123abc
Years ago

2007- An unbelievable Year

Channel 9 Sport-

Mal Hemmerling, Phil Smyth and Brett Maher at a press conference told the media that with the change of salary cap next year, the Sixers will go for more interstate players and will have a 'player clean out'

Smyth guarenteed that next season will be a huge year for the Sixers both on and off the court.

----

Does anyone know what the changes are for the Dome at the end of this year are going to be?

There will be a huge revamp of the Dome.

Topic #9626 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that at the start or will there be a 4-6 settling in period?

Reply #109541 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

I can't believe Phil is so confident that he will be leading the charge - checking weakest links he would be one of the main ones ...

Reply #109543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like Phil has already been told his job is safe.

Reply #109545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will the "interstate players" be 40+ years old?

Reply #109546 | Report this post

Sawmeinfhalf  
Years ago

I also saw the press conference and quite frankly it was a disgrace. Smyth said he "guaranteed" that the Sixers would be an exciting team in 2007, but when you look at his body language he came across like a little boy that had been screamed at, spanked and told to sit on the naughty step by Big Daddy Mal.

I've never been a big critic of Smyth, but for someone who was trying to get across how exciting next year will be he certainly lacked any energy or enthusiasm. He mentioned changes could involve changes to the nuclear (assuming he meant nucleus) of the team. I wonder if he considers himself to be part of the nucleus?

To top off a horribly uninspiring news report that was supposed to get us pumped about next year it appeared like he's completely given up on this year (as you would I guess) and the footage of the team scrimmage showed players playing at snail pace, turning the ball over and Horvath in the open court strolling to the basket and missing a dunk. Wahoo - can't wait for 2007 when I get excited....about possibly baracking for another team after more than a decade as a Sixer fan.

Disgruntled

Reply #109547 | Report this post

Pure Silk  
Years ago

With supporters like you sawmeinhalf we are better of without you - I cant fathom how people could just change teams like that but good luck to you. Times like this year just make the times when we are back where we belong challenging for the title more sweeter. I love the 36ers - Love em!
As for the press conference if they were jovial I am sure people on here would bag them so they are in a no-win situation. Plus its the same in AFL when sides are in this situation you dont see Mark Williams or Neil Craig doing hand stands now do you???

Reply #109549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a online video of the conference

Reply #109551 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

"Player clean out", probably more of a threat to the current team to lift their game. Whilst this season has been a horrible one, I would say that players including the current 36ers would find it more attractive in joining the 36ers next year when the owner has real control and exciting changes being made.

Reply #109554 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

Pure Silk , the problem here isn't sawmeinhalf, or any one else, being a poor supporter because they are frustrated with the present situation. The problem is that no-one willtake OWNERSHIP of the problem. If Phil would just say that "We're not good, and we have huge amounts of work to do" ,instead of feeding us all of those glib one liners, you would find an immediate attitude change from the supporter base. Fans are not going to dump THEIR TEAM, all they are doing is expressing their frustration over something they see as an issue that no-one in the mix seems to acknowledge.

Reply #109555 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Exactly Dribbler. The timing of this press conference astounds me. Why now? I'm sure if I was a player that would inspire me for the rest of the season...not. Ever heard of praise in public criticise in private? This just confirms the rumblings I've been hearing all along. The vibe from the coach to the players is an 'it's all your fault' attitude. Ahhh but then again he is the coach everyone wants to play for!

Reply #109565 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Phil will be in Qld next year.That is pretty big.

Reply #109566 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree with those commenting on the timing of this.

Would've much preferred to have seen comments on this season and a plan to get the most out of the games to come.

Reply #109574 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are the changes to the salary cap for next season, this year it is around $780k per club.

Reply #109581 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

that's what i'm wondering

Reply #109592 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I didn't see the conference, but based on above summaries, that is a disgrace. In effect, they are saying Nash, Mastro, Cooper, Ng are gone. I can't believe they would make those comments at this stage of the season. I would not be surprised if we finish last.

Reply #109602 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

amazing. A press conference on next season when this one is only half done.
Amazing

Reply #109605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nash is the only player contracted for next year so far.

Reply #109607 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

They can still cut him, or ask him to retire like Wests did with Dwight.

It doesn't make sense signing Timmons then effectively dismissing the season by talking of a cleanout and discussing next year's team. I agree that this season is over but this is a huge disrespect to ALL players on the team including those the club might want to retain. It certainly wouldn't attract me to the club if I was a target for next year's roster.

Reply #109610 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

It looks like Smyth has become Mals puppet as he (Phil) was very uncomfortable saying those things. Welcome to the world of private ownership Phil. Still, if it were my money being pissed away by lacklustre preparation and effort I'd be grumpy as well. I'm thinking it was more of Mal 'flexing his muscle' exercise and putting the message out that he is in charge, will make the decisions next year and Smyth is on notice. Amazing what body language can tell you....

Reply #109615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would somebody now spend money to go and watch this team play?

Season ticket holders would be feeling let down. And, weekly walk ups should spend their money on going to watch the Lightning games, because at least they still want to be competitive!

Reply #109626 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anon #109626, because it might be insurance on the future of the club. You can write this year off, but I would like to see what next year has to offer. There'll be no next year if everyone boycotts the games now. Keep going everyone and support your team in good and bad times.

Reply #109700 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hemmerling is not going to bail on the club because crowds fall in one year.

I go back to a point I've made elsewhere - people go to the games for different reasons. Some don't go just to keep the club afloat, they go to be entertained.

Reply #109707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expensive and very un rewarding entertainment.

Reply #109713 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't know about unrewarding - more so frustrating. When they're good, they're superb. When they're bad, they're flat.

Reply #109715 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

When the Sixers are winning home games, they are amazing.

Down by 10 or so and a massive comback led by a few good turnovers, farley threes, maher threes and a farley steal+dunk. All capped off with a game winning buzzer shot by mr.clutch himself.

Reply #109725 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I have never heard so much negativity about the club as there has been this season just because they are not performing well. If you regularly go to the games, surely you wouldn't abandom them just based on this year's performances. Wouldn't people ride the storm this year and hope for bigger and better things next year? As Isaac said, people go to the games for different reasons. True but how many different reasons are there other than a love of the sport and support for your state team? If the love of the sport doesn't die, then its not likely that Adelaide fans are going to change their support for another team. The 36ers as they are now is what we have regardless of whether we like it or not, what they will be next year could very well be different. I am happy to wait and see what happens before I decide that I have had enough and abandon it altogether. With the team we have now, it would help them to offer additional support from the fans, not fans walking away.

Reply #109761 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

How many other reasons? How about watching players they specifically like (remember the guys who showed up specifically to see Ingles play?), going to be entertained, etc. Once upon a time, 6,000+ used to go to games - some of those haven't been going recently for a reason.

This is not a charity. It is a business and it offers a product. Not everyone will go to see the 36ers whatever they put on the court - if they expect a game to be boring (poor opposition, team playing badly) they might choose to do something else, or stay at home and watch it on TV. Times have changed from people paying utility bills to now covering internet access, mobile phone, pay TV, gym membership, and more - those are all monthly costs that eat into what people can spend on attending games.

No smart business owner is going to let crowds stagnate year on year - they'll make changes to improve the product and bring people back.

Reply #109787 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, you don't need to remind me about people going to games to see players they specifically like. I hear you loud and clear.

Reply #109937 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Adelaide have great supporters that are educated. We are also smart enough to know that there will always be problems.

People have complained about players, coaches and some times they say things that are not necessarily true and people come irrational when they are disappointed with their team.

Adelaide has many problems off-court such as crowd and marketing. What maked Adelaide people unique is that they do a great job in what they set out to do.

Clipsal 500 is a prime example, Grandprix when Adelaide had it was good too. Supporters can help and it's easy too.

Can you make the next Sixers home game?

Are you planning to go?

I am, so why don't you?

Reply #112250 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

-make without the d-

Reply #112251 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:40 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754