Afe concern
Years ago

Age cut-offs in Victoria

With the upcoming Carnivals in Victoria in January - could someone please explain.... why is it that the age cut-offs are different in Victoria than SA and that invariably SA teams are playing older Vic kids. I understand here in SA you can not turn 16 in U16's and 14 in under 14's - Can someone please explain how it works in Vic - or is this actually and Urban Myth! Perhaps the "Victorian" could throw some light on this...

Topic #9682 | Report this topic

Age Concern  
Years ago

Sorry guys - should read AGE CONCERN no AFE Concern - dyslexic fingers......

Reply #110457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not true. Just more ignorance from SA people.

All states in Australia other than the Vic Country play under the FIBA age groups.

Some people think that becasue Vic kids are big that they are older. just not true. Only becasue they have a larger population base.

Reply #110459 | Report this post

o&b  
Years ago

I think ignorance may be a bit harsh! I've encourntered this as i was an SA junior and now live/play/coach in VIC. Vic metro age groups, and all the associated tournaments in the metro region are exactly the same as SA age groups (ie you cant turn 16 in under 16s). You may come across some older kids when you play in tournaments such as the Ballarat tournament in June etc, but the classic, nunawading (june) and Eltham/Dandy (Jan) are all 'normal' age groupings.

Reply #110460 | Report this post

Age Concern  
Years ago

Sorry - not ignorant - new Parent to B/Ball trying to seek correct information. Only one way to find out is to ask - thought thats what this site was for - not to be labelled as ignorant for asking a fairly valid question after all he incorrect info rec'd from other B/Ball parents - thanks for the info though pity you couldn't have answered in the spirit of which the question was asked.

Reply #110461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Age Concern,

You were stating that "the age cut-offs are different in Victoria than SA and that invariably SA teams are playing older Vic kids". This is an ignorant statement from somebody claiming to be new to basketball.

You then went on to ask why, not IF. You want a question answered don't make a statment.

Reply #110462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nothings fair, they're allowed to play with two heads in Tassie!

Reply #110473 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Does this make Taswegians older? At what stage is two heads an advantage? Its a goddam debilitation especially if you cant bloody coordinate all those eyes!!

Reply #110480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no - it is a real bonus - never get stripped of the ball, never be flattened by an unseen screen - literally have eyes in the back of your head, only decisin to make is - are you going backwards or forwards? Need to watch that centre line.

Reply #110503 | Report this post

Spinner  
Years ago

could set some great screens - imagine the screen and roll without having to do the head flick!!!!!

Reply #110508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bring a whole new meaning to the 'no look' pass - can't help but look - could set up some awesome deliveries on a fast break - rebound, no need to turn, just ditch it over your head.

Reply #110511 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

You people worry me. ;P

Anonymous strikes again.

Reply #110517 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Urban myth obviously

Reply #110532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and in tassie they cant have brothers or sisters on the same team cause bad things might happen (if you know what i mean ;)

Reply #119920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#549 Ignorance is wrong information retold as true: Do Vic Country play older Kids? And the Answer is?

Reply #119947 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:07 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754