hopeless
Years ago

Women v Men

Without everyone going no women's games are boring, could we have a debate about the pro's and con's about the differences in the game.

Personally I find a good women's game has more finer points of the game.

Talking high level here not under 10s of social grades, or Div 18 :) I think women's game offer more in the tatical side of the game.

My opinions here feel free to discuss but I feel that women's teams on the whole play defence and offence. Men's games tend to be shoot outs. Physicality and high scoring basketball of the nbl can be attractive but to a certain extent it is simply an 'entertainment' game I realise we don't have tv timeouts but we are controlled by TV.

I can be entertained by a close Lightning game but bored by a NBL game.

Women attempt to score more than the opposition and attempt to keep their opponents from scoring whereas lots (and I know the sixers are renown for their defence this is a generalisation) men attempt simply put more points on the board!

For the basketball purists what do you prefer?

Topic #969 | Report this topic

???  
Years ago

I agree. I often go to ABA games with my sons who play U12/U14. We make a point of getting to the games early to watch the women's game. The reason being it is much easier to observe things that they are being coached on in terms of offensive movement/spacing, team defense, boxing out etc. For youngsters watching a men's ABA game it can become a bit confusing as to why certain things are OK at that level but they get pinged for it in their games eg physical contact, carrying when bringing the ball down.

Reply #10712 | Report this post

Pink Panther  
Years ago

I find womens games too frustrating to watch. Mens games provide more skill, speed, strength and athletisism and just a better quality of basketball.

Reply #10714 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Agreed Pink Panther, when watching a womens game it is like in slow motion...

Reply #10717 | Report this post

rodman  
Years ago

why was then the North Women out ranked the North Men in attendance then last season ABL

Reply #10725 | Report this post

Mid Court Screen  
Years ago

Rodman, that is because the North men are the exception. They would have to be the most boring team to watch in the whole ABL, men and women leagues.

Not saying that they arn't a good team cos they are, but they rely heavily on their defence, which is fine....but very boring!

Reply #10738 | Report this post

hopeless  
Years ago

pink panther... a better quality of basketball is often open to debate

men's basketball is faster, and more physical obviously we don't see women slam dunk the ball often:)

however, there is more finesse in a women's game there are more facets of the game available in women's games to the run fast, shoot quicker run gun style of game.

Reply #10742 | Report this post

???  
Years ago

Mid Court Screen,

What did the Detroit Pistons base their game on last season?

Defence

When I was in the US recently there was a discussion going on re type of player to be picked up. There seems to be a consensus that money is better spent on role players, scrappers, stealers and blockers. The reason being that games are generally close where a couple of turnovers or forcing turnovers can win a game. There is an increasing focus in the US on looking at those type of stats in picking people to fill a team. Might be boring but it seems to be the emerging "recipe" to win titles.

Reply #10772 | Report this post

post d  
Years ago

If norths game is so boring as you state mid court screen, then it doesnt say much for your woeful 58 forestville points scored the other nite. Maybe everyone should play your style of defense, you know stand back and hope your man misses the shot, then cherry pick for a layup.

Reply #10786 | Report this post

Mid Court Screen  
Years ago

In reply to ???, i said that playing a defensive game was boring... i didn't say it's not effective. I love watching teams play hard nose D, but alot of people don't, and would prefer to watch a much free flowing game. This is why Brian Gorgions teams are no fun to watch, because he focuses more on defence, yet his win/loss record speaks for himself.

In reply to post d, your right, that low scoring game you are referring to was was a boring game to watch, which is exactly my point. Forestville were playing north at the time. Just another boring but effective game from North.
Cherry pick for a lay up? You're an idiot!

Reply #10792 | Report this post

Secretus Sciurus  
Years ago

Even bad male teams keep the scoreboard ticking over.
What hurts female basketball for the spectators is long periods without scores.
Scoring single digits for a quater!
It hapens to male teams too but not as often.

It was more enjoyable watching the Opals at the olympics than the Boomers.

Reply #10808 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:37 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754