thedoctor
Years ago

NH - 2nd Test (Spoiler)

If you are near a TV, turn it to Ch 9. England are 7/98 with about 55 overs to play on the last day.

Warne is tearing it up, including bowling Pietersen around his legs for 2.

I might take the afternoon off and head down for the last session.

Topic #9621 | Report this topic

Tony blair  
Years ago

take me with you Doc. The boss has already pulled rank and wandered down with his members ticket to watch the game.

I'm glued to the radio which just messes with the hairdo! but what else can I do, not a TV in sight, perhaps I can go home sick!

Reply #109485 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I turned down two free tickets for today last night because I thought it would peter out after being slightly bored yesterday (except for gilly's tonking at the start of the day)....although the atmosphere on the hill was brilliant!

Reply #109488 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

now 8 /100 odd...Warne getting it done...too bad sixers players dont get better with age like the Aussie cricket team.

Reply #109491 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Tony get onto cricinfo.com mate...
ball by ball commentry if you go to live scorecards...

Reply #109493 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Im watching it on yahoo. They even have live animation of the shots. Its bloody brilliant!

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/cricket/ashes-2006-07/index.html

and click on 'Launch Matchlet'

Reply #109501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

168 needed from 36 overs

4.6 Run rate needed with 10 wickets

Reply #109517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Langer and Hayden OUT

2 for 32 needing another 126 for a victory.

Reply #109523 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

33 runs to go

6 wickets in hand.

55 balls left.

Reply #109532 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

thats as good as it gets what a win

Reply #109534 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Welldone Hussey!

61 not out!!!

Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!

Oi! Oi! Oi!

2-0 up,

BRING ON PERTH!

Reply #109535 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Anyone else had a go at

www.tonkapom.com.au ?

My best score is 959 with Andrew Symonds.

Reply #109540 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

983 with Symonds

Reply #109550 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

981 with symonds

Reply #109569 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

The BBC running commentary is hilarious, here's a few comments through the day, best to read from the bottom up:

18:53: That was the biggest load of rubbish I have ever seen. Lots of Aussies going berserk in Adelaide, lots of Englishmen looking like they've arrived home to find the French doors have been smashed and their new plasma TV's been stolen. Thanks for staying with me for the last 10 days - it's been a mix of emotions, but mainly depression and boredom, with a bit of anger and embarrassment thrown in. I'm off to Venice this weekend though, that should be nice, they don't even know what cricket is there. Bye.
18:42: Jones drops an inside edge off Anderson. I'm not bothered, I don't even like cricket. Hussey then swings Anderson away for four before pushing one into the covers to complete a crushing six-wicket victory. 168-4
18:38: Flintoff looks a bit teary now. So does my cricket editor, he's got to put up with another month of this. Nine more to win. 159-4

15:20: Before any of you Poms slit your wrists, remember that Australia have a dreadful record of chasing down paltry totals. This isn't over by a long chalk.

15:06: It doesn't seem quite right crying about a game of cricket, but I think I might have a little tear when the Aussies chase this paltry total down. This is, as Steve Waugh calls it, mental disintegration.

14:58: Sky has gone down! One of their engineers has obviously got so irate he's cut a few cables.

14:25: Those 16th Century English protestants had nothing on this Aussie team and their hideous instruments of torture. This is like watching someone get tarred, feathered, skinned and flambéed.

14:12: I've witnessed some pitiful England displays in my time, in all manner of sports, but this is undoubtedly the most pitiful. No wonder Lee's team-mates have started sledging him, I reckon they feel sorry for England.

14:06: Colly turns Warney away for a single and Gilo is exposed to Warne, which is a bit like exposing a raw sore to diesel. And Gilo has gone, a big, fat duck from the King of Spain.

13:46: The Aussies are convinced they've got Jones caught behind, Warne spinning one past the face of his bat. Umpire Bucknor disagrees and Warne looks like he's just got back from the pub to find he's left the bath running. Jones flicks him away for one and Warne gives him some serious grief when he gets to his end. This is hell on earth. 90-5

13:41: Can Jones and Collingwood make it until tea? I hope so, because if they don't, that's killed this Ashes series pretty much stone dead. At it stands, this is shaping up to be the most unpleasant night I've had since I got very drunk on cider when I was a student and ended up having to sleep at Dorchester station.

12:50: "I have had three coffees and 10 fags and it's not even lunch. What a bunch of nerve-wrecking stuff. Looks like work's off tomorrow..."

Reply #109575 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Just got 999 with Symonds on tonk a pom...
so close.....

Reply #109619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #109642 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

988 with Symonds...dammit!

Reply #109643 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

The Sun (British newspaper)

Wombats 2 Wombles 0

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,11004-2006560371,00.html

Great article and image aswell!

England's dramatic defeat in the second Ashes Test prompted a chorus of discontent from the British media lamenting a return to the dark old days.

"Chokers" ran the Daily Mail banner headline. "It took England 16 years to regain the Ashes - these men gave them back yesterday in two hours of schoolboy panic."

"England lose the test that no one could lose," said the back page of The Sun while the Daily Express headline read: "England left in state of shock".

The Daily Telegraph chimed in with "England collapse brings point of no return" and The Times added: "England punished after hour of madness."

The Express said: "There have been some depressing days for England since they last won the Ashes in Australia 20 years ago, but few have matched yesterday in Adelaide for the mood of utter despair that settled on Andrew Flintoff's team."

The British media had been confident of an England victory after the first day, writing off experienced bowlers Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath who struggled in England's huge first innings total of 6-551 declared.

With Australia making a remarkable recovery, however, the papers were forced to make a rapid reassessment as England face up to the challenge of fighting back from 2-0 down starting with the third Test in Perth.

"It is a long way to Perth from just about anywhere in Australia, but England face an even greater journey when they get there after losing their second successive Ashes test in crushing circumstances," the Telegraph said.

Former England batsman Geoffrey Boycott said in his Telegraph column: "Make no mistake about it, the Ashes are gone. If you support England, don't kid yourself that they might come back. No England team in history have recovered from 2-0 down against Australia. And let's face it, on current form, this is not a side capable of making history."

Warne's compelling display brought a raft of praise.

"Shane Warne messed with the minds of England's batsmen so completely they were stripped of their sanity, spirit and spine," The Sun said.

"Warne is cricket's Peter Pan, the King of Neverland who reduced England to nothing less than a collective nervous breakdown," the Independent's James Lawton wrote.

The Times said the defeat exposed failings in England's management.

"There are failures of leadership behind England's approach, no matter how difficult it was to get on top of Shane Warne's bowling yesterday and how excellent Australia's cricket was throughout the final day," the paper said.

Reuters

Great to see!!!

Go Aussies!

Reply #109709 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

http://www.knowfirst.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21921

Reply #109712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just got 984 with Hayden. Anyone got 1000?

Reply #109724 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:39 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754