 36ers went from bad to worse the franchise owner could shift the team and where I wonder would that be?
Anyway apart from stripping us of a centrepiece stadium and 2 elite teams I'm sure the clubs are better off and that the benefits are filtering, sorry flowing into the clubs at a huge rate. Is your club better off and reducing fees, slashing door prices, giving away uniforms or pictures of the sixers because of this fantastic sale of the century that has put basketball in this state in such great shape?
Whats changed, absolutely nothing!

Reply #106588 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

EC, we changed 50% of our team over the off-season. Someone else posted in another thread about how those five players ranked quite highly within the team for fouls - I think Horvath and Copeland were the highest fouling players in the team and, what do you know, new to the team.

Explains easily why the team has increased the number of fouls it commits in my opinion.

Reply #106593 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Your right Isaac, Horvath does have the highest foul count. Much of that would come from the minutes he spends on the floor. I don't think he ranks any higher to Rychart of previous seasons. As for the other new players, guess what? The old Sixers so far this season are doing just as badly. Overall verdict, not much change in foul count based on new players to the team.

Reply #106599 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

This years team are older and slower hence more fouls.

Reply #106613 | Report this post

benj  
Years ago

What I find interesting is that people think BASA ran the competition, BASA barely had time to run the competition they spend most of the time cleaning up the mess that the clubs made.

How many times did we hear people complain about programs never being available, that was because clubs were pulling teams out or adding new ones.

Clubs would advertise training (scoretable, refs etc) then they would ask BASA to arrange facilitators - after dates were set - does that sound strange to you??

Sorry but I still believe that clubs hold too much power and were in turn strangling BASA and in turn strangling 36ers & Lightning. I think now that everything is seperate everyone can get on with their own jobs and do them properly, if they dont kick them out. I think BSA needs to be strong and kicks some heads, they might lose a few "volunteers" but then the ones that actually want to advance the game rather than hinder it can come in and sort out the mess.

Reply #106638 | Report this post

Eddie  
Years ago

I bet most people don't know that Mal himself was a referee once and even reffed at the Olympics, although which one I'm not sure.

Reply #106643 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Please, no more discussion regarding speculation of Mal and Eddy's ownership split of the team and Dome.

Future comments regarding this will be removed.

Reply #106646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for you point of view Benj. # 588.

Reply #106649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

eddie

Mal was a referee but I feel you will be wrong to say he ref'd at an Olympic games

John Holden
Sid Taylor
Ray Hunt
Geoff Weeks
Billy Mildenhall
Michael Butler
Carolyn Gillespie
Scott Butler
Michael Aylen
to name a few but I'd be mightly surpised to see his name down for an olympic games.

Reply #106659 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Why will those comments be removed Issac? Have you had a phone call from someone?

Reply #106669 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Correct.

Reply #106674 | Report this post

Milk Man  
Years ago

Can they do that to you Isaac? I thought this was your site? Freedom of speech hey. Sorry to hear you are being 'hassled' No more from me!

Reply #106716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like we have another Coloniel Sanders!

Way to inspire a new franchise.

Reply #106718 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:54 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754