Nick
Years ago

NBA Teams Playing In Australia

(I know I've been posting a lot lately but there's nothing to do and heaps to talk about!).

Anyway, it would be so incredibly awesome if NBA teams came to Australia to play against one or two NBL teams. I know we would get a thorough beating but it would be sooo good to watch anyway and it would surely sell out stadiums for the first time in quite a while. I think you'd have to have it so that the NBA teams only play against the best NBL clubs other wise it would get pretty ugly. Or perhaps get NBA teams to play against each other over here if NBA vs. NBL gets too one sided. The commish of the NBA, David Stern has said that something along the lines of NBA in Australia might be a possibility. I really hope it happens because not only would it be great to see NBA players it would probably give Aussie basketball a big boost. And also what happened to the McDonalds championship where championship winning clubs from all over the world plus one NBA team played each other in a knockout tournament?

Topic #9712 | Report this topic

DB5  
Years ago

The NBA were worried that one of their teams might lose, so they canned it..

I beleive there were talks of an NBA match being played here to start the season off,like this year in Japan??

Has been posted previously on here, personally I would make the road trip if it happened, would be awesome!

Reply #110858 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Why couldn't we get a team to come out to Australia for there pre season training (like the Lakers used to go to Hawaiki) and then play the Boomers in a few friendly's.

Maybe the new Gold Coast franchise could arrange with a large hotel or resort to do a joint tourism venture that could promote the region as a destination and they could advertise and show all the games (with a week long documentary made surrounding the teams time on the Gold Cost), the cost for this could be split between the Gold Coast tourism commission, the NBA and the new Gold Coast side. To help with international exposure the games could be shown on NBA TV.

Reply #110869 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Show em on free to air TV would be better Jimmy..
Not a bad idea though...

Reply #110879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They play under different rules.

Reply #110896 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

So????
Play under international rules..works okay at minor events like the Olympics!

Reply #110898 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Any NBA pre season game out side of America will not be on free to air in the United States, so that form of media should be used as an incentive to lure the sponsorship of an international hotel or resort looking at increasing distribution of there product into America.

Free to Air TV for basketball, especially for the Boomers is a long way of. The first step Basketball Australia should be looking at doing if it want to get the Australian national team on Free to Air TV is to increase the Boomers popularity beyond the basketball demographic; they need to make the Boomers brand recognisable in the general public. The governing bodies for Rugby Union and Australian Soccer have been able to use the Wallabies and Socceroos brands as a leverage point to reach out and introduce new people to there sport. Basketball Australia should be working at implementing this brand awareness exercise to help increase the awareness of A) the sport of Basketball and B) the Men's and Women's national team (have they played in Australia since they won the WC gold medal?)

The NBA is still a huge draw card for semi interested sports fans (non-basketball fans) in this country and by being able to attract an NBA team to come down under for a few per season games (possibly 3 or 4 games in a week) would allow BA to attract as many as 40,000  50,000 people to watch the sport. The games would have to be held in Queensland (Gold Coast), Sydney (Acer Arena) and Melbourne (Rod Laver) and if a 4th game was to be played possibly Adelaide or Perth

The spin off would be for increased tourism, relationship building between the NBL/BA and the NBA, another major sponsor who has gained a positive retune from there revenue they used to sponsor the sport.

Come on BA, pick up the phone and ring the NBA and propose the possibility of this happening.

Reply #110933 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

NBA clubs play European teams in pre season games so why not the Australian national side as the NBL clubs would get smashed and it would be a waste of time.

The Boomers would challenge most NBA teams so it would be beneficial as a pre season exercise

Reply #110934 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

But the Boomers are an Nbl side......remember..

Jimmy I was meaning free to air TV here...for the same reason that you are saying, to get more of the general public interested..

It's funny how the Socceroos were going to get a ticker tape parade for losing, yet the girls get nothing for winning Australia's first basketball gold medal...

Reply #110939 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Obviously the any NBA team is going to beat any NBL team but I reckon a game between an NBA club and one of the best NBL clubs (this year it would be melbourne or brisbane)wouldn't be a complete blowout. I'm not certain tho.

Reply #110941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DB8

Why would a NBA team want to play under international rules?

Reply #110942 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

True, then they lose...
I was answering the comment about them playing under different rules..the fairest way would be to play international rules, anyone on the team that has played world champs or olympics would be able to adjust, and the USA would possibly learn them a bit better and hopefully that would reduce another excuse they use when they lose..

Reply #110948 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

International rules are exactly the same as the NCAA college game, how dumb are theses NBA player?

DB5  since when have the Boomers been an NBL side? I must have missed that joke.

Reply #110951 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy.....
Look at the queens squad mate, it is the Boomers...That is the joke, and a poor one at that, especially when guys goorj doesn't pick are tearing it up....ie Catmandoo Dmac Harvey...

Reply #110954 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Word was that Goorj wanted to pick DMac but BA vetoed, suggesting that he should choose a younger player. Harvey was injured too IIRC.

Reply #110955 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

DB5

Yeah i understand now.

"Where the bloody hell" (TM B. Fevola)would they play the game but if it happened?..... Sydney of course.

Reply #110961 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754