Pure Silk
Years ago

Brendan Joyce

Interesting to read on the NBL website the following regarding Hawks coach Brendan Joyce. I know he carries on but steps like this would have to be a 1st in our game. I cant recall this happening before - definately in the public arena where sponsors have a huge say.

Here's the article for those who have not seen it.

A representative of the Board of the Wollongong IMB Hawks (the ýHawksý) along with Senior Management met this afternoon with B and J Management Pty Ltd, the company providing coaching services (the ýCoaching Companyý) to the Hawks and have issued that Coaching Company with a notice regarding the conduct of its agent, Brendan Joyce, whilst acting in his capacity as Head Coach of the Hawks.

The Board has received complaints from sponsors, members of the public and the NBL, regarding the behaviour of the Head Coach. This behaviour has more recently threatened to jeopardise the Clubýs relationships with sponsors. The issue has reached a point where repeated requests and counselling have failed to resolve the concerns of the Board expressed to the Coaching Company and Mr Joyce concerning such behaviour.

The notice issued by the Board states that the Coaching Company is in breach of its agreement with the Hawks and gives it 14 days to comply with its contractual obligations - in particular by ensuring that the Head Coach conducts himself at all times in an acceptable and satisfactory manner.

In practical terms, the Coaching Company has been requested to direct Mr Joyce that he is not to undertake any coaching or related roles until the Boardýs requirements are satisfied.

Acting Chairman, Mr Bob Elvy, said, ýThis is an unfortunate and regrettable decision however, we have an obligation to provide a family friendly experience and to act in the best interests of our Club and the game of basketball. The behaviour and language of the Head Coach while acting as a representative of this Club is unacceptable.ý

The notice issued by the Board to the Coaching Company does not impact in any way on the roles of the two Assistant Coaches.

===================================================

Note: The Hawks issued the following update to their earlier statement on Monday afternoon.

Further to the previous media release issued at 4:27pm today, discussions between the parties' representatives have led to a further development.

This development is that although the 14 day period under the notice still pertains, the Board has allowed a 48 hour ýcooling off periodý as a gesture of goodwill during which time it will not press its request that the coaching company withdraw Mr Joyce from coaching duties.

Topic #9691 | Report this topic

DrB  
Years ago

sounds like the board wants him out, and are putting the old code of conduct as the excuse. Bit like at work... pretty low i think from the club. Especially since the great work he is done at that club.

Reply #110573 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Another article in Sydney Morning Herald http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Hawks-ask-coach-Joyce-to-step-aside/2006/12/11/1165685612566.html#

Reply #110575 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Out of curiosity, what "great work" has Joyce done at the Hawks?

He has won 1 championship all the time he has been there, and only got there based on a very contentious semi-final decision.

He has a core of 2 (maybe 3) players...Saville, Campbell..and Ballinger (if you like)....plus Cortez Groves, who from memory was a late pick up this season because other import options did not work out.

Other than that they pick up journeymen and have trouble holding on to players (Darnell was out of there faster than a Marcus Timmons comeback)....

In my experiences with Joyce he has come across as arrogant, only interested in his own ego, and generally not that well liked even within his own organisation.

Interesting way it is set up though, that the coaching is basically contracted out to a 3rd party company....effectively meaning he is not an employee of the club. Not sure if this would make it easier or harder for them to get rid of him....but the writing is definitely on the wall.

Joyce to Adelaide???? I shudder at the thought.

Reply #110577 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Finally I agree with you yogee :P

I would hate to see Joyce here I believe he is similar to smyth in that he use to be a good coach but now is quite out dated. The fact that his son gets so many minutes is unbelievable. I think he is like Darren Ng but can't shoot and therefore has no place out on the court. However having said that when we are playing them I like him being out there as much as possible :)

Reply #110594 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Yogee, it wouldn't surprise me if the company Joyce works for is one where he is a director and is effectively a tax minimisation tool to mask employment as contracting. I'm not sure if they're common in the coaching world but for professionals who take on a number of temporary assignments each year (myself included) they're a great way to reduce tax and get more cash into the account.

If this is the case with Joyce I think someone should alert he ATO as he's been in the same job for a good while now, might have a tough time convinving the authorities it's just a temporary job. Nothing like kicking a man when he's down.

Reply #110598 | Report this post

stingray  
Years ago

People dont like his personality... he's a hard Nunawading boy who knows know different... he runs a tight ship and is ALWAYS competative.

He's bring life into the 36ers,

Reply #110600 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DrB, bit quick to defend there - "complaints from sponsors, members of the public and the NBL" - that doesn't sound like an isolated incident!

Yogee, I think you're flattering Campbell. Has taken a bit of a drop this season to 10.8 PPG, 3 RPG and 2 APG, shooting at 34% from the field and 65% FT. Copes and Ng can top those numbers.

Groves and Ballinger are an excellent import combination and Saville is a useful Aussie. After that, they're unpredictable. Rampton and Frank can be excellent value, or they can be "serviceable".

And I don't know that Joyce is a coach that players aim to play under.

Sounds like he's gone either now or at season's end.

Reply #110602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

someone should tell Price there might be a coaching job out there

Reply #110605 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

billo, on a side issue, why does it have to be a "temporary job" to avoid the ATO?

Reply #110613 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Anger Management issues with Brendan ---- Never! Every year Brendan makes a complaint that he's being screwed by something, someone, somewhere. This must have has been tolereated by all given that he's had some national coaching duties. But events take dramatic turns when you cant deliver the W.

So what about Phil - fewer W's for him? The one thing in Phils favour is "The Kate Moss defence" - Cop it on the chin, shut up, and get on with your lot.
No offence to Phil, but Kate's got some aesthetics working in her favour too whereas "dropped pie ugly" seems to be a prereq for NBL coaches.

Reply #110624 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

The Kate Moss defence??
I thought that meant suck it up!!!

Reply #110626 | Report this post

(Mod: Inappropriate. Please keep this on topic people - as much as all want a Kate Moss thread, this is about Joyce.)

Reply #110629 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

If she was a vacuum, it would be the Mosstril 20000..
Guaranteed to suck up lines of shit!!

Also comes with the Wendell attatchment.

Reply #110630 | Report this post

did you at least get a laugh mod ?

Reply #110632 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

At the bit about the closet, yes.

Reply #110634 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

lol the rock....

Sorry Isaac..

Back on topic then..What about the turnaround from the Hawks board from 14 days to 48 hours??
Why would this be?

Reply #110638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brendan Joyce is a good coach. I have bee coached by him and he is a really good coach. However it is obvious that his time at Wollongong should come to an end. His son being on the team has cluded his judgement and is preventing him from doing his job properly. Also I just think that the whole Hawks organisation needs change. brendan has been around a long time now and i simply think it is time for change. The roster has been pretty much the same for as long as i can remember now and things just need to be shaken up.
My predictions are that Brendan gets the Gold Coast job next year and someone else gets the Wollongong job. Ian Stacker maybe?

Reply #110639 | Report this post

philnaldo  
Years ago

Disclaimer he got a lucky title still makes me puke

Reply #110647 | Report this post

Rejoice for no Joyce's this christmas in the land of Woolly gong gongs .
Cheers DB5 . love the Mosstril 20000 I am gathering that the 20000 is the daily $ amount needed to sustain such a powerful engine .

Reply #110657 | Report this post

Soup Nazi  
Years ago

Sorry Isaac but Campbell is better than Ng and Copes - why because he is one of the toughest defenders in the league. He isn't getting as many min utes this year as Joyce is playing his son 25-30 minutes agmae - which is absurd.

Reply #110661 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Rumour: Daniel Joyce to Adelaide Southern Suns.

Reply #110665 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not saying that those guys are better than Campbell, just that he's no longer a top-tier player.

Reply #110666 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

The word is that the hawks are in financial trouble, and they are using his 'behaviour' to sack him. Its pretty clear that they are trying to ease there expenditure. Last year they allowed crocs to have discussions with Joyce.

The Bad behaviour - is this swearing during fox matches? If so
this could affect many coaches and now gives clubs another avenue to sack there coaches.

Reply #110667 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Isacc i agree also reference Campbell he is not a top tear player anymore

Reply #110668 | Report this post

Magpie  
Years ago

This may be a stupid question , but what the go with the "ycoachingy" thingys? Why the y?

Reply #110675 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Incorrect transcoding of characters from one set to another - probably "Smart Quotes" not being transcoded correctly.

You will see them here and there - e.g., double exclamation mark in place of a dash/hyphen, a weird sideways T in place of an apostrophe, etc.

Reply #110678 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Billo - Tax my speciality, as I am bored this arvo, I'll give you a free bit of tax advice re Mr Joyce, and maybe even you.

I think (no I know) your comments are probably ok re your situation providing there are multiple contracts with different Employers and no-one organisation pay you more than 80% of your total yearly income.

But I doubt very much he would be ok.

Refer ATO Personal Services Income.....introduced about 6 years ago.

"From 1 July 2000, changes to the tax law may affect the personal services income of contractors and consultants. Income is personal services income if it is mainly a reward for an individual's personal efforts or skills. This applies regardless of whether the income is received directly by the individual or is received by a company, trust or partnership (personal services entity)."

Bottom line for him I think would be that at least 80% of his total income would come from one source ...the Hawks.

And I'm not going to touch the"individuals personal efforts or skills" bit, as thats subjective.

But for him that clause says its all over red rover!

Doesn't nmatter how he declares it, its all his income to him prsonally.

If its less than 80% (but I doubt it) there are then a range of other tests as well.

Hope this clarifies.

No charge.

Reply #110727 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Forgot to say, and I think it was Lockstock's point - makes no difference whether you are part time or full time, its the source of the income that is the test.

Reply #110728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#675 I think it is one of those dyslexic computers. You know, we curse them all the time cause the words on the screen never correspond to the words in our heads.

Reply #110736 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Was going to mention PSI measures to Billo but he's overseas earning gazillion dollars so he's probably forgotten Aus tax law.

I wonder if Joyce will keep his job as Boomer's assistant if he is terminated from the Hawks.

Reply #110744 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Isaac - wasnt commenting on how good/bad the players are..just the fact that Cambell, Saville and Ballinger would be the only 3 who have stayed longer than 1/2 seasons.

Reply #110747 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Rat10 and Fiji, I know pretty much how these tests are applied, don't really know the ins and outs intimately as it's been a while since I've plied my trade in Australia, the point I was making about permanent v temporary was the same as you Fiji but without the technicalities spelled out, basically that essentially all his income is derived from the same source and it should therefore be attributed as personal income.

Wow, talk about getting off topic in the worst possible way. Apologies to those who've been caught up in this ugly digression.

A little less tax law, a little more hoops talk.

Reply #110794 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Maybe the ATO will put him through the Hoops?

Reply #110825 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

is there such thing as a deflated basketball icon?

Reply #110886 | Report this post

No ! but there is probably one deflated spirit now :-(

Reply #110891 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:14 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754