DrB
Years ago

Crocs recruit Rowland

Refer to nbl http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=4221

Topic #9430 | Report this topic

DrB  
Years ago

I am a little suprised by this what are other peoples view?

Reply #107134 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

article on nbl site:

Friday, November 17, 2006 - 01:38 PM
Townsville Crocodiles

The McDonald's Crocodiles ended speculation over their replacement import with the announcement that ex-Sydney King EJ Rowland has agreed to terms and conditions with the club.

The club is hopeful that Rowland will hit the court at the Swamp on Saturday night against the Wollongong Hawks.

The 23-year-old St Mary's college graduate enjoyed a stellar college career prior to coming to Australia to play in the NBL. In his senior year, he earned an Honorable Mention in the West Coast Conference, as well as playing for the Dallas Mavericks NBA summer league team earlier this year.

McDonald's Crocodiles CEO Ian Smythe said that the recruitment of a player of Rowland's caliber was a coup for the club.

"The recruitment of EJ is a coup for the club. This has been a difficult week for the Crocodiles with the release of Jelani, but the opportunity to sign EJ is a stroke of good fortune," Smythe said.

"We know EJ can hold his own in the league and we believe that under a different coach and team, he will make an impact in the NBL. While EJ's style of play hadn't suited the Kings' line up, we see EJ as a player who can compliment our existing roster and have the impact on the court. EJ's defensive efforts, his hustle play and ball distribution will be an asset to our existing roster.

"EJ is the type of player and person that the twin cities community will embrace as their own."

Head coach Trevor Gleeson was excited by the recruitment of Rowland and said that he would provide the defensive link to the team.

"We identified the need to recruit a solid defensive point guard. We need a player who can distribute the ball and get it to the other players on the court who are having a scoring impact," Gleeson said.

"Defensively EJ can offer us a lot. He will bring a defensive intensity that we haven't had, as well as speed and quickness down the floor."

"We have already played the Kings three times this season and in those games, EJ has proved hard to slow down. His overall game suits our style and I'm excited to bring him into the fold. By all reports, he has good team concepts, is very unselfish and has a great attitude."

Under the Kings, Rowland averaged 12.7ppg, 3.1apg and 2.0spg in 12 regular season games. Rowland arrives in Townsville today and will train this afternoon with the team.

Reply #107135 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not a silly move. Is available soon and a known quantity. Can play, just likely needs to be involved with the team more.

Reply #107138 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Like I posted yesterday, was a hot rumour and also Gardiner possibly to the queens....

Reply #107141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

gardiner has had some interest from a club in spain, so i would imagine thats where he will be headed

Reply #107144 | Report this post

Lockie  
Years ago

Carfino predicted this on Wednesday!!

Reply #107160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what a stupid move, the crocs obviously need a center, theyve got rice and egan at the moment for god sake, and as if this is an improvement on gardner, who was a far better passer and shooter than rowland who is more of a scoring PG, as if the crocs need another scorer alongside newley rillie and abney. when they got rid of gardner i thought it would be to give robertson more time since he was playin so well but now i see that theyre just idiots!

Reply #107279 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lets just see how it plays out
anon

Reply #107285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4rb 8as 3st 13pts and only 1to
all this with only a couple of hours with a new team as well as some much neaded defensive intensity. thats not too bad in my book, too bad all those tville people are all idiots hey anon

Reply #107338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, your an idiot!
Do you remember what happened when Robertson was given those extra minutes and started at the point for the Crocs last year?

Reply #107340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it would be pretty obvious... if youve seen any tville games this year that robertson has improved out of sight, hes like their 4th leading scorer now so... uh.. nah, i'm pretty sure your the idiot for not paying attention on whats happening THIS SEASON!!!

Reply #107403 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:52 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754