Anonymous
Years ago

rumour - Smyth to brisbane next year

when you keep hearing bits and pieces you start to wonder if its on the cards.....

Topic #9550 | Report this topic

Doctor E  
Years ago

I've long thought this would happen one day. I've not heard any rumours. It's just a logical fit.

Reply #108632 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Why?

Brisbane are top and playing well. Looking very tough both home and away.

Adelaide are sucking the proverbial balls and are looking tired and slow. What motivation would Brisbane have in getting Smyth on board?

Reply #108639 | Report this post

tony Blair  
Years ago

I've heard two very strong rumours that refuse to go away

1.Smyth & Brehney to Gold Coast

2 where ever Stacker signs on as coach next year Newley will sign too.

Reply #108641 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Maybe they want him because he is one of if not the best coach in the league - His record speaks for itself. We must retain him , its that simple

Reply #108642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pure Silk - initials PS - mmmm, I wonder? - only Phil himself (plus maybe yogee) would write talk Phil up as much as that!

Reply #108644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

...if allowed to cheat the salary cap.

Reply #108645 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Pure Silk is not Phil Smyth, I will tell you that.

There are persuasive arguments for and against Smyth, many will agree with that. That's why it's always such a heavily discussed topic! And that's why there will be such strong opinions for and against as well.

Reply #108647 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Cant see him In Brissy next year.....but about an hour South would seem a logical fit if the new team is looking for a high profile coach.

Would Smyth want to be a public figurehead for a team though or does he prefer to sit back and not have to do publicity?

Reply #108648 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Brissy does seem a good fit.

Unless Joey wins it all this year he has been the most disappointing coach in the league during his tenure. The Bullets have been stacked every year during his reign and have not yet won a title.
No matter what you think of Phil as a coach, he has the ability to make players believe and take them to the championship level.

I think it would be a mistake to get rid of Phil but his boss might not fire him, but just move him to his other operation.

Reply #108650 | Report this post

Fairy Tale  
Years ago

Being high profile is an important part of Phil's technique to win public support. The media loves Phil and Phil (pretends to?) loves them.

The media can be useful when you need to create a comical/light hearted/"she'll be right mate" diversion in an attempt to hide the truth.

Reply #108652 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Is this a serious option?? i thought Smyth was contracted to the 36ers, i heard him say it himself on the news, but i think he would be a great fit for the current Bullets squad how ever, so if it did happen he would be great for them, as the Bullets have experience, athleticism and would flourish in a fast moving, free flowing high scoring game that Smyth brings.
I do how ever think he would be a HUGE loss for the 36ers, alot of people do bag him out, but i think he is a good coach, his record of 3 titles in 9 seasons is basically un paralleled in the NBL, like Goorj has more titles but has been coaching for 20odd years. sure they are not having the best season this year, and with the crap hes had to put up with at the club over the past 3 or so years i couldnt blame him if his enthhusiasm waned abit over that time, aslong as he has got it back and is willing to work his but off to rebuild the team for the rest of this season and the up coming off season i say we keep him!! He is also a very reasonable man with his coaching, i would much rather play for a guy like Phil than a ranter and a raver like a Goorjian. I say give Phil atleast one more season and see what he can do with the new structure of the club. Like does anyone think Kevin Sheedy cant coach cos Essendon slid down the ladder in the AFL, no there is no doubt on his abaility, and i say the same applys for Smyth, and its nice to win every year but in reality its never going to happen, look at basically every sport in the country and around the world all the teams who were up the top at the time of the 36ers championships have slid down abit at atleast some stage, look at the kangaroos and Essendon in the AFL for an example, its how you respond and if you are able to bring them back up which is the question, whether Smyth can do that who knows, but id like to see Hemmerling give him a shot at it and give him a decent amount of $$$ to recruit wiht so he doesnt have to sign the left overs and lose any other key players

Reply #108658 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Brisbane may not seem quite as good a fit right now but over the last couple of years Brisbane have really had a reputation as the great underachiever while Adelaide pretty much the opposite. Some might disagree with that but Smyth has built a reputation as someone who has got the most out of his players, particularly established players. Of course, if Wright takes the Bullets to the Title or even to the Grand Final then he seems far safer. But up until this season Wright must have been on very thin ice.

Reply #108667 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

anon - why dont you grow some balls and put your name to your post, or come and see me face to face?

the most positive i have ever been re this season is i said i would pass judgement when the season was over.

i have also quite clearly stated i can see pros and cons in keeping phil.

Reply #108670 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Jonno

Sheedy vs Smyth not a good argument.

Sheedy had a very good team and a few key injuries saw the team plummet to the bottom. The coach then decided to give some youngsters a try some successful, some not.

When a player was not performing he dropped them to the reserves or cut them.

Admittedly, Essendon had a little bit more money to play with.

So, sticking with the thread, if Smyth does come north I don't believe he will be coaching Brisbane. I think he will be an hour south as well.

Reply #108676 | Report this post

Harvard 1500  
Years ago

I believe it may be time to say bye bye Phil. Yes, he has gotten titles for Adelaide no ones disputing that and yes he has done some good things. BUT lately he is not getting the best out of his team. We can almost see a loss coming this season cause when we are down against a good team we cant adapt aour game enough to get back. I loved the Piggies game and was screaming louder than most on our way to the W, but lets be honest, it was the pigs and they suck twenty new flavours of arse, most state league sides would give them a whipping.

I'd like to see some new face prowling the sidelines and some fresh offensive and defencive theories out on the court. And hell if signing Stack guarantees us Brad
(tony Blair) lets get Ian. Im sure EC could tolerate some erratic facial hair for an 11 or so game win streak.

Reply #108689 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Isaac , I believe there should be a ban against people who post as anon as if they really had a opinion that mattered they would post there name \ nickname and stick to it. When I see or read anon I laugh and think how weak are these people who hide behind anon. If you have a thought and believe in it then say it dont hide because no one respects your opinions. Yes I am a big Phil Smyth supporter and unlike other coaches in the league at time outs I can actually understand what he is saying and he doesnt talk in riddle like Goorj. And when speaking to him he actually gives you respect by listening to what you have to say and gives you 100% attention unlike other sporting identities who give you a token gesture. So if he is like this to the average joe , then no wonder people want to play for him. IMO getting any other coach especially ninnis would be a huge backward step.

Reply #108691 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

Isaac , I believe there should be a ban against people who post as anon as if they really had a opinion that mattered they would post there name \ nickname and stick to it. When I see or read anon I laugh and think how weak are these people who hide behind anon. If you have a thought and believe in it then say it dont hide because no one respects your opinions. Yes I am a big Phil Smyth supporter and unlike other coaches in the league at time outs I can actually understand what he is saying and he doesnt talk in riddle like Goorj. And when speaking to him he actually gives you respect by listening to what you have to say and gives you 100% attention unlike other sporting identities who give you a token gesture. So if he is like this to the average joe , then no wonder people want to play for him. IMO getting any other coach especially ninnis would be a huge backward step.

Reply #108692 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I agree with Harvard 1500, The Pigs have the worst 2 imports in the league and have the worst Australian players in the league (and were without liam rush) and we just won by 8 and could have gotten spanked! That is not acceptable!

Yogee, I think Smyth would like you as you have continued to support him no matter how horrid the first half of the season has been! It just amuses me that you just sit on the fence. How bad does he have to coach before you will actually criticise his methods? Thats right your waiting for the end of the season to do that.

Reply #108693 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Thinking about it, it makes sense that Smyth would be sought after in Brisbane. He has won his championships at a time when he had championship quality players in the team. Give Smyth the right players and he knows how to translate that into a championship. Brisbane is a team full of the right players. They have been for several years but Wright has failed to take them all the way to a championship. Put Smyth in that position and he will take them all the way to a championship. The last few years in Adelaide has always been a problem for Phil getting the players he wanted. The quality of the work you do is to some extent dependant on the tools you have to work with. With the right tools, Smyth is a master.

Reply #108695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pure Silk,
Sometimes people post under anon because they are cowards, sometimes because they cannot afford to be identified and for various other reasons in between.
Tell me, what is the difference between Anon and Pure Silk or any one else on here for that matter.
You also hide behind your anonymity, why don't you put your real name to your posts if you really want to be taken seriously?
Lets face it, unless your someone like Panther or Yogee or 1 or 2 others who most people know, you are as anonymous as most anons on here.
You support Smyth which is your opinion, I happen to disagree with what I see and what I know, after being a fan for the 1st 5 or 6 years.
How does that make me weak?

Reply #108706 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Assuming its true, an interesting decision looming for our Phil.

Kids and Tammy (??) here v's putting yourself first and moving to Qld.

Not easy really is it?

Reply #108708 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anon #108706, I don't agree as there are many people posting under the name of anonymous and you don't know which one is which. Assuming that Pure Silk, EC, Fiji and all the other posters who post under an alias always post under the same alias, you develop a feel about their ideas and what that person is like. You get to "know" them on this forum as people belonging to that alias. That is far more personal than being one of many anonymous's.

Reply #108709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair enough EC, point taken.
I just think that their is some reasonable and just reasons why some people post under anon.
And generally you can nearly always decipher the people with a genuine knowledge or opinion compared to the others who don't on this site.
I also stand by the fact that no-one knows me anymore than they know you.
I am #108706 by the way.

Reply #108713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if Smythe goes to Brisbane, isn't that just the equivalent of someone getting a promotion to head office?

Eddy G promoting from within the organisation?

Reply #108716 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

KingJames, it didn't occur to me at the time, but the Pigs were not only missing Rush, but they were also missing Clint Reed who has been pretty serviceable for them in the past.

Reply #108719 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Yeah good point Isaac! I wonder if there would have been any action taken if they lost that game. I would think not otherwise it would have been whoever wins this game keeps their job :P

Reply #108720 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

EC

What is stopping me from posting under EC/Panther/TR/Pure Silk/Ocsar/Isaac? Well maybe not the last one because it would get squashed pretty quick.
I know my alias has been hijacked before.

Reply #108733 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I agree with the last line of post (#108733)

Reply #108744 | Report this post

Orlando Smith  
Years ago

If smyth goes to queensland (retirement capital of Australia) think of the team of old men he could put together, Instead of training Smyth and the Team could sit aroung and talk about how good the game used to be... Until the young whippersnappers took over.
I am seeing Phil, Lonard, Brett all at a barbershop... ah what fun!!

Reply #108813 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Sturty6ers, I made the assumption that people would be sensible about it.

Reply #108823 | Report this post

Bearcat  
Years ago

This is Phil's second year of a two year contract with an option of a third... so if not all parties agree that he's the man for the job next season he's out of a contract and free to go where he wants I would have thought.

Reply #108944 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754