Rueben
Years ago

Funny NBL Allstar Game Thread

The world time held onto a 2 point victory, with Anstey missing a three on the buzzer from the corner.

Rashad Tucker MVP - what the?

Glenn Manton MC's the night and considering the small crowd, did not a bad job (aside from messing up Farley's name, and also the winner of the dunk contest).

Topic #9522 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rashad was awesome early, I thought it was just because Jingles was guarding him, but they switched defenders on him and he still kept powering down through the middle.
Cannot find the stats, but it must have been close to a triple double.

Reply #108280 | Report this post

Rueben  
Years ago

time = team. whoops.
MC's = MC'd. i'll proof read my posts before hitting 'post' next time.

Reply #108281 | Report this post

smooth pockets  
Years ago

Game was OK.

Dunk contest was a shambles. Did anyone really know what was going on? Carfino certainly didn't and he was supposedly MCing it. I wonder if there was anyone who put together any sort of programme for the event. It was crap that we had to wait 15min in between rounds 2 and 3 of the dunk contest until Foxtel went live.

Whole night couldve been saved by a 3 point shootout. The shootout is more entertaining than the dunk conest in my opinion. I guess the NBL didnt want to fork out to fly 5 shooters in. Honestly how hard can it be?

The taipans mascot did provide some entertaining moments however.

Reply #108282 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Has anyone actually seen a three point shoot out? A bunch of guys taking 30 shots and making 15, if they're lucky. Not that exciting.

The dunk contest was actually pretty good. Powell was awesome, Carter did well for a little guy, that Broome guy was good, Frank threw down some powerful dunks and Farley was OK.

Rueben, I think Manton did that on purpose, because he followed it up with 'OR DID HE...' and than went to Steve.

Reply #108286 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

only giving the dunkers one chance to make the dunk only limted what they could do

Reply #108287 | Report this post

The Worm  
Years ago

I think Larry Abneys 3 dunks in the first quarter were worth the price of admission alone!

The monster after Farley saved the ball on the baseline probably covered it!

Reply #108288 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

And just to my post above, I have to say that I was quite embarrassed with what some of the fans were saying to Fisher for not playing Cat.

Cattalini had played a double OT game on Wednesday (scoring 51), then backed up last night, then flew here, and on top of that wasn't feeling well, you don't think maybe he needed a rest?

When he turned to the crowd after they were chanting for him and shook his head, as if to say 'Nah, I'm not playing anymore tonight' I would've though that people would realize that it was Cat's decision not to play, not Fisher's.

Calling Fisher a 'tool' and calling him worthless and the like is just not on, especially when you clearly don't know what your talking about.

Reply #108290 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Guess what twenty four? I appreciated the respect shown to Cat to rest him after his schedule of the last few days, but Mackinnon and Bruton's schedule was exactly the same. I also appreciated the respect shown to Horvath for not playing him too much due to the foot problems he has had.

Reply #108294 | Report this post

Richmond Oilers  
Years ago

dnt kno what the hell that idiot was talkn bout wen he sed tucker didnt deserve the MVP. he almost got a tripple double. in the all-star game. with the best players. i dnt think u could even consider realise the numbers RT threw up 2nyt. Antstey would of come close if he hit that 3 at the end.

i kno numbers rnt everything, but he had an excellent game.

Reply #108297 | Report this post

M Dizzle  
Years ago

19 points, 10 boards, 8 assists for Rashard on the winning team....There's your MVP

Reply #108299 | Report this post

4 da fans  
Years ago

Newley was awesome, Anstey was selfish (as always), DMac kept throwing it away and Willie was all class, other than a few missed free throws down the stretch.
What type of 7 footer catches the ball with a full head of steam on the break after ONE pass and jacks it up - Anstey.
Abney finished with a dunk (on people) almost every time he caught it. He's real tough.
Redhage - token white-man blue collar worker - does everything right without any flashy stuff.
A pretty impressive evening, totally pleased that I went.
Powell was brilliant through the dunk contest - pure power.
Good to see Swoosh Mike McKay back on court as a judge!!!
Well done Adelaide, U2, Pearl Jam and the All-Star game all in a week. Keep it up.

Reply #108303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Box score shows for Tucker

21 points, 10 rebounds, 9 assists, 4 steals

Definitely deserved the MVP

Reply #108311 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

My thoughts on the night:

Crowd - I estimated 5,100. It was 5,124. I wish there was some payback for this talent!

Fox - delays to match up live action with the live broadcast kill the momentum, confuse the crowd and just drag things down a notch. Loved that boom camera though.

Cosima - good singer, just not really of interest to the majority of basketball fans. Why not pay extra and get the Hill Top Hoods, a local act, in. You can guarantee there'd be more overlap in the fan groups and every seat in the Dome would've been sold if there was a Hoods preview before the game and then show following it. Extra 2,400 ticket sales is $40k+.

Dunk comp - I wanted to see Casey Frank up against Powell or maybe Broom because they might've been more inventive. Farley is a game dunker, not a show dunker. Powell is a power dunker who took fairly safe options.

Lack of Three Point Shoot Out - cost would not be an issue - they could pick a line-up from who was there already: Farley or Maher, Newley, Cattalini, Ronaldson, Bruton, etc.

MVP - Tucker had 21 points, 13 rebounds, 9 assists, 4 steals. Deserved it for only taking one three. The Australian team should've been disqualified for jacking up 46 threes in an ASG.

The game - Abney was probably the most entertaining to watch and Tucker deserves credit for making a lot happen on transition. For the Aussies, how good is Newley? Definitely not shit, hey (you know who you are)? Anyone else notice the scoreboard being doctored to artificially make the Aussies a chance at the end?

Mascot - Did a great job. Lots of characters and tricks.

Reply #108312 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

over all a good nite, the snake provided some great entertainment value, makes me wonder where sam dunk is, also thought Glen Manton did a great job working the crowd

Reply #108317 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

I loved how when Cosima came on everyone got up to get food and drinks.

Reply #108318 | Report this post

ritz  
Years ago

that cosima didn't get a good reception when they announced her to sing the anthem... i was 3 rows from the front & all i could here was orrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhh....... i pissed myself laughing cause i did it too...poor girl..

Reply #108320 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

A top night. The snake was great value, filling in all the gaps. Perhaps the Seals could invent a mascot/charater for Sixer games.

Reply #108323 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

The dancing girls got more cheers than Cosima when they came out

Reply #108324 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Heard that the snake travels with an assistant and brought down 60kg of gear (outfits, props, etc). Worth the effort though.

Reply #108325 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Yeah snake was good, the girls were good, the fox coverage really broke the flow though. The game was fun to watch it was just a little weird as its hard to no who to really cheer and i think that stalled some of the crowd participation. Also the lack of a real All Star culture may have something to do with this, Did anyone see the guy with the basketball on his head run down near the snake, i thought that it would be cool if we had some more people like that ie when the uni games were on, maybe a comp or insentive to dress up in groups? all over a good night.

Reply #108328 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Two things about that game reminded me of the sixers.

1. The lack of defense.

2. The lack of ability to get Horvath the ball when he was on

:P

Other then that I thought the crowd could have worked out that Cat didn't want to come on either because his nursing an injury or he was resting.

Also it was quite funny to see Powell's reaction when he heard he lost the dunk comp, only to be then told that he had actually won it :P

I ended up seeing Casey Frank in town he seems like a decent guy. However, I also saw Redhage he seems like he is up him self! either that or he is sick of drunken people saying hello to him :P I think it was a bit of both.

Reply #108330 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

With regards to Cat and Horvath, If they are seriously nursing an injury then they shouldnt have to play. For them not to play and then be out for their next team game is ridiculous. I know why this rule is in place, but we could have had another 2 players out their last night that were able to play.
That and I really wanted to see cat on Adelaide turf again not playing for someone else.

Reply #108335 | Report this post

Firstly I must say the nite was well worth the $60 for a family of four, loved it. Lack of defence? Who cares; give me the type of power game we saw last night any nite of the week.

The Snake was good, very good, but give me the Croc at his peak any day.

To Twenty Four, I will call Fischer a tool any day of the week he walks into the Dome.

As far as I can remember, and I have only been a season ticket holder since the Power House opened, there are only 2 players that have turned and gave the Power House/ Dome crowd the finger & they are Heal & Fischer.

The only excuse I need to boo or heckle either of them is if they bring thier butt craggy fetures into the Dome. Cornsey should try to stand next to these 2 as often as he can!

Also whats the deal with injured players sitting on the bench anyway (Cattalini)? Yeah, I know the rules about missing the All-Star game, you miss the next round, but lets face it; If you have any type of injury and are sitting your butt on the bench because of it, whats the point of being there?

Its called the All-Star game, not nurse your butt on the bench game.

Lets have game fit All-Stars on the bench.

I can see injured players warming the bench at the Dome every home game.

Reply #108342 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

I was a little disappointed in how the regular voice-over guy was encouraging us to all cheer for the aussies and make noise during world free throws.
This is in Adelaide, with the only two adelaide players in world colours - how bout supporting the REAL locals. Encourage support of both teams (eg. who's here to support the aussies? and who's here to support the worlds?)
This is supposed to be a fun showcase of the best in the game, and to take sides like this is a little disrespectful to the imports IMHO.

Reply #108346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was boring

Reply #108353 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Melvin, I agree about the two 36ers being on the WT. I cheered both teams when they did something good. I found the whole evening was good fun, but I thought the tools boo-ing for many of the players, specially Abney, sounded dumb in this context. It's a bit like paying to go to a concert and then boo-ing when the entertainers you paid to see come out on stage.
We got the allstar game in Adelaide after a decade or so, and most of us were there to watch an entertaining game of basketball, and most of us would like it here again.
I was, however, VERY pleased to see Fisher get beaten (even if only as a coach. Joey Wright would have been pleased.).
I think Farley's dunks were more creative than Powell's, just a shame he missed. That kid with the photo is a hero to his friends and is sure to remember that for a long time. It would be interesting to see his photo. Great to see Willy getting kids involved like that.
All in all, a good fun night.

Reply #108355 | Report this post

I thought newley shot way too much. oh and he only passes when there's an assist oppurtunity. he's the biggest stat padder out there.

(hmm... turns out he shot over 50% from the field. didn't seem like that during the game)

Why wasn't abney in the dunk comp? Why did farley jump past the props and not over them? can he even do a 2 hander?

Other than that, it was a pretty good night... the mascot was good. I thought it got a bit boring in the 3rd, but the 4th was good. The 1st quarter was definitely exciting. Ingles was quiet too

oh, and no paul rogers next year please. he didn't seem to realise it's an exhibition game (i.e you don't need to set bone crunching picks on everyone)

Reply #108356 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

you could really play the game without center to make the game faster and increase the chance of ally's or fast break dunks.

Reply #108361 | Report this post

#108355, Dana, I think you are wrong on the Abney booing thing at the start of the game.

His 1st game back in Adelaide only a few weeks after being part of the most sickening injury we have seen at the Dome; yeah, you can bet he was ready to be booed.

I booed my lungs out at him when they 1st called out his name. A couple of mins later I was cheering him for that 1st dunk he did. Thats an All-Star game for you.I think he got off lightly.

Abney cant expect to come into the Dome and have us forget about it. Enough people on the court and the bench that night forgot about it far to quick. Wait until he comes back next time, and the next.....

Melvin #108346, I couldnt agree more. My family was always going to go for the world, not because we are not true Aussies, but as you said, we wanted to support the guys that play for us every week. If we had a 6er on the aussie team, it would have been an interesting problem, but as it was it was a no brainer for us. I was happy to cheer on Sutts, Ingles and Cat, but no way am I going to ever cheer on Fischer & Rodgers.

Reply #108362 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

When the kid with the picture of Farley on his phone came back into the crowd all his mates were checking out his phone, then one of the kids turns to another kid in the group hyper-excited and says "Let's make sure one of us gets a picture of the cheerleaders".

Reply #108363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dana whats the point of 'creative' dunks if you jump alongside the things??

Reply #108369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abney even laughed when people started booing him. He knew it was coming :P

Reply #108373 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I really enjoyed the night. I went to the Melbourne All-Star game and it was not even half as entertaining.

However....

They can improve the night DRAMATICALLY by introducing a 3pt shootout! I don't care what people say 3pt shootouts are great atmosphere!!

Allow the dunkers 30 sec to get their dunk to throw down NOT 1 and out!?! And for anyone who also attended the Melbourne All star game if you can remember the 1/2 time entertainment of the acrobatic short dunkers will know the sort of atmosphere those guys brought!!

8/10 for the night with a great finish!

Reply #108404 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The whole World team laughed when Abney got booed.

Before the game, Abney went and asked Brad Hill how he was going. Bit token, but better than nothing.

Reply #108409 | Report this post

Kingman  
Years ago

I noticed Larry Abney go up to Brad Hill in the crowd, said something to him and shook his hand before the game. Adelaide fans won't forgive him but thats Adelaide fans!!!

Reply #108416 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Oh no don't mention the half time entertainment Kriss. The Scream Team - from Queensland, great act but I've seen them probably 20+ times and whilst its good the first 3 or 4 times after that it is a bit repetative. But yeah it's times like an All-Star game that they should be used!

Reply #108419 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

What I mean by 'creative' is that he tried to do something a bit differenet, but it didn't work out in the end. I guess he could have taken the safe option, but he was trying to entertain.

Reply #108425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

at least it was not that fake latin drumming and dancing thing from the other week, that was the worst thing they have ever put out as entertainment.

Reply #108430 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Was this the first 'Australian' team in years not to have a Sydney King involved? In fact, it was such a shame not to have one single King involved in the whole night.
A deliberete move by boy gorg?

Reply #108494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

because there was no sydney kings involved...that pretty much means there was no boomers involved too. i can only think of newley straight of the top of my head.

Reply #108534 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Bruton and Mackinnon too. Anstey as well were he not injured.

Reply #108592 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Dana, we didn't ask for Abney to come along. I was mainly supporting the World Team due to the fact 2 of our players were in that team but unfortunately we had to put up with one rotten apple in the cart. I cheered everyone on both teams except for Abney no matter how impressive he was.

Reply #108826 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:10 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754