five
Years ago

Smyth comment after Crocs game

Smyth after last night:

"Adelaide coach Phil Smyth says his side's premiership chances are not totally dead in the water but added that the frustrations of new ownership and key injuries to his playing group were the reasons for his side's fall from grace."

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=36ers_newsdisplay&aid=4309

What's next?

(Mod: Fixed title. Please remember to include a thread title.)

Topic #9604 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

5-12 so far.

Rest of the season pans out as follows, 16 games:

Kings (away)
Pigs (home)
Slingers (home)
Hawks (away)
Dragons (home)
Cats (home)
Tigers (away)
Taipans (home)
Cats (away)
Breakers (away)
Kings (away)
Bullets (home)
Slingers (away)
Tigers (home)
Dragons (away)
Taipans (home)

I reckon you could only pencil in 3-4 of those. Maybe 8 would be likely losses, and the rest a chance. Splitting those 4 gives roughly 6-10 and an 11-22 season. I hope they can beat that - Pigs and Slingers won't, but Crocs, Dragons and Breakers should all do it.

Smyth made other comments in that article too:

"I think we have had nine or ten different starting groups for the season and for us we are normally pretty solid but this year it just hasn't happened for us," Smyth said.

"In the last nine games we have played, out of eight of those we have been around the mark and then we haven't shot well and if you can't get a group together before the game than this is what can happen."

Reply #109266 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

New thing to blame - the new ownership (aka his soon-to-be ex bosses).

I hate blame shifters.

Reply #109286 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Yep, all clubs have crappy years. If I would only hear 'I decided on this path but obviously it was wrong' from the coach I could live with the current situation. No coach in the history of the sport has got it right every year. I fail to see why ours is any different. It is simply showing disrespect to the fans as it takes them for fools.If he needs a role model, look at Neil Craig.He is always the first one to put his hand up when he gets it wrong. It's called 'learning' and this never stops for a coach.

Reply #109300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frustrations with new ownership? I do recall at the start of the season that the new ownership was excellent.
What has changed?
It is always easier to blame someone instead of being accountable for performances below par!

Reply #109364 | Report this post

Squid  
Years ago

I think someone needs to clarify exactly what frustration with the new ownership actually means. Perhaps there may be some thought that the new owners may have had some frustration with the team and its coach!

Reply #109405 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

Could Phil have been talking about the frustration of the process that it was to get new owners? I.e. the uncertainty of the future of basketball in this state and therefore the problmes that casued with recruiting and keeping players?

Reply #109425 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats not what he was saying when the sale went thru!! funny how it emerges now tho .

Reply #109431 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

The sale of the club was an excellent thing for the 36ers, but the timing of it made it very difficult to recruit for this season.

Reply #109456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tce44,

as has been said before, the 36ers coaching staff didn't even try and recruit, other than the players that they got.

Which were AJ, Copeland, Wheeler and Horvarth. Which was who they actually wanted and tried to recruit.

Thats not bad recruiting.

Reply #109476 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:53 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754