Round Orange Ball
Years ago

Australian Basketball is Stuffed

Ozzie basketball is stuffed for the forseeable future.

At the next World Champs the men will be lucky to be in the top 10 and the women will fall as soon as these women retire.

The reason is we have no, I mean NO development for players after they turn 18!!

Yes we have the AIS, but 14 men and women do not make for future teams. We need 50 to 80 each year being developed, then we will have the depth to climb the world ladder again.

Look at the AFL draft this year. 5 or 6 basketballers have been lost to the sport and will never play at elete level again, but AFL will enjoy their patronage.

BA, NBL, ABA and state organisations have to get together and come up with a development program for 18 to 23 year olds or the talent drain will continue.

Topic #9517 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good point and i agree.

Reply #108242 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

It will always be the case because have a look at the number of AFL teams to the number of NBL teams. Also the fact that only 12 per team get to play in the NBL compared to 22 in a AFL team. You don't have too many brain cells to realize that there are more spots available in AFL therefore easier to make a team. If you have the talent.

Reply #108244 | Report this post

Round Orange Ball  
Years ago

Whats that got to do with it!!

AFL develops its players up to the AFTER 17.

Basketball dumps them at 17, then wants them again when they are 22.

The number of temas, players or money has nothing to do with it.

Good management costs no more!

Reply #108245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

R O B,

Totally agree from what I have seen here over the past many years. If your child ever makes SASI, once 17 they are gone from that extra training and left to their Clubs to develop. Seems Bball loses a lot of players from U18 to U20 for many reasons and some I am sure is a lack of guidance, lack of support and lack of opportunity to KEEP growing and developing while being challenged. Talking to a lot of players across many clubs, NO club seems to have a dedicated AND continuing programme of sorts for their more talented players aged 17+. UNless the player pesters coaches for individuals seems noone offers them.

The basketabll Academy only goes a little way towards this in SA but a lot more players would develop better from this training as well. Seems our NBL and WNBL coaches do very little offering services to players on this up and coming list of "potentials" where in my opinion they should be.

I shall reflect more over a Chivas on the rocks in the meantime.

Reply #108246 | Report this post

Round Orange Ball  
Years ago

Basketball in Oz is where AFL was in the 70's and Soccer was 3 years ago.

NBL is near bankrupt, BA is near bankrupt SA was bankrupt last year, how many other state organisisations are near bankrupt?

When will each organisation stop protecting is own turf and start co-operating to better the sport, its players and its offficials?

Soccer was the same, too many organisations fighting over turf for the sport to progress, now look at it!

One only has to see what Newley and Ingles have done to get the public interested in the sport.

As long as players go to other sports at 17, basketball will not progress!!

Reply #108247 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

If you talk to some of the AFL coaches which I have have. They will tell you straight. If they have a player that has come through basketball only program or a player that has come thought a football only program. They'll pick the basketballer every time because we teach coordination better then football. All they have to do then is teach how to kick and handball and that is easy for them. You on the other hand have some other agenda with basketball I think. If so thats fine but don't compare the two sports when you obviously have not spoken to any AFL coaches on the subject and have no idea. Most of players play both until that age anyway. It is about 17 when they make up there mind of which sport to do. They go for the easier option. Wouldn't you if you had a choice? If you are talking the promotion if the sport of basketball, then yes I do agree with you that. I don't agree with comparing the two sports at the top level as you did in your first post. As I have been involved with both.

Reply #108248 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

may be for woman needs lighting group to support junior group and have a sqad.after sasi where do they go back to there clubs and if they being along.

Reply #108261 | Report this post

Cynical  
Years ago

???

Reply #108271 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I dont know about the mens side, but there are plenty of women juniors who are good to come through.

Cayla Francis is another one who readily springs to mind who should go on when the time is right.

Abbey Bishop, Rebecca Duke are 2 I saw last night who should go on to Opals duties in their time. Girls like Erin Phillips, Penny Taylor, even LJ have plenty of years to go.

I have no experience with basketball, but I have been involved with other organisations where we deal with juniors moving on to a senior type system, and we tended to lose them as well.

Extra pressures of study at Uni, now turning 18 so can have more of a social life, and just generally enjoying their adult-hood, and being burnt out from the sport/organisation after 6-8 years are all generally reasons that I experienced.

Reply #108273 | Report this post

stef#4  
Years ago

well as ive said b4 some teams in vic eg. Melb tigers have the right system the club has an nbl team that way once players get 2 under 20's and after they train with the nbl team if they are good enough.that way players are still improvin at their prime age

Reply #108285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Melbourne tigers have not produced an NBL talented player since Ray Gordon and Andrew Gaze played juniors.

All of ther NBL players were developed elsewhere.

common stef#4. Name one.

Reply #108306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corletto
Crosswell

Reply #108398 | Report this post

Coach  
Years ago

Once players have finished their Under 18 representation, arent there quite a lot that continue to develop their game with the Academy squad, ABA teams, the American college system or straight to the NBL. Surely to say Basketball Australia is stuffed is a bit tough. I think the future for Australian basketball is extremely strong.Look at the strong numbers in the NCAA, and in Europe!

Reply #108401 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

IMHO, it would be FAR more beneficial to have players 18-22 go to college in the US, rather than play locally.

I can never understand why they don't take the opportunity when they get it.

The get a degree, a professionally run basketball program, decent development opportunities and the easiest path (if you're good enough) to the NBA.

On top of that, the Boomers program would have to benefit from this sort of learning.

Maybe someone can enlighten me as to WHY players would choose NBL over College.

Reply #108426 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Dicko, four years of earnings, stay close to your family, maybe come into an NBL team at the right time to get opportunities, etc. Not a terrible path for some players - Newley for one. How many players took the college road and really haven't ended up all that better off because of it?

Reply #108428 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

1 problem that I believe should be addressed is the AIS.

Girls in particular are taken to young. In many cases they are to young to handle being taken away from their family, the majority do poorly at school once they're at the AIS and since there is no money in the sport parents have real concerns regarding this, mental and emotional maturity is necessary when there is the absence of parental guidance.

Also, with returning scholarship holders this means there is only about 5 maybe 6 places available each year. The AIS have always espoused that not always the best players get picked. In some states the coaching is very good and they (AIS) believe these players will get the necessary coaching. Which is fine, but what happens after they junior years. Nothing. Also, there is a definate advantage after graduating. A NBL or WNBL coach will look at graduating AIS players every time before ever looking at their local ABA comps. So where does this leave the vast talent pool that didn't get a AIS scholarship. Especially girls, most end up just playing club B/Ball and not bothering.

It's to hard to do anything else, there is usually Uni, part time jobs etc. They don't have the resources to keep training at the level to be successful.

I don't know what the answer is but I do know we are wasting talent. It makes sense to me, If only 12 players national get a chance at the AIS in any one year and these are the B/Ballers looked at to play at our elite level, then where does that leave the rest. Retired.

Reply #108439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Observer - this pretty well applies to the men also. Basketball consumes these kids 110% during their teen years and for the most forgets they even exist once they turn seniors. The limited positions available to continue receiving any sort of training eg AIS don't provide enough opportunites and once again, when there are say at least 10 kids that could fill every vacancy and achieve given the chance, coach favourism reigns supreme. As for college, all is good if firstly, you can afford to be there, scholarship at all, you still need some family support, secondly, all is good if you don't get injured from the demands - get injured, get forgotten pretty quick and thirdly, all that constitutes major burnout and lack of passion. Not saying this for all, but have seen it too many times.
The best option is to continue developing players for longer than under 18's. There are just so many players out there, who with the rare chance to train at a high level and some individuals would be putting enormous pressure on for positions and in most cases, these are players who are not always the high end stat players, but good reliable smart players, who just needed basketball hierarchy to keep the devlopment happening.

Reply #108543 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:46 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754