SkyHigh
Years ago

Imports as Boomers

If any Australian Import became an Australian Citizen what player/players would you choose to be a Boomer?
I would choose Willie Farley, Cortez Groves, Mike Helms, Larry Abney, Carlos Powell or Dave Thomas.

Topic #9724 | Report this topic

manager  
Years ago

never ever ever willie farley

Reply #111041 | Report this post

Anon-e-mouse  
Years ago

Manager - Please explain........

Reply #111048 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

manager...... why???

Reply #111077 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

What needs explaining? A guy that pretends to play defence by waving his hands, lets his man get past him and doesn't rotate or recover, doesn't go over or under screens on the wing but just gives up behind the play and someone with pretty average shot selection with a poor shooting percentage.

Reply #111078 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Manager and Double Clutch,

Here are Willie Farleys 2006/07 stats.

20.42 PPG
5.21 RBS
1.47 STLS

Pretty good numbers.

Not only that but Willie's has reasonable defence and is as exciting as hell in offence, eg. his dunk on heal and his alley-oop from copes.

This guy is a great player so stop giving him sh*t.

Reply #111103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cortez, exposive player who can set players up as well as himself. If we lost willie and cortez was free he would be the man i go after, And dave thomas.

Reply #111104 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Nick,

20.4ppg on 41%FG and 30% 3PT is not good in terms of efficiency.

Exciting on offence? More than 33% of the shots Willie puts up are 3 point attempts. This from a guy shooting 30% beyond the arc this season. Phil's system relies on a motion offence where the ball is meant to move quickly. Instead Farley predictably crosses the ball over 3 or 4 times without purpose before trying to go left every time, otherwise forcing up a miss going right or a pass under pressure to a team-mate with the clock running down. Why not catch and try using his first step to get in the lane attacking defender's high foot for once? This predictable routine is just one facet in which Farley shows his mental softness.

"Not only that but Willie's has reasonable defence"

So please explain what you are seeing that I don't. I just described his defensive liabilities, which are plain to see for anyone who has ever played the game at any level and for many who haven't either. Always goes under screens no matter how hot a 3 point shooter is (Cortez and Saville 38 and 36 when Saville was having a terrible season). Waves his hands frantically but always has terrible position one on one and refuses to move laterally with his opponent. John Rillie in his peak never got a Boomers gig in his prime due to his poor lateral movement and meanwhile the current national coach is talking of our defensive liabilities in our top line Australian talent compared to European opponents so why would anyone put Farley in who is one of the worst defensive players in the league even by the NBL's low defensive standards.

As I mentioned above, his rotation is non existent, when his man gets on his hip he stops, doesn't recover, doesn't get into defensive rebounding position or leak for a fast-break and won't hustle for a loose ball when it comes near.

How about this Nick, I'll stop giving him shit if you give me anything to refute my claims about him.

Reply #111108 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Double Clutch, it's very simple... I just dont see how you can give a man shit who has been in the NBL All-Star game the past two years. The All-Star game, as you would know, is for the top 20 or so basketballers in the counrty and Willie in it.

Reply #111132 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Nick Horvath . The guy can get it done and play to a system where he doesnt get a lot of touches. When we are having a tough time finding healthy big men - he can 4 or 5 .

I am a converted Horvath fan.
At the begining of the season i was critical of Phil etc flying to the USA to recruit a player we had seen before - but he has worked out really well IMO.
Give the guy a bit more of the ball and he gets 30/12 every night. Also changes a lot of shots in D.

Reply #111133 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Nick, 10 or so imports make the allstar team every year, its not that big an accomplishment considering the calibre of imports in the league lately. He's lazy on D, makes bad decisions with the ball. Groves, Powell, Abney, Horvath etc would all be better value as a Boomer.

Reply #111136 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Nick, how can you possibly justify a guys defense with All-Star selections? On that note, Steve Nash and Vince Carter are the best defenders in the NBA...

Reply #111137 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

I'm not talking about defence alone... I'm just saying that the guy's a good all-round player. Some people on this site are unbelievable. You bag everyone! Willie's been a great player for us ever since he joined and he definitely doesn't deserve this. Even Ebe Eri said Willie was one of his favorites players. Pretty soon Willie's going to have doozy and when he does you'll be fans again.

Reply #111149 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

" Even Ebe Eri said Willie was one of his favorites players"

Well in that case, he must be good??

Sorry Nick, I dont speak your freaky deaky language!

Reply #111165 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Nick, you realise that a good all-round player plays D too, don't you? A player who's good on offense but so much on D isn't a good all round player.

I don't think anyone is saying that Willie isn't a good player, because he is, but the flaws in his game being pointed out are about his D, yet your argument is that he makes All-star teams and Ebi Ere likes him, and yet you expect us to say he's great all the time....

Reply #111168 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Just a correction, the second line of my post should read:

...good on offense but NOT so much on D isn't a good all round player.

Reply #111169 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Let's settle this once and for all. What I meant by the Ebi Ere things was that an NBL player as apposed to a fan would know a good player when he sees one. Any way, forget that. I think Willie is a great player, I haven't noticed him slacking off in D but you could be right. You people like Double Clutch that are saying that Willie isn't much good or he has massive faults that's fine, you are entitled to your own opinion, as wrong as it may be. Lets just move back to the original topic and stop arguing about Farley because its getting boring.

Reply #111176 | Report this post

SkyHigh  
Years ago

Everyone has something wrong with their game!! But i think that everytime you see Willie play he does something special, he played alongside Rafer Alston in College at Fresno!! He also played in the And1 Mixtape team with Rafer for a small period of time. He is a great player and i am glad that we have such a great player in our National League.

Reply #111184 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Absolutley, SkyHigh, good to see someone on this forum has some sense.

Reply #111201 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

SkyHigh, did you just make that up about Willie playing in the mixtape team? Can you substantiate these claims? I'd be very surprised this was the first I'd heard of it.

And by the way, playing in the mixtape team in no way qualifies someone for international ball!!

Reply #111213 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I believe Willie does appear in one of the (early?) mixtapes.

Reply #111219 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

Nick , by good all around i guess you mean dancing all around the three point line then chucking up the most difficult shot possible .
Then after making a one looking all around the crowd with a snarl , looking for some admiration .
As stated previously waving his arms all around on d only to realise his man has waltzed around him for an easy deuce .
And just all around playing when it suits his mood .
However he has lifted lately and rightly bloody well so .
Sorry i forgot his brilliant all around MJ impersonation .

Reply #111224 | Report this post

SkyHigh  
Years ago

Yeah he is in one of the earlier misxtapes. I think it is the 2nd or 3rd not to sure. Willie even stated it in an interview last year.

Reply #111239 | Report this post

Max  
Years ago

i would take carlos powell defeinitely..this guy is a potential nba draft pick..while playing for a sub-standard team in the ANBL i remember just how much he dominated..he had games of 40 and 50 points!! great inside and outside game as well as athleticism!!

Reply #139334 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:37 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754