Anonymous
Years ago

Rumour: New Team into Penang

Well that's where the NBL had their owners meeting last week.

Topic #9561 | Report this topic

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

After Adelaide gets another......

Reply #108774 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

and Gold Coast...
WTF?
How many teams are we going to have then???

Reply #108776 | Report this post

philnaldo  
Years ago

Perhaps a good round number ... like 50 should do the trick with 48 making the playoffs.

Reply #108782 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Would this be the same team that will be headed by a Melbourne based basketball family?

Reply #108785 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

One of them will be you'd assume.

Reply #108788 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I heard whispers a while back that the plan is for four Asian teams - you'd guess Singapore, Manila, Hong Kong and somewhere else?

Reply #108789 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

kuala lumpur?

Reply #108792 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

DILI, they could be called the "Dili Dally's"

Reply #108795 | Report this post

tony Blair  
Years ago

John Lawrence to be court annoucer and they win the pennant in their debut year.

Reply #108796 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Not another championship for him, surely!!

Reply #108798 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

lol Tony

Reply #108801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gazes have been promised Hong Kong.

Reply #108804 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

That makes sense with the Tigers Chinese ties over the years, numerous tours, Chinese sponsors and a Chinese player at Melbourne.

That familiarity can't hurt.

Although I do fear all of this expansion is happening a bit too quickly. Singapore is struggling for numbers, West Sydney are on the Brink, Sixers numbers are down (although there is no fear of a fold, just not overly strong at the moment), Kings are struggling (just on a side note how credible is Firepower, whenever I hear there claims I think of Peter Brock's magic ioniser in years gone past). I hope they don't make too many rash decisions with the lure of the Asian dollar. We might only get one shot at this, let's get it right.

Reply #108806 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Considering the tours we have had from Malysian teams, and the tours 6ers have done to Malaysia in the past...some sort of link there as well?

I agree with nutowrk, the asian expansion is certainly an exciting idea, but let's not do it half cocked.

Reply #108822 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Nutwork should get a ball, just for rembering the ioniser. One of the great inventions of the modern, no in fact any era.

Now the truth did you get one for your car?

If yes forfeit the ball.

Reply #108827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard on the grapevine (a pretty reliable source) that the NBL will not expand to any other countries as if it does than FIBA will take over the running of the league as it will be classified as an internationa tournament.

Reply #108857 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

No Fiji, but if Dick Johnson had been flogging them it might have been a different story.

Reply #108865 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:07 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754