Old Timer
Years ago

Where are they now: Calvin Talford

If you remember him from back in the day and want to know what he is up to.

Also having an argument with a guy at work if he came out the same year as big Jim Havrilla ?????

http://www.hostboard.com/LDPforum/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=LDP&Number=191210&page=8&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=

Topic #9641 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Talford and Havrilla were the same year

Havrilla was a Cougar / Roller and Talford a Devil.

Got one of Talfords dunks on you tube if you want to look

Reply #109826 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

If i recall Havrilla was with the Devils in the `93 season - the most memorable thing he did was smash a backboard with his mass...

Talford came out with the Devils in `95 (might have been `94 - definitely didn`t play with Havrilla - his Import running mate was a PF who always wore a headband (name eludes me)) i reckon and was (IMHO) one of the most exciting imports we ever saw (only 6-3or4 - but could throw it down... Sorry Leon - but you had a good 3-4 inches at least on him...)

Reply #109833 | Report this post

Genuine Old Timer  
Years ago

It is funny what some people define as "back in the day".

Unfortunately "back in the day" is a lot longer ago for me than when Calvin Talford was playing. As far as I'm concerned that was only yesterday!

Reply #109834 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Johnny, is that headband-wearer any of these names?

Imports in the Devils side included: Paul "Spike" Stanley, "Jumpin'" Joe Hurst, Andre Moore, Wayne "Big Mac" McDaniel (later received citizenship), Calvin Talford, Cal Bruton and Jim Havrilla, Danny Adamson

Reply #109835 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Calvin was in Hobart in '94 along with:
Wayne McDaniel
Anthony Stewart
Paul Crombie
Darren Perry
Mark Nash
Darren C. Smith
Keith Nelson
Lamont Middleton
Ross McKinnon
Marco Van Buuren
Nigel Dunn

Jim Havrilla was in Hobart in '93
with:
Marcus Bellchambers
Bruce Blair
Jason White
Justin Cass
Donald Whiteside
David Close
Nigel Dunn
Andrew Svaldenis
Neil Turner
Anthony Stewart
Wayne McDaniel Forward
Mike Kelly

Reply #109839 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

All courtesy of:

http://www.nblstats.com/playerlist.php

Reply #109840 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Isaac - i reckon it was Lamont Middleton... all Skin and bones but an efficient power forward... Talford was the guy who brought the razzle dazzle - Middleton the guy who would help you win the games... Pretty good import tandem actually - made the Devils my fave non-Sixers team back in that season... with Darren (Jason`s twin brother) Smith one of the most electrifying home-grown players in the NBL that season (he had Sammy Mac-Like moves)... If someone would have told me that Darren would disappear into oblivion and Jason (at the time warming the Magic bench) would become a starter for the Boomers - i would have kicked them in the nuts (and laughed at them...)...

Reply #109843 | Report this post

Genuine Old Timer  
Years ago

My favourite devil was jumpin joe hurst. MVP in 88 or 89 I think and then slid away pretty quickly. Can any remember his dunk of the year in the late 80's - a 360 on the break over top of some poor dude!

Reply #109845 | Report this post

philnaldo  
Years ago

Middleton wasn't skin and bones ,he had a hefty build like Chris Blakemore

Reply #109849 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Any other notable headband wearers? Jayson Wells and Phil Handy (remember that guy from the Pigs?) are a couple.

Reply #109850 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Phil Handy, great guy - average player. I still can't believe he got an NBA try out after he left our shores, he must have the best agent in the world. Maybe Luke Schenscher should look up his agent.

Reply #109853 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Getting onto headbands, did Tony DeAmbrosis wear one for a couple of seasons?

Reply #109854 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Calvin during the 1994 dunk comp

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Reply #109860 | Report this post

JohnnySack  
Years ago

Nooo00000 way Philnaldo - not Blakemore... I might need to justify myself here - skin and bones - relative to the standard PF body (the guy had ballerina legs - like Sharone Wright - and his upper body was not that well developed - compared to other imports from that time like Munk, Owes, MD, Scales)... He was a smart player - making up for his lack of bulk (once again - relative) by being canny, opportunistic and qucker on his feet than the next guy... But it`s in the eye of the beholder i guess...

Reply #109862 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

I think someone's a little confused. I remember Wayne Mc retired at the end of 93 season, and Talford and Middleton came in. But Middleton sucked and was cut, and Wayne Mc came out of retirement to help out the Devils. JSack, you may be thinking of Donald Whiteside ...

Reply #109866 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

D.W. was a point though... Lamont may have been cut (been a while - memories fade) but i thought he was a decent import...

Reply #109879 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Ahhh the glory days of the NBL (re: crowd in the background of those Talford photos) (relatively) big name imports (JoJo, Reggie Smith, Lichti, Adonis Jordan... etc) that on the main were duds (Jordan wasn't but the others???), a genuine media prescence... ramble, ramble, ramble... I mean you could get NBL All Star Collector cards in Uncle Tobys packs... ramble ramble...

Reply #109881 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

MMW, those dunk contest photos are mad!

That was without question the best NBL dunk contest to date (and probably to come). Talford, Trimmingham and Mario Donaldson all threw done some insane jams, all of these guys were way ahead of eventual winner Brett Rainbow, but frickin' celebrity judge Elle McFeast didn't do her job seriously and single handedly ruined the integrity of the scoring system. Damn her to hell.

Anyone else remember this?

Reply #109916 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Yep - waste of (a fair bit) space... that was shambolic to say the least... Lesson learned - hard to believe she was a celebrity (I guess we were all a little responsible for that!!!)......

Reply #109936 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Nope. LM played preseason and could dunk a little, and had an awesome jelly-wobble-shimmy-shake celebration, but he fell apart regular season and only lasted about five or six games before being replaced.

Reply #110147 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Maybe i was overwhelmed by his head band - but i thought he was okay... and his stats (not a good measure - i know) are pretty eye opening...

20 ppg 7 reb 5 ast 1 spg... not bad but other intangibles go into making a good player...

http://www.nblstats.com/players.php?playerid=10795

Reply #110161 | Report this post

KP  
Years ago

Paul Stanley was a scoring machine back in the late 80's NBL. Left handed shooter who lit up just about everybody in the league. Saw him put up 38 on James Crawford in Perth..1987. Nasty

Reply #173181 | Report this post

Shane  
Years ago

Lamont Middleton was ok, he was replaced at the beginning of the season by Keith Nelson, who I thought was great lead the league in blocks (or was close to the lead, I forget).. he was signed to come back the following season but blew out his knee & was replaced by Jonathon Roberts.. monster of a guy..

Reply #273708 | Report this post

Shane  
Years ago

also somewhere in there, calvin talford was replaced by jerome scott..

Reply #273710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #505496 | Report this post

Harry Hackrein  
Years ago

Middleton never fell apart. He was playing with a severely bruised knee and subsequently was cut. Replaced by Nelson as mentioned.
Undoubtedly Talford could dunk and shot 50? against Brisbane in his first game and they still lost. From there he went downhill.
Scott came a year later and Talford was already gone by then.

Reply #505522 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:52 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754