xmas cheer
Years ago

Registered users only

After reading the Yogee and Dana romance in a previous post and then taking into account the amount of garbage and slanging of shiot that goes on here on this site I reckon Isaac that unless you are a registered user people should not be allowed to post - I know many people who no longer visit the site due to the negativety and crap that gets written. Oz hoops seems to get it right.

This site seems to being now for a select few who can hide behind anon and push their own cause.

I can hear the responses from those clowns now in the responses this topic will get.

Topic #9651 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I can appreciate what you are saying, but:

Are you a registered user?

Do you change alias frequently?

The Dana-flare-up involved identities such as Dana, thedoctor, Yogee, TR, Hangin Round, Sturty6ers, etc - these are all known contributors! There weren't a whole lot of anonymous posts in that thread.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, but I don't see how it relates to that incident and credibility.

And if you're using OzHoops as an example, do you ever read the Townsville threads? Or Stumps vs Voice(s) or DDFan? They're worse than anything on here!

Reply #109967 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Are you using an alias now?

Reply #109969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said xmas cheer!

Reply #109973 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Apologies from me for casuing any problems.
I was wrong and won't do it again.

Reply #109974 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why the tantrum?

The topic concerns enforced registration for posters. Stick to it.

This change would impact all users of the forum so I would like to hear from as many people as possible.

Reply #109978 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I don't go on other websites for the fact that I would rather discuss basketball in SA, so I can't comment on the other sites. But even if someone registers with the site, can they still not post under an alias, so what would really change besides perhaps losing anonymous posters?
Most people know who I am and I have to say I cop a fair bit, if not more than most on here but it won't stop me coming on here and posting as it's a fantastic site to discuss basketball and to become informed of a lot of stuff that happens before it even hits the media.

Reply #109983 | Report this post

Tony blair  
Years ago

I don't have a problem with registered users. However as you would know there are times when I'm forced to use anon to post.

I'd still like the ability to have a change in alias from time to time.

I can't talk about the other sites. I see people here react to playing the player not the man. But the majority of posts here are good. In fact on sensitive topics I often will pay credence to an anon post as they are often the most informed but do not want to be identified.

Reply #109986 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Registering will mean that only one IP address for each Alias?

I do get to know the alias of each person and some have credibility others I dont even read.
If you have to register it does make you think before you type, but idiots will always be...

Reply #109987 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, wouldn't tie a user to an IP (an IP is often shared by multiple computers) but to a user session that is achieved by logging in with an email address and password. You can register with the site now, but it's useless for anyone but moderators (who get extra privileges (edit, delete, etc) when logging in).

If someone wants to register to post crap, they will. I would certainly like to consider providing more options to registered users to give them more reason to create a persona within the community, but I can't imagine that would change the actions of some who are just "joking around". e.g., say a registered user had the ability to block anonymous posts from view - would that have made much change for the Erin/thedoctor threads? Nope.

More topical for these two recent threads is the importance of playing the ball, not the man - argue the point, not the character.

Reply #109990 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

I back the non compulsory registration wih moderators as it stands. As with a previous post,I prefer that contributors uniquely tag within a post to aid flow of info supplied.
The Doctor / Dana soap opera rather cries out for mediation of two lost souls. A load of Bah Humbug! Sounds like a family squabble. P.S. the crocodile wants its tears back.

Reply #110031 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

If I had to log on with username and password, I certainly would; however this is a great site as it is.

Yeah sure, I might tone down some stuff I say (that might be what you are looking for)but it wouldny stop me posting, no way. It might just make reading some posts a little less entertaining.

I see from time to time the moderators pull a posting off a thread before too many people get to read it. Im not up with all the laws and stuff you guys do at your ends, but it seems to be working fine as is.

Keep up the good work, on a great site.

Reply #110058 | Report this post

Cultural Crap  
Years ago

Xmas cheer to all - just ban the anon - let people put a name ficticious or real to a post. Create some personalities and charachter - who cares if someone has 4-5 different names. Basketball coaches by nature can be boring as bat shit and You can tell by the comments made and the posts who some of the anons are - isn't that right PM and the sturt boys so spice it up a bit and use your imaginations with a name instead of the anon.

Look at poor Steven D - how much s..t does he cop ..... Just for being honest with his opinions.

He has the courage of his convictions - good luck to him

Reply #110060 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I tend to post with my username most the time, and anyone who has been involved with basketball for some time will know who I am.

I do from time to time post anon, if I am posting something that is more controversial, but I have from time to time put my positions in jeopardy by willingly speaking my mind.

I dont think registered users would solve many of the problems.

Reply #110084 | Report this post

seen it all  
Years ago

Mostly I think the posts are fine, some are self- indulgent crap but they are usually the funniest. while others give some good thoughts and supporter interest to the game. Registration would probably get rid of the one or two that need to get a life, but it could also stop some people posting as this forum allows them a sounding board which we all need from time to time and as long as it doesn't get legal in content, the ability to voice an opinion without anymore than a verbal lashing from a few is worthwhile.
ANon or some alias, I see them as no different although 'cultural', I think the building of personalities and characters is a good point you make. the moderators seem to try and keep a handle on what is posted but no doubt the job is huge and they are not the nanny police either - the responsibility is with the users - stick with the rules, written and unwritten, that you argue or put forward a point without being personal and nasty - argue the opinion not the person giving the opinion. It would be a ral boring place if we all thought the same - hey we wouldn't have this forum..

Reply #110090 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I like the way it is. Anon posts you accept at face value, comments made by the more recognisable nicknames add that little more credability. Most people use nicks, that people that need to know who they are, already know who they are. We have a few others doing the rounds here and there, but overall its a great site Isaac.

Reply #110140 | Report this post

Speaking out  
Years ago

Yogee

Your last post mentions that you have put your positions at risk simply because you have the courage to put your thoughts to your identity - that is my exact point and question - Why should you be penalised for trying to give an alternate view point ? Why, is it because of the small minded group of people that have run the game in this state for the last 30 years and don't like or want change ?

We need people like yourself, panther,cultural, stephen D putting accross a balanced perspective otherwise the dictatorship (I call them Hogans Hereos) will remain.

Keep up the good work you guyz

Reply #110158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anons give idiots like me the opportunity to present ideas that tags like you can destroy with gusto.
But then, rarely and usually by accident, we present some home truths that are worth talking about.
If we tagged ourselves natural prejudices would lead to a playing the man not the message.
Just a thought, lots of anons that post may be discounted if their identity was known and we didn't like them - human nature!This way we are forced to play the idea not the person.

Reply #110162 | Report this post

Years ago

I think 'anonymous' should be removed and as a matter of courtesy (courtesy on this site, yeah, right!!) posters should use the same nick for a discussion just to make the info digestion a bit easier. I have no problem with folks swapping nicks otherwise.

Isaac, you do a great job with this site. You should try to get a job in the I.T. industry as you really have the aptitude for it (ha ha!!!)

Reply #110215 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

IMO I believe 'anonymous' has a place in this forum. The problem I face is I'm not SA-based, but I know that a few good friends read and contribute to this site and they know who I'm talking about(BTW I'm coming to Adelaide in early Jan so beware).

A title of anonymous needs to be maintained so the individual that may have truthful inside information can post without their identity being comprimised. At the moment one thing that makes this site great and so valuable is people with the contacts and knowledge can post knowing that their identity will not be comprimised. (Isacc, this site is one thing that keeps my sane during nighshift and such).

If people know what I do for a living (as some do on this site to a minor degree) then they understand why I'm so supporting of the 'anon' tag, but if you decide to bag a regular poster and call them out then at least have the balls to put a name to it.

I have had discussion with many people which I haven't met, and come my time in Adelaide I would like to buy them a drink or three (Isaac, Bizzy, Nutwork, Kent Brockman, I have my issues with Ben Fitz... heheh).

I admit I have posted under an another name, especially during the 'Brad/The Awnser' era (purely for the fact he pissed me off so much and I didn't want to degrade my true initals), but I maintain that anything said of a serious nature has been under TR. Some punk decide to post under this name, and yes I bit and thankfully a mod (Isaac) corrected the issue.

Dana,Yogee and others, don't be sorry for posting your beliefs, whilst I'm in thedoctors corner on this little debate, people need to express their opinions and beliefs even if you hit some hurdles, don't give to up. Fight for your beliefs and continue posting as whilst I tend to differ from your opinion it is something I do take on board as say "yeah I see there point, but..."

Xmas Cheer, I detest the word 'clown', please feel free to actually meet me before labelling me as a 'clown' for replying or look at my posting history as I would put money on it 'clown' wouldn't come up in a face-to-face conversation unless you had recently visited a circus.

Reply #110244 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Sorry for the typo in the second paragraph within the brackets Isaac.

Reply #110246 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Night shift?? In Canberra???

What do you do, armed guard on the Donut King?? :)

Or is night shift 7-10pm, coz nothings open after that :)

Reply #110258 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yogee considering you live in Adelaide I don't think you should be making jokes about closing times in other states.

Reply #110262 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Yogee, I'll let that one slide :) this time, and remember when you ask me if it was I in Grote Street (I think) about 6 months ago, well it was. Fly in and fly out.

Just incase you were wondering nightshift for me is 6:00pm to 6:00am, and little old Canberra is starting to slowly grow up. We've had a murder and a few fatals in the past 3 days, not to mention a chronic heroin problem (not me before you go there) here which always makes things interesting, which in turns leads to increase crime rates in property related offences and such.

Reply #110274 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Yogee was just looking for trouble on that one TR.

Reply #110275 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Yogee is always looking for trouble, he's just lucky I know he always gives me a little dig every now and then with a silly smirk on his face whilst he's typing away.

Reply #110277 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

get over it, grow up.

need to be registered, pah, no-one here knows me..is ever likely to know me..what difference will it make?

If you dont like what someone (anon or otherwise) posts, then dont worry about it, who cares.

If it seems stupid, it probably is, if it is intelligent and valuable then treat it that way.

have fun

Reply #110295 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

It would be good if people who post under a nickname could register it, and stop other people from using it.

Other than that, I think the site is good the way it is, and as noted by others, the Anonymous posters are sometimes forced to post as Anon's to give us the inside word without compromising their positions within BSA, 36ers, Lightning, or the Clubs.

Reply #110377 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754