Want to know
Years ago

The Longest Serving SA Basketball Family

I got myself into an argument on which Family has been involved in SA Basketball the longest. It was quite interesting. Involvement can be Ref, Playing, Coaching or Admin. No individuals

Nominations are??????

Topic #9636 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

First nomination
Gliddon Family
I think Neil started in 1967 with United Church, followed bt Megan, Matt and Ben, and of cource all controlled by Marilyn, whos brother Brian played for Glenelg by memory

Reply #109762 | Report this post

benj  
Years ago

What about Nagy???
Heard?

Reply #109768 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

the Hodges, starting with Rick

Reply #109771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ian and David Laurie would have to be up there

Reply #109773 | Report this post

Noti Bagy  
Years ago

Dancis' Mike and George starting with the 56 Olympics also Brian Hennig would be around the mark as well

Reply #109776 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

The Forman's.

Reply #109789 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Cue dad posting about his social teams, the Basketweavers and the Drover's Dogs...

Reply #109794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The butler family. starting with dick and continuing with Scott and Michael.

Reply #109820 | Report this post

The Point  
Years ago

Ahmat Family

Reply #109824 | Report this post

Neal Bridgeman  
Years ago

How about Jack Haines, his wife, Dot, and their son, Phil?
Jack actually started refereeing back in the fifties, so he has to be up there, and Dot has been as doorkeeper for as far back as I can remember...
And then there is the Ware family, Leonie, Dave, Michelle etc.

This is actually a very good argument thread. Keep Posting peoples!

Reply #109946 | Report this post

Want to know  
Years ago

Lets get some dates with the names.
The Ware family, when did Michelle start playing?
I would love yo know the family who has been involved the longest

Reply #110233 | Report this post

Want to know  
Years ago

The other one I would love to know is the families with the largest number of members involved.

Reply #110234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope I get this right, how bout this one

Frank Simmons
Philip Simmons
Peter Simmons
Darryl Simmons
David Simmons
Chris Simmons
Michael Simmons
Jonathon Simmons
Mitch Simmons
Tom Simmons

Think they started for United Church in 67 and still going

Reply #110237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westies have been leading the way in DNA research. They were able to reconstruct a Dennis Jones from fossils of the previous Dennis Jones found buried under Athol Park.

Reply #110245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lauries certainly around longer than Hodges, mmmm Butlers and Gliddons would be around the mark

Reply #110328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And the winner is.... the counless unnamed mums and dads out there who transport dick and dora all over Adelaide and far flung interstate venues and have been doing it forever.

Reply #110424 | Report this post

Neal Bridgeman  
Years ago

Jack Haines started playing for Uniting Church in 1955-56. In 1957 he was invited to start refereeing. He still does juniors and social today. Jack's "highlight" of his reffing career was the game between Australia and a visiting US college team, Loyola Marymount (don't quote me on this though - Phil, correct me if I'm wrong!) in 1984.
Dot Haines met Jack in 1967, and she played a couple of years of basketball too. Dot has since been one of those familiar faces, who takes the money for all your admission tickets at different Staiums over the years, and still does today. Their daughter, and two sons all played basketball, of which Phil played for West Adelaide up to 18B div 1, when he decided to concentrate on reffing. Phil is now an NBL and internationally (FIBA) accredited referee, and having reffed FIBA tournaments in Czechoslovakia, and Russia. Phil has also coached some West Adelaide junior teams over the years as well.

This means the Haines family has been involved in basketball for over 50 years.

Reply #110803 | Report this post

uncle arthur  
Years ago

dancis and hennig are a good call Noti - real dinosaurs

they would be in the 50's as well

Reply #110806 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:33 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754