DB5
Years ago

What is wrong with Steve Leven?

I think I spelt this guy's name right, but I am wondering... With all the bagging of the Sixers recruiting old guys, why did we not even trial this bloke? From what I have read he is a pretty good baller, just a bit of an attitude problem. Played in the states, Handle mag rated him pretty high( Not that this is gospel though).

Isn't this the sort of guy we need? Maybe someone that would have got in Abney's face after the Hill foul..

Interested in people's opinions...

Topic #9653 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Steve Leven.

Not sure he would be Smyth's style which is low-maintenance, low drama - look at someone like Copeland, Sutton, Maher, Horvath - reckon any of them stir up trouble within the team?

Given that Leven bombed out in Perth and then screwed up at the Boomers camp, I don't know that it would be worth the risk.

There's an upcoming Handle issue claiming that two NBL clubs offered Leven contracts for the remainder of the season, but that he's leaving for a European gig shortly.

Reply #109989 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Isaac ,
How did he screw up at boomers camp ? i didnt hear about that one.

Reply #109992 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Hadn't heard that one either Isaac..

I guess my point is, look at the teams with guys with attitude problems..a la Dragons and the blonde tool, who are playing much better than us, West Sydney would have a few more wins with Harvey healthy all year, Simon Kerle used to fire his team up, even Cattalini had issues early on in his career...Maybe it was worth the chance as opposed to bringing in Timmons, bring in some one that wears their heart on their sleeve..

What was the reason Perth cut him for?

Reply #109994 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The rumour has been that he was a bit boozy out with friends the night before a training, showed up underdone and either left or was sent packing. You'd say that Goorjian wouldn't give him such an excellent opportunity again.

Then there's all the business with Perth - missing trainings while the team was away, bailing on a promotion at a school (a friend of his has posted on OzHoops that he left because he was "abused"). I'm sure there are two sides to everything, but he seems to have discipline issues.

And those players you've named have "attitudes", not attitude problems IMO. I've not heard of any of them skipping trainings or appearances, etc. In fact, Heal has always seemed to handle the media very well.

Reply #109995 | Report this post

philnaldo  
Years ago

Yes he handled the media very well when he got his ass handed to him by France in the 2000 Olympics Semi-Finals and Barnes still wouldn't take him off.He then took his ball and went home when "smacker" was sacked and Phil was appointed, grrr that still makes me mad!!

As for Levin Is the talent is there then that usually overides everything just look at the debacle at West Coast, Cousins loves the juice and keeps getting in trouble but because he is a gun player then people keep making excuses for him

Reply #110005 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

On the Cousins thing - check this out.

http://www.dockerland.com/games/stagger.html

Reply #110011 | Report this post

The Worm  
Years ago

High Score Doc?

Reply #110075 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Okay thanks Isaac, had not heard that one...
Doing a Symonds.. but really so what, I have seen Power and cow players out a night or 2 before a big game...The Andy Symonds incident in the UK last year in the cricket.. SFW?

I understand what you are saying, but if we can give an old man a trial with the team, would it really have hurt to trial Leven??

As I stated before, a bit of heart, a bit of character, some one to do some "dirty" work on the court...May have been beneficial to the team, might have been detrimental...I guess we will never know..

Reply #110080 | Report this post

AK-47  
Years ago

Steve and Perth parted as both felt it was best.
I agree DB5 go for it.
With Sutton out for 2-3 wks there is no harm in trying.

Reply #110106 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

Can't come to play in Adelaide, it's too hot, and he might expire !

Reply #110144 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

from all the things ive heard he sounds like a bit of an arsehole, ofcourse that doesnt mean he's not a goodball player tho

Reply #110193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i personally nkow steve n all that shit with perth was bullshit...he went there being promised he would be playing the 2 sport but wen he did get there they had signed a 2 man so he would hav 2 play the combo guard n he didnt want that

Reply #130821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

so, if you are signed you play the position you are told go quit, he was sacked wasn't he?

Reply #130822 | Report this post

bubbles  
Years ago

i know him personnally and have grown up with him and i can tell you he was bought up in a place that was like the bronx and he can play ball he hasnt had it handed to him on a platter like rich pieces of shit he was training up to 8 hours a day to get were he got and was always put down by rich stuck up people he was promised a position so he went to the club and when your promised position is given to a play with half the heart and talent you would be pissed off i think he is a very talented kid who made the right decision to go to europe as australis dont deserve anything from him as it was american coaches that got him to were he is and i say well done steve we are proud of you

Reply #140324 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Where is he at the moment??
Any NBL teams looking at him now?

Reply #140444 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Something about a Vegas Nike camp and Europe. Singapore, if anything. Perth won't touch him again, and most other coaches would follow Goorjian's lead IMO after his incident with the Boomers.

Chip on his shoulder. Needs to drop the attitude.

Reply #140445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hes dead nice. going to see him on friday.

Reply #171815 | Report this post

Amy Kalms  
Years ago

excuse me. but i happen to be his cousin, he his a great person, terrific coach when he is in town, and has a great time with friends!
Sure, he has a bit of an attitude problem sometimes but that's like me!!
Not trying to start anything... but i just cant let all you say stuff like that bout him!!!
And thanks anonymous...he is dead nice!!!

Reply #216735 | Report this post

Lou  
Years ago

Well, he's coming to the West-Brabant Giants now (february 2009). As long as he can make his so called 'attitude' work for the team, like Aaron Johnson does, he's very welcome here.

Go Go Steve!

Reply #227434 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:20 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754