PPDO
Years ago

Answers RE: Exibition Game in Port Pirie

This post is to answer questions about the game this weekend.
I may be able to answer a few now.......
This exibition game is for the country people who have not seen this league play. The idea is to expose the country public to quality basketball that some will never see. This is also a promotion to our best senior country basketballers to challege their skills against season performers because the senior country only gets to play once a year (State Country Senior Champs on Jan long wend), apart from the Mini Blitz that is held in Port Pirie in Feb (which was only started last year).
The training session on the Sunday is for all juniors in our area to get coaching from the players they watched the night before.
And the one most people will ask......... The reason why i picked Southern is because i know a few coaches from Southern and it was easy to get a contact to organise the weekend...
Finally i would like to add this game and the weekend will only have one winner? Basketball!

Topic #9727 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you lied when you said Southern made all the contact. On top of that you bagged the city comps ie Mini Blitz and did not ask the club that supports your local carnival. Any club in SA is approachable, and probably would have come up on an invite.

Yes Basketball will be the winner but you have burnt some bridges along the way.

Reply #111061 | Report this post

PPDO  
Years ago

re: Exhibition game with Southern and Country (#109880)
The game is an exibition game and the training on the Sunday is for the country kids to get training from the players that played the night before. I dont see what all the fuss is. Whats wrong will Adelaide Bball coming to a country town and playing against quality country bballers? And to stop all the whinging... It was my idea and Southern were generous enough to help out. Let the games and crowd speak for all you people who bag it...

No, you just got your facts wrong?
Thats what i said, you on the other hand should think before you start replying?
Didnt bag city Mini Blitz, just stated that ours is for prize money.
Just for my sake, which club are you talking about.
And to quote you "Yes Basketball will be the winner but you have burnt some bridges along the way.
Maybe but if you know of me then its not the first time and ill let you know it wont be the last time i upset someone for the good promotion of basketball.

Reply #111067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PPDO,

How many years has Norwood been coming to your carnival?

Reply #111072 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Seriously what is all the commotion about? Southern got the gig, good for them, but BIG DEAL!! Are you guys really that cut up about not being able to go???

Get over it.

Reply #111075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lockstock, Its about loyalty, support others and hopefully they return the favour.

Ohh thats right your club has never beleived in that have they?

Reply #111086 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You pack of whinging knobs, get over it.

Good on Southern for being pro-active and developing the game in a country district . I hope they are able to encourage a few promising junior players to trial before the coming winter season....Its not like they are struggling for numbers across their grades, maybe this can help improve the overall strength of the club. Not like it hasn't been happening anywhere else now has it.

Reply #111089 | Report this post

bill  
Years ago

I agree good on you southern going to country and its good for the kids up there too.

Reply #111177 | Report this post

colonel clink  
Years ago

it is clearly a win for southern - you cant tell me there will not be a recruiting suggestion or two.

any club in their right mind would never knock back promising talent.

pirie has been a pace setter and delivering good kids for basketball and it is close enough to drive.

it is a competition and nowhere it says that norwood have rights to pirie basketball. pirie do - if they go with southern that is fine.

accept southern got the gig and - norwood why don't you try for next year ? or mt gambier etc

remember it is a basketball 'competition"

Reply #111182 | Report this post

Meaks  
Years ago

Who wants to come to Port Lincoln and play against us, i'm sure we would give you a run!!!

Reply #111194 | Report this post

PPDO  
Years ago

Meaks you may ask anonymous 111061 but i dont think they will be able to get over that burnt bridge at Pt Pirie?

Reply #111195 | Report this post

Pirie burnt the bridge with petty small-mindedness. Would not have happened in Terry Casey's day - he always showed far more class.

Reply #111203 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

What great publicity this game is getting. I'm sure everyone involved would say thank you. Yes basketball is the winner. More clubs should do the same thing.

Reply #111212 | Report this post

Meaks  
Years ago

I'm sure they could by pass that burnt bridge and charter a Rex flight, i will make them welcome!!! Any ABL clubs wanting to get a preseason game and coaching clinic in Port Lincoln please let me know and i will speak with the guys in Lincoln and get things organised. We have a decent team over here so it wouldnt be a waste of time...I can be reached wia the Port Lincoln Police Station just ask for Ryan Meakin.... Cheers

Reply #111265 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Well there you go all ABL clubs Pt Lincoln awaits. It would be good if other clubs got off there bums and promoted ABL basketball in the country!

Reply #111328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what was the crowd and did they get a good turnout for the clinics?

Reply #111790 | Report this post

IzzyT  
Years ago

Old post new add-on.

It was a very successful night!

Our juniors really stepped up to the challenge & went down by only 1 point in the dying seconds of the game.

The 18 boys consisted of 7 bottom age U18 players & 1 U16 who was honored as a member of the previous years U16 State Championships representatives.

Tim Dunkley, Brad Ley, Matthew Spadavecchia, Lewis Johnston, Matthew Leske, Kolbi Whittaker, Travis Edwards (with broken nose) & Trent Hoare.

The A Women contest was just that for 3 quarters. Southern gave our girls the jump in the first quarter to take out a 15 point lead. The final game score ended up being just 16 points, so a fair effort for 3 quarters. It wasn't our best representative side on the floor, we went with 6 junior players all aged 15 & 18 to give them a taste of quality adult competition.

The men ended up being a farce..... Southern were awesome & we just couldn't go with them at all allowing for a 40 somethign defeat, but it was still a challenge for Southern as Pirie didn't let up easy shots & there was even a ejection, so the excitement stuck all night.

I don't know the turn out for the Sunday, but I heard it was good.

As for Southern being the 'selected' club, I have no idea about, but Norwood please do not hold this against the Port Pirie Association as it was 1 person namely Matt Whittaker who presented the BOM with the idea, dates etc.
No matter who he brought forward for the contest, it would have been a YES vote & the idea was to actually rotate it if it had a positive outcome.

Reply #121180 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:00 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754