eddy valiant
Years ago

Dragons - Has name been used before?

For all those with longer term memories of the NBL. I have looked on the NBL website and that only lists the current teams and those that played in the inaugural season in 1979.
Why I am asking if the "Dragons" name was ever used, is that I have recently come into possession of a playing uniform that I would guess was from the early 1980's. However it is in good condition and I doubt that it was ever worn in a game. The shorts are white with navy blue trim and the top is navy with white trim.
Sponsor was "Peter Stuyvesant" a cigarette brand for those not aware and team name of Dragons is on the back above the number. It does have the official NBL Badge sewn into the both top and shorts.
I was wondering whether this might have been a "mock up" uniform for maybe a district club planning to enter into the NBL in the very early days. I do remember that Glenelg (Now Southern Tigers), West Adelaide & West Torrens (Now Forestville) all had teams in the NBL.
Anybody have any clues at all? Player number is 15 if that has any significance, which from memory was Al Green's regular number, but he was with West in the eraly days anyway.

Topic #9602 | Report this topic

Tony Blair  
Years ago

West Adelaide were the bearcats
and Forestville the Eagles
can't remember a dragons

geelong - cats
sydney - sonics
west bankstown - bruins
hobart - devils
gold coast - rollers
newcastle - falcons
hunter - pirates
st kilda - saints
north melbourne - giants
eastside - spectres
victoria - titans
illawara - hawks (now wollongong)
coburg - giants (think this became north melbourne)

Reply #109262 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:22 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754