Anonymous
Years ago

Can the NBL learn something from the A League, lik

3 Years ago soccer was dead in this country, the people that ran soccer knew so and did something about it.

I'm not sure exactly what happened but they came back with less teams and changed the image of the game via smart ads and of course the name.

I know that the world cup has helped the league a lot but to go from crowds of 5,000 in Melbourne 3 years ago to 50,000 last night.

Maybe, just maybe, the NBL needs to do something drastic like that?

Topic #9665 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

Would also take someone like Frank Lowy to invest mega$$ which is the way they did it.

The only people that readily come to mind (Eddy, Mark Cowan) already own teams, and can't see them willing to give that up to "buy" the league.

Reply #110259 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another problem is that the NBL are happy to be in the smaller towns like Cairns and Townsville. It is working well for the NBL and they are getting 4,000 to games. But if they NBL wanted to become big and get back to the 12,000 games like in Brisbane and Melbourne, then teams wouldn't work in Cairns and Townsville as they wouldn't be able to compete with the bigger teams.

Reply #110260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO

...ok i havnt read any of the posts, thats just my reply to the title, coz no1 can learn anythin from soccer!

Reply #110308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to build from the bottom up and have a good repeatable program in place so that kids and parents know there is an NBL
light and options at the end of the tunnel.

Reply #110347 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

An exraordinarily shallow view of this topic.

a) football (soccer) was not dead in this country three years ago, its participation base was flourishing - the NSL was struggling and the national sides were in some disarray.

b) the people controlling the sport at that time did not want to do anything about it but about five years ago (not three) some externals and the ASC decided something needed to be done

c) the government bailed out Soccer Australia with a massive injection of interest free loans - close to 10 mil's worth, provided they restructured completely which then happened....in effect the Australia taxpayer fund the restructure of football in this country

d) the A-league is doing very very very well in Melbourne at the moment - do not be fooled. Perth has no owner, NZ is a basket case and a major worry for A-league management, Newcastle started this season in massive trouble. No a-league club made money last season, combined losses for the eight clubs were close to 20 mil. Frank had to personally inject a small mint into Sydney FC to keep them viable - a big conflict of interest that will inevitably cause significant problems the minute the a-league needs to discipline the Sydney FC club for some reason. Crowds are well below expectation at more than half of the A-league clubs.

IN short, all that glitters is not gold.

Soccer in this country will continue to be plagued by the same problem that basketball does here and in Europe, and that is, very simpy, that the best league is not here. The NBA is better than the NBL or the Spanish basketball league. The EPL, or Serie A or La Liga are all much much better than anything the A-league can put on the pitch. Its the same reason crowds don't go to Shield Cricket anymore - the advent of annual test series and one days series here created a better product each summer. We all know the Shield is good quality, but there is something better we will actually go and and pay to see.

Reply #110348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once everyone jumps off the bandwagon (hopefully in the next couple of years), soccer's a-league will become a second tier national competition.

Personally I cannot stand the sport (full of divers and softies).

Telstra Dome pulled a crowd of 50,000+ for... wait for it... a 0-0 draw... How can people get excitied by that and walk away satisfied.

Reply #110374 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Can't a game be exciting and intersting and still be a draw? I say Yes.

Reply #110380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes it can.

But 90mins with no goals? I mean come on.....

Hoops is a great example of an exciting game which can be a draw (after reg. time).

Reply #110383 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Cricket, 5 days and no result. Football 120 mins, and a draw. Still can be a quality, no matter how long and how many goals.

Reply #110390 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

110374 And of course no one ever dives (flops ??) in bball!!

Reply #110502 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:38 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754