Sector 7G
Years ago

Their Vs There

Just by way of clarification...

"Their" means that which belongs to them.

"There" is used as in 'over there'

It's not hard.

I hate to be a nark but if posters would like readers to take THEIR postings seriously a little bit of attention to simple spelling might help.

Topic #9520 | Report this topic

DJ  
Years ago

You are right BUT it is pretty easy to understand such things, and considering the internet has really never been about spelling anything correctly and constant shortcuts, abbreviations does it matter that much?

Reply #108266 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

'of' instead of 'have' is my pet hate. Im sure schools must teach it that way these days.

Reply #108268 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

DJ how is that a shortcut chief? They are both five letter words. I'm guessing you are one of those who failed English and is upsetting Sector 7G.

Yes we can argue 4 shortcuts (using "4" instead of "for" as an example of a legitimate "shortcut", but still is poor English), but that is just poor English. So before you post please check your English before Sector 7G slits his wrists.

Reply #108277 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Haha ITA, I'm not saying that there and their is a shotcut, my point is that the internet is all about shortcuts and misspelling of words like you mentioned b4.

My point is that most people can understand a post that includes such shortcuts, surely they can also understand if there is used when their should have been used.

To be honest I am ruthless at spelling, but give free reign to the internet because it's the nature of the whole thing.

Offline is another story and any spelling error gets to me. I guess as the next generation comes through more and more of these internet ways will become apparent in the 'offline' world too.

Reply #108283 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

DJ, I wouldn't be encouraging bad spelling because on the internet people understand it. Young people spend a lot of time on the internet, and bad spelling flows THROUGH (this is another word worth clearing up about spelling) to other forms of correspondence such as a resume. Believe me it doesn't make a person look too intelligent when a potential employer reads a resume full of spelling errors.

An example of the word THROUGH is "she was walking through the house".

An example of THREW is "he threw the ball over the fence".

Shortcuts have nothing to do with these examples.

Reply #108293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Darn - I seem to have stumbled onto the grammar forum - I wanted basketball.....

Reply #108307 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I think it is laziness and the SMS generation.

Some of the kids these days will pump out 51 messages a minutes. I need to read the message four or 5 times to understand it. By the time I un derstand it the kid has gone to bed and turned the phone off. I guess it is a form of encryption.

It takes me about 4 minutes to do each message and then there is the spell check!

Reply #108314 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The homonyms are the ones that get me if I'm typing something while distracted.

Reply #108326 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

What hope do we need when orivate schools are now issuing year 7 students a laptop as part of the "stationery" pack...and the talk is public schools will be doing it within 5 years.

Life does not come with a F7 key....spelling should still be a key requirement in school.

Perhaps Microsoft could be making an academic version of its programs without a spell check to force kids to spell correctly.

Reply #108327 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

Can someone explain to me the rule on "were" & "where"?

Sounds stupid but I cant remember which one should be used in what context.

Yes I must have been mucking around in school that day (was obviously the same day they did long division)

Reply #108343 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

I'm just glad the torture of Brad's posting has ended ... any other poor spelling is irrelevant next to his ...

Reply #108347 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

We were having such a good time. Where on earth were we?

Reply #108358 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Well, we're here on Hoops SA where some people get confused as to where they need to wear their hearts on their sleeves. ;) They're probably even more confused than they were before. Who would have thought?

Reply #108359 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

This site is sooo edukashinal.

Thanks Dana, I will cut and paste onto my work computer.

Reply #108364 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Just playing Magpie. *grin*

Reply #108370 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

She ATE EIGHT cherries and then THREW the stones THROUGH the window into THEIR own garden as THERE was a garbage bin just underneath.

This is enough for now, even I am getting sick of going back to school.

Reply #108374 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

If I were to believe you Dana, where would it leave me?

Reply #108381 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

lol @ Isaac

have to pay that one!

Reply #108386 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Chikka, the floor is yours...

Reply #108517 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

EC - shortcut for through is thru I use it all the time - online only of course

Reply #108529 | Report this post

RG  
Years ago

It might be good if (quite) a few people on this forum learned how to spell definitely (vs definately!!). Just remember that "finite" is the root - it's not hard and could be useful in the real world!!!

Reply #108570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think that the thread title should be changed to Their Vs There Vs They're. Poor they're seems to have been forgotton in all the policing of grammar!

Reply #108572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"orivate"???

Looks like Yogee doesnt come with an F7 key either!

Reply #108573 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

'orivate' is from the Latin meaning to spell correctly or type slowly.........

Reply #108574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about practice v practise. Perhaps this is why we have a problem with our juniors..They don't practise enough at practice.

Reply #108575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some our playing Defence instead of Defense.

Reply #108577 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

WHOOOOOO CARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRES, what i find more annoying than spelling is people that whinge about the tinyest little things that should make no different to THEIR lives.

Reply #108581 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

WHOOOOOO CARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRES, what i find more annoying than spelling is people that whinge about the tinyest little things that should make no difference to THEIR lives.

Reply #108582 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Damn i pressed the stop button as fast as i could!

Reply #108583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tiniest!!!! In fact I think that nearly everything that people "whinge" about on this forum makes no difference to their lives. Or is that "which people" not "that people"

Reply #108591 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Hi guy, try thai high pie.

Get over it people, this is the internet you dont need spelling or grammar, its the content.

Reply #108721 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

ooops..BTW credit to Lano and Woodley, for the above.

Reply #108722 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:01 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754