michael
Years ago

Umpires

What do you think about all of the umpires?

Topic #951 | Report this topic

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

There's at least 400 basketball umpires in Adelaide... There are a huge number of different competitions. Be a little more specific.

Who'd ever wanna be an umpire?!

Reply #10482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i really dont like playing when the umpire is t he same age as you, like in u18s

Reply #10485 | Report this post

Nathan Wieland  
Years ago

What if they're good enough to referee that age before they're that old? I was refereeing U20M1 before I was 16.

Reply #10497 | Report this post

WMCJ  
Years ago

Slightly different thoughts on Refs/Umpires. Is there any-one out there that umpires more than one sport. I know of one Ref who Umpires Football as well as Basketball.
I haven't been a referee, but have Umpired Amateur League football.
What I am getting to, is that I am not sure that the abuse of referees in Basketball is any worse than in any other sport, its just the proximity of the ref's to the spectators and coaches.
In Football, you are at usually 30 metres from the spectators and/or coaching bench, while in Basketball you'd have to be on another Court to get that far away. I am pretty sure that soccer refs would also be further away from the abuse, not only that a similar number of spectators (say 40-50 max per Junior Game) would be far more spread out around a Football Oval or Soccer Pitch.
Not trying to make excuses for Basketball crowd behaviour, just trying to find out whether anyone else feels the size of the playing arena is a valid issue.

Reply #10505 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

When I got to a football match I'm appalled at the type of abuse umpires recieve. I for one am grateful that in basketball referees are given a direct way to deal with it.

Reply #10509 | Report this post

Another Anonymous  
Years ago

The umpire in charge at Marion on a friday night referee's basketball as well as football. Someone loves their reffing :P Good work.

Although in football and soccer the referee is further away from spectators, there is far more abuse directed towards referee's in those sports compared to basketball.

I dont mind people my age reffing my games as long as they know what they're doing and umpire fairly what more can you ask for? Why should age matter? Refereeing higher games is based on the skill level of the referee. Would you like people your parents age reffing your games and having no clue, along with not being fit or quick enough to run out a whole game? As long as the 'younger' referee does not get intimidated easily by all means come out and ref as high as you can.

Reply #10517 | Report this post

hopeless  
Years ago

last time i noticed referee's were human.

they laugh, they burb, they sweat and i'm sure they even fart.

on occassions they sometimes make mistakes.

players and coaches must all be perfect. they can critise umpires for being too old, not old enough, too fat, not fat enough, too slow, too quick, too short, too tall.

are they holding the whistle correctly, have they got their hair parted on the right side, have they got new shoes!!

point is, umpires are human, there are only two (three in nbl) on any given game. sometimes due to lack of numbers because of belittling, bemoaning and in some cases totally abusive parents/players/coaches/administators there is only one.

if a referee is only 12 when they start just where do they begin to learn to ref, u10s parents will feel they are too inexperienced.

this thread could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on

and for one i think it has in various shapes and forms in different threads.

give it a bloody break!

Reply #10546 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I have reffed both basketball and cricket, both haven't had the time to pursue either (ie work taking over from cricket, same for reffing) - although I'm hoping to restart reffing bball before Christmas locally.

Reply #10552 | Report this post

derol  
Years ago

hi

Reply #55506 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

TOtally different sport but I don't think there is much abuse of officials in volleyball and they are even closer to the spectators and players. Plus they can't move around like basketbal officials can. How do they manage that?

Reply #55517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Volleyball closer to players and spectators? If you wanted to in basketball you could go up and pat the ref on the head you're that close. In volleyball you have to climb their little stand to get to them. In ABA games at places such as Hillcrest and Marion the refs have to ask spectators to move off the baseline and sometimes run into them.

Reply #55520 | Report this post

wateva  
Years ago

True or maybe dodge a few playing kids on the baseline. But atleast you can move around the court and not have to stand in the same spot all game so that one d*#k of a spectator can constantly get in your ear.

Reply #55820 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:09 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754