Isaac
Years ago

Two players offer pay cut for Timmons

Two senior 36ers (oblig. joke: well, that narrows it down!) have offered to take pay cuts to get Marcus Timmons into the team. Adelaide are well under the points cap (though other restrictions apply there) but cannot fit him under the salary cap.

And despite even that, the club are still believed to be 50-50 to get Timmons into the team for tomorrow's game against Sydney.

Adelaide will need to fire whether Timmons suits or not - they haven't won in Sydney against the Kings since 1999. Last time they played the Kings there, they lost by 44, the second largest loss in the history of the club.

Mark Nash will play his 300th game and Willie Farley his 150th so hopefully both can lift for the occasion.

Topic #9637 | Report this topic

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Phil and Steve?

Reply #109783 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Isaac, this is a little off topic but just out of curiousity, what is the largest loss in the clubs history?

Reply #109784 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Sturty that is gold.

Reply #109790 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yogee, got a media guide handy? Mine's at the office.

Reply #109793 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

I would think that Nash and Wheeler would be the guys offering $ .Both have severely underperformed thus far.
Wheeler shows signs that he is getting better - Nash .. the opposite.
But then Nash isnt on $90k+ wasnt it ?

Reply #109796 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The man at the Dome comes through: biggest losing margin was 46 points at Wollongong on 02/01/04, went down 75-121 to the Hawks.

Reply #109797 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

Hmmm, is this the start of the creative accounting that Phil has been looking forward to?

Reply #109798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i would say dont take the cut, although the players have a huge part in the year i dont think its fair for them to have to make way for a player in a loosing year. If they cant work it out just go without!

Reply #109803 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Take a formal pay cut and then get a nice xmas present to give it back? I'm sure they have a way of getting it done so as not to put a player out too much.

Reply #109804 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Why would any player put their hand up to take a pay cut after the press conference?

The club made it abundantly clear there will be major changes to the squad, so why would a player then take the risk that they are not one of them.

I'm thinking another smoke and mirror job.

Reply #109805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, anyone that actually believes that any player will actually be out of pocket probably believes that the jolly man in the big red suit will be visiting them later this month.
But hang on a minute, that would mean we will be over the salary cap. Then the masses on here complaining about others cheating the cap won't have much to bitch about will they?

Reply #109809 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Fiji - taking a pay cut would make you more likely to be kept next year would it not. The club will be looking to move their overpriced, underperforming players..

Reply #109810 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

...unless the underperforming players are the ones taking the cut.

Reply #109811 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Wheels and ?

Reply #109812 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea i read it in the paper, i hope the nbl allows it and i say good on you to the players, my guesses would be Maher and Wheeler, but i have no idea who it would be.
Heres hoping we can fit Timmons in and finish the season with some good wins!!
Sort of a side note, if Timmons say starts and averages around 15pts 8 rebounds a game, and plays hard defence and the team wins a few more games, what would peoples thoughts on keeping Timmons for next season?? especially if he is willing to play on the cheap and even come off the bench im not against the idea, as i like our 2 imports and baring recruiting a Mackinnon or Cat or someone like that, if timmons does produce well there may not be any better Aussie Small forwards available

Reply #109827 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

No lockstock it doesn't, but if your criteria is right in that out will go the overpriced and underperforming, then we will start next year with no coaches, and maybe 3 players in Brett, Horvat and Sutton.

You are assuming there is a reward for such a thing as Club Loyalty....hmmmm interesting thought, just a pity its 2006 and not 1986.

In other words it does not exist from either a Club or player perspective these days.

Reply #109846 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Sorry Isaac, I was at work...I might work FOR the internet, I dont have access to it unless I'm in a break.....

Reply #109869 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Jonno, if Timmons plays out this season with the 36ers and averages 15 points per game, he will increase his value and will not come on the cheap next season. Where there is a bargain, there will be others trying to grab it.

Reply #109920 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

yea true, but say if we are not able to get the Cats, mackinnons, savilles of the world would you keep timmons if he say puts up say 15pts 8 rbds??? even if he was asking a decent price

Reply #109931 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If we could afford the Cats, Mackinnons and Savilles of the world, then the club needs to vigorously pursue them. Timmons would not fill that space sufficiently. Having said that, he has only played one game so far for the 36ers. We need to see what he brings to the team on a much longer period of time.

Reply #110257 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:34 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754