Years ago

Mark Nash - Stats tell the story

Adelaide
Games:15
FG%:31
3PT%:23%
FT%:40%
PPG:3

Why are we persisting with Nashy (Yes he's a top bloke and all...) BUT......Why did we let Jacob Holmes go when last year he shot 14ppg @ 38% and pulls down just as many rebounds as Nashy???

Why are we persisting with someone who is prone to back-related injuries???

Sorry, but the stats tell the story, if we held onto Jacob Holmes, our season would be looking a little stronger one would think.....

Topic #9539 | Report this topic

Corey  
Years ago

Further to this.........I am NOT saying our entire season would be a total turnaround based on one player, but who is making these decisions???

Reply #108530 | Report this post

billups1  
Years ago

Ey Corey the situation for the club was tough at that time, we had no owner and the club was at risk of not playing this season, Jacob Holmes and Oscar Forman wanted securityand at that time when they were asking we couldnt put up a strong offer beacuse we didnt even know if we were goin to be bought. We didnt just let him go beacuse we thought he wasnt good, why do you think we have a team like this years? not beacuse they think this is a championsho[ winning team, but beacuse it was the best the 36ers could muster in a few months time, i wont be surprised next year if at least 4 players are dropped out of the squad, i wont name them beacuse it will cause much fiery debate among this forum and i dont want any negativity shown towards players even though i realise everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Reply #108532 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Fair enough Billups, but by looking at his stats over the years (not only this one), I thought he would be one of the first to be delisted after fairly "ordinary" stats???

I understand the security issue with Holmes and Forman but I would have thought they weren't earning much different to Nash, therefore if Nash was dropped, we would have been in a better position to maintain the services of Holmes at least

Reply #108533 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

not defending nash, but i think you will find jacob and oscar were on nearly double what he is on, i think somewhere i read hes on not much more then minimum,

could be wrong though

Reply #108536 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Oh ok, that would make sense then Thomo....

One would think this year might be his last chance if he doesn't significantly improve his stats....

Reply #108538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget kiddies, Nash is signed for next year as well!

Reply #108540 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

He may well be signed for next year; however with next season being the 1st season in which the new management will have an imput into the roster, I would say its a fair bet Nash's career will not include Adelaide.

Reply #108580 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Nash is by all accounts a gem of a bloke and if he is on bikkies then he is a great asset to the team and club , it is not his fault he is been misused for the past few years.
I bag him as do alot of fans because quite simply he is good for about 4-5 minute bursts while we have our strongest playmakers , scorers on the court .
If Nashy knows he has 4 minutes to get up em on D , hussle , create deflections , shut his man down , board up , communicate and occasionally pop the open 3 ball then i am pretty sure a sense of purpose would be instilled in the man and he would probably come off to a standing O a couple of times a game .
If he is knackered after 2 or 3 minutes , give him a quick rest and go again .
His only shots should be put backs and open threes , those fade away mid range J's are a waste of time we have farley and maher to shoot them.
I am also sure if guys saw the affable , reserved nashy fire up they would follow . they may have a look of disbelief at first but they will catch on .
C'mon Nashy FIRE UP son .

Reply #108589 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

hahaha a standing O a couple of times a game.
The standing O would be for the coaching staff

Reply #108596 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Mark Nash's time was up a couple of years ago. I don't like bagging the guy because, as everyone says, he is a really nice guy. But enough is enough. Contract or no contract, he has to retire for everyone's benefit.

Reply #108601 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

The one thing people forget is - defence doesnt show in a box score!

Reply #108635 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

yes it does yogee. Steals, blocks, defensive rebounds, and direct opponents stats.

Reply #108637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

beat me to it lockstock! stats of the opposition!

Reply #108640 | Report this post

So it's nash's fault if he helps out on a man that say, darren ng is guarding, and ng doesn't rotate and his player passes it to nash's man for an easy 2? Or farley doesn't box out, and Nash is left to try and box out 2 guys? The boxscore doesn't show how nash might have stopped a potential layup oppurtunity by playing hard split line defense. Steals and blocks aren't everything

Reply #108646 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

you're right ELG, but the same can be said of every aspect of basketball. There will always be areas that the stats don't pick up.
Anyone who has watched the Sixers this year and argues that Nash has been worth his minutes is in lala land. I don't dislike him, and do wish he was being more productive, but he isn't, and in a league where people like me and every other supporter do a large part in paying his salary (in terms of if there weren't supporters they wouldn't be paid), he's got to be open to criticism.
Most players at that level do those little things such as help D and boxing out, it's almost a given (and if they're not blame the coach). The bottom line is if you're not scoring or rebounding or blocking shots or finding teammates for buckets etc ect you are not getting the job done.

Reply #108651 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

How did Corey get a copy of NEXT years stats?

Reply #108665 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Nash isn't the defensive player he used to be. I'm over that excuse for him keeping his spot in the team. He isn't close to one of the premier defensive players in the comp any more. And with virtually no offensive game anymore, he needs to be better defensively than he is.

Reply #108669 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Dribbler, have a look on the NBL site.......they are listing the 2006/07 season as 2007........

Reply #108679 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

i definetly agree hes not part of the future, and prob should have retired this season BUT if your offered money allbeit minimum to play why not take it,

im the worst player in the world but if i was offered minimum to play i wouldnt be saying no

Reply #108711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nashy ain't on the minimum.

Reply #108714 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

thomo

You can't be the worst player, James Pennington has that honour.

Reply #108734 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Greetings all from la la land. Weather is great!!!!!

Reply #108749 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

sturty im bad believe me, my dogs anus has more chance at a basketball career then me

Reply #108840 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:36 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754